• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 1 - Waratahs vs Hurricanes @ Brookvale - Saturday 16 February 2019

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/02/13/super-rugby-waratahs-team-hurricanes-brookvale-oval

side is up
1. Harry Johnson-Holmes

2. Damien Fitzpatrick

3. Sekope Kepu

4. Jed Holloway

5. Rob Simmons

6. Ned Hanigan

7. Michael Hooper

8. Jack Dempsey

9 .Jake Gordon

10. Bernard Foley

11. Curtis Rona

12. Karmichael Hunt

13. Adam Ashley-Cooper

14. Alex Newsome

15. Israel Folau

Reserves

16. Tolu Latu

17. Rory O’Connor

18. Chris Talakai

19. Lachlan Swinton

20. Will Miller

21. Mitch Short

22. Mack Mason

23. Cam Clark

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/02/13/super-rugby-waratahs-team-hurricanes-brookvale-oval

side is up

1. Harry Johnson-Holmes

2. Damien Fitzpatrick

3. Sekope Kepu

4. Jed Holloway

5. Rob Simmons

6. Ned Hanigan

7. Michael Hooper

8. Jack Dempsey

9 .Jake Gordon

10. Bernard Foley

11. Curtis Rona

12. Karmichael Hunt

13. Adam Ashley-Cooper

14. Alex Newsome

15. Israel Folau

Reserves

16. Tolu Latu

17. Rory O’Connor

18. Chris Talakai

19. Lachlan Swinton

20. Will Miller

21. Mitch Short

22. Mack Mason

23. Cam Clark

No le Reoux Roets or beale

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Roets has a concussion issue, surprised Beale wasn't at least on the bench, I haven't heard he's carrying an injury. I'm guessing, as Silverado said, Hanigan is the cover for lock, with Swinton to come on at 6. I like the side, sure the reserve props are very inexperienced, but I guess with both Robbo and Vui out we would always have an issue.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Roets has a concussion issue, surprised Beale wasn't at least on the bench, I haven't heard he's carrying an injury. I'm guessing, as Silverado said, Hanigan is the cover for lock, with Swinton to come on at 6. I like the side, sure the reserve props are very inexperienced, but I guess with both Robbo and Vui out we would always have an issue.
Reports in the press is that Beale is being rested. Strange call when you consider that we have Sunwolves next week and then a bye..Talakai is a beast at scrum time but lacks a bit in open play. O’connor Is the opposite but I hope they step up. Good luck boys

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My issues with Hunt as a defender go back to his Reds/Wallabies days. I have seen him make some very embarrassing misses in the past.

Nevertheless, as FP says, he is probably still the best option for the Tahs. Certainly a big step up on Beale.

Aggressive defenders miss some, it comes with the package

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Reports in the press is that Beale is being rested. Strange call when you consider that we have Sunwolves next week and then a bye..Talakai is a beast at scrum time but lacks a bit in open play. O’connor Is the opposite but I hope they step up. Good luck boys

If the wallabies are going down the same path as AB’s and saying major wallabies must be rested 2 games it kinda makes sense though, miss this game where everyone is rusty and anything could happen into the Sunwolves next week, followed by a bye and that’s his “resting” done for the year and he can get on with super rugby

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A little surprised Beale hasn't been named on the bench, but if you're not going to start him this week then getting one of his rest weeks out of the way in lieu of him playing 30 minutes or less probably makes sense.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Can you really call it being rested if hasn’t played since November? I’m all for managing workloads but this just seems like box ticking.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can you really call it being rested if hasn’t played since November? I’m all for managing workloads but this just seems like box ticking.

I agree, but there's probably also the consideration that with a shorter preparation, there's a higher risk playing in this game than when he's had longer to prepare.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well considering everyone is writing the Tahs off because of said boxes, i'm glad its being ticked now and not at the meaty end of the season.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)

im being a bit cynical here but i think it's 100% just box ticking, the AUS super teams don't really care about the wallabies, they just want whats best for them (rightly or wrongly)

I wouldn't have been surprised if they rested all their major wallabies in one hit out of the gates in rd 1+2. Round 1 is always essentially another trial game, absolutely anything can happen in them - i'm sure Gibson would have at least thought about rolling the dice and resting KB (Kurtley Beale), Kepu (although harder given our prop stocks), Hooper, Foley, Folau all in one go

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Of all the core Wallabies in the squad i think Hooper is the one that should be rested the most.

He finally started to break down last season, and his first serious injury seemed to impact his performances. Can't rely on the guy to play every minute of every match for club and country every single year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
HURRICANES (15-1): Jordie Barrett, Vince Aso, Matt Proctor, Ngani Laumape, Ben Lam, Fletcher Smith, TJ Perenara (c), Gareth Evans, Ardie Savea, Reed Prinsep, Liam Mitchell, James Blackwell, Jeff To’omaga-Allen, Ricky Riccitelli, Chris Eves
Reserves: Dane Coles, Xavier Numia, Ben May, Isaia Walker-Leawere, Du’Plessis Kirifi, Finlay Christie, James Marshall, Wes Goosen