• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 10 - Reds v Chiefs, Saturday 21st April 2018 7:45pm @ Lang Park

Who wins?

• Reds

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Chiefs

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Chiefs will be down to their fourth-choice loosehead prop with Aiden Ross confirmed as gone for the season as are Atu Moli & Kane Hames. Also missing Nepo Laulala at tighthead & several locks. I haven't seen much of the Reds this year but it sounds like they're going OK up front so maybe that's where they can look to dominate. But, yeah, their D will have to be on point or they'll get ripped up.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Can't see the Reds being the ones to break the NZ drought with their limited attack. If they can muscle up they might be able to keep it respectable at best.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So, while I think Thorn deserves the critique things can turn quickly. He has produced turnarounds already and shown that IF the team stays to it's core Thorn principals, opportunities can open enough to score. Then the others need to get over. And if they are smothering things well enough oppositions can struggle.

It would be unexpected, but not impossible for the Reds to get up.

A whole lot less likely than getting a thumping, but who knows. I'll be dialing in.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think the primary objective for Thorn and the Reds this season is just to get defensive principles in tact before trying to be more adventurous. That may yet come this season in the latter part so just because they have not been that great when attacking does not mean they will remain that way indefinitely.

Trust me, as a Stormers supporter it beats having things the other way around where you try to implement a defensive system to suit the attacking plan in place rather than build on the defensive system in place to create attacking opportunities.

Not sure who Thorn's assistants are or what their credentials are but they may be limited due to what's available in the back room too.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Well the opposition is not a SA team so that should keep him impartial. But he was really bad for one of the Kiwi sides recently in SA. I can't remember who was playing who, but he and his assistants had no knowledge of the offside rule with the local side, and did they exploit it.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
George Smith & Tongan Thor looks like they might be in the starting side.
This combined with the fact that the Chiefs are down 6 props to injury you would think will make the scrums one sided.
Almost worth doing a few knock-ons to see if we can get some penalties.

FIXED:)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
St.George Queensland Reds team to play Chiefs
7:45pm AEST, Saturday 21 April – Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

1. James Slipper (C) – Bond University
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank
3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
4. Izack Rodda – Easts
5. Kane Douglas – Norths
6. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland