• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 1 - Waratahs vs Hurricanes @ Brookvale - Saturday 16 February 2019

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'd be happy keeping multiple games at the new Parramatta Stadium.

The other big problem with Brookvale (and any suburban ground) is that the facilities are awful. It takes forever to get a beer, get food, go to the toilet. etc.
Yeah, i watched most of the SS final from the beer queue at North Sydney a few years back.

I still think it's fun as a one off though.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Allianz is equally as hard to get to if you don’t live on a train line. The punters have spoken, 5k more at Brookvale than the largest crowd at Allianz last year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Allianz is equally as hard to get to if you don’t live on a train line. The punters have spoken, 5k more at Brookvale than the largest crowd at Allianz last year.

That's assuming a sell out. It isn't sold out yet and there's no way of telling how many members will show up.

Hopefully it is close to a full house tomorrow night as that would be great but I don't think you can assume that if you played all your games at Brookvale that the locals would turn up all season. Likewise, nor would members who it is very inconvenient for that are willing to do one or two games but not more at the venue.

Also, Allianz is within 5km of the Sydney CBD and 1km from Central Station. I don't think you can say it is equally hard to get to. Brookvale Oval is 22km from the CBD.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I agree BH that Brookvale isn’t geographically as central as Allianz is. I do think Brookvale is more accessible for more Sydney rugby fans than Allianz. Of course, I can see how this ticks off loyal supporters and corporates but hey if we want more people at the game...

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That's assuming a sell out. It isn't sold out yet and there's no way of telling how many members will show up.

Hopefully it is close to a full house tomorrow night as that would be great but I don't think you can assume that if you played all your games at Brookvale that the locals would turn up all season. Likewise, nor would members who it is very inconvenient for that are willing to do one or two games but not more at the venue.

Also, Allianz is within 5km of the Sydney CBD and 1km from Central Station. I don't think you can say it is equally hard to get to. Brookvale Oval is 22km from the CBD.
How many members with season passes are there?
Do you know where they all live?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How many members with season passes are there?
Do you know where they all live?

I thought it has been around 10k and makes up the bulk of every attendance.

I have no idea where they all live but I do know that no one in my group lives on the Northern Beaches.

For absolute certain a bunch of members live on the Northern Beaches and even more on the North Shore but there's also plenty who don't.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I thought it has been around 10k and makes up the bulk of every attendance.

I have no idea where they all live but I do know that no one in my group lives on the Northern Beaches.

For absolute certain a bunch of members live on the Northern Beaches and even more on the North Shore but there's also plenty who don't.
I would have thought the biggest test was how does it affect those from the west,which is the population centre.

I live in the northern beaches,it’s easier to get to Penrith Park or whatever they call it now, than to Allianz more often than not.

Of course Brookie is a much tougher commute for those that live close to Allianz.
10k Tahs members?
I would have thought that SCG members made up the bulk of the crowds st Allianz

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
10k Tahs members?
I would have thought that SCG members made up the bulk of the crowds st Allianz

My take is there are always more people on the lower tier on the western side of the ground (Tahs members) than the upper tier (Gold Members).

SCG members don't get Allianz access. That's why there was a crowd increase for the Reds game last year when SCG members could attend as there are a lot more SCG members than Gold Members (and why the SCG Trust is particularly keen on having games at the SCG).

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
My take is there are always more people on the lower tier on the western side of the ground (Tahs members) than the upper tier (Gold Members).

SCG members don't get Allianz access. That's why there was a crowd increase for the Reds game last year when SCG members could attend as there are a lot more SCG members than Gold Members (and why the SCG Trust is particularly keen on having games at the SCG).
Oh ok SCG gold members,not SCG members.

My perception was that the upper tier had occupied seats much deeper than those occupied below, by a combo of Tahs members and paying public.
So I’d be most surprised if Tahs members were anything like the numbers you suggest.

Of course the SCG would rather the games were played at their only other venue rather than the alternatives.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
really reaching arent ya

its been known as a fortress in RL for YEARS

As a former resident of Manly Warringah area, I am fully aware of the value of the ground to the MW League team. Though in the past couple of years I would think there has been an almighty dent put into that reputation.

But why would a Rugby player channel League to make that statement. Just more nonsense coming from a player put in front of the press.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
As a former resident of Manly Warringah area, I am fully aware of the value of the ground to the MW League team. Though in the past couple of years I would think there has been an almighty dent put into that reputation.

But why would a Rugby player channel League to make that statement. Just more nonsense coming from a player put in front of the press.

Jesus manly to Canberra, my condolences

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting that they have reported on the radio today that the NRL clubs are boycotting Brookvale as the state of the field is considered an injury risk. Apparently a trial game scheduled there next weekend has been moved.

Hope all the players get through unscathed tonight.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don't get how it would be 'unsafe' short of actual potholes on the field.
I don’t know what the problem is, but if there has been grass newly laid which hasn’t yet taken root it would certainly be a risk to knee injuries. That would be the most obvious issue I could think of. A couple of Australian fields had that issue a few seasons ago.