• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 1 - Waratahs vs Hurricanes @ Brookvale - Saturday 16 February 2019

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's a very strong backline, even without Beauden Barrett. Ardie Savea should provide enough go forward to allow the Hurricane backs to control the game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ouch Fifita out for Canes has been carrying hamstring injury, geez not sure they needed to lose anymore pack experience!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Really makes you laugh, doesn't it?

According to Bernard Foley:

"To be at home, to be back at Brookvale where we had such a great reception last year, it's great to play in those suburban grounds where they can get very vocal and quite loud and make it hopefully into the fortress that it has been known as."

Result last year, Blues 24, Tahs 21.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

"To be at home, to be back at Brookvale where we had such a great reception last year, it's great to play in those suburban grounds where they can get very vocal and quite loud and make it hopefully into the fortress that it has been known as."

I assume he's talking about being a fortress for Manly in the NRL.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)

really reaching arent ya

its been known as a fortress in RL for YEARS

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Given the ticket sales they should do a match there every year.

I wish they would do one at North Sydney.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Brookvale is too hard to get to for it to be home for more than 1-2 games per season, you appease to everyone on the north shore but it's super inconvenient for everyone else. I am a big fan of them moving around alot more though

3x Allianz
2x Parra
1x Jubilee oval
1xCtown
1xNewcastle/Gong/Somewhere more rural

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Brookvale is too hard to get to for it to be home for more than 1-2 games per season, you appease to everyone on the north shore but it's super inconvenient for everyone else. I am a big fan of them moving around alot more though

3x Allianz
2x Parra
1x Jubilee oval
1xCtown
1xNewcastle/Gong/Somewhere more rural
Well 23 000 people don’t think it’s that hard to get to. There’s a big rugby following down on the beaches but they don’t travel that much. It’s a good market to tap into and I wouldn’t mind a few games a season there even with Allianz in operation.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Well 23 000 people don’t think it’s that hard to get to. There’s a big rugby following down on the beaches but they don’t travel that much. It’s a good market to tap into and I wouldn’t mind a few games a season there even with Allianz in operation.

you literally just repeated what i said. good for north shore, shit for everyone else

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

It is bloody hard to get to.

We are going tomorrow night but will need to leave home at 5:30 and drive because any other option is ridiculous.

We'll use public transport for Parramatta and SCG games.

If they were playing more games at Brookvale I wouldn't go to all of them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

We are going tomorrow night but will need to leave home at 5:30 and drive because any other option is ridiculous.

One a year seems alright tho.

Or, even just rotate one local match a year. Like Para one year, Brookie, then North Sydney, etc.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One a year seems alright tho.

Or, even just rotate one local match a year. Like Para one year, Brookie, then North Sydney, etc.

I'd be happy keeping multiple games at the new Parramatta Stadium.

The other big problem with Brookvale (and any suburban ground) is that the facilities are awful. It takes forever to get a beer, get food, go to the toilet. etc.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Corporate facilities at Brookvale are pretty awful - I know the Tahs have lost several big sponsors this year because of what they were able to offer in entertainment packages to the sponsors.

A game of year seems like a good idea, any more than that and you really alienate most of Sydney who spend hours getting there

southsider

Arch Winning (36)

This is what I don’t get, for all its flaws at least Allianz is accessible to pretty much everyone via one train trip and the added bonus of all the workers already there if it’s a Friday night fixture

Double Agent

Allen Oxlade (6)
Corporate facilities at Brookvale are pretty awful - I know the Tahs have lost several big sponsors this year because of what they were able to offer in entertainment packages to the sponsors.

Yeah I have mate who gets a box at a Manly game once a year and I go along with him, you get a year's supply of old school fried food in one huge hit. Always a fun night but best to leave any cholesterol tests for a while. Surprisingly the general food options there aren't too bad, they often have a South American style food van down behind the hill which is pretty good from memory. Not sure if it will be there for this game.