• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 13 Lions Vs Waratahs

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
He should be sacked for that.

Only reasons he should ever do that is to prevent serious injury or death.

That is disgraceful.
Hooper is on his feet trying to pilfer. The Lions players’s cleanout is ineffective so he gives him a bit of a helping hand. Check out hoopers reaction

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Does anyone know the game clock time when seconds clears out Hooper?

According to @CiderSuppa:

@humblekiwi @GAGR @rugby_podcast Neddy Hanigan gave him a bit of attention in the 2nd half. It was just before he awarded the match winning penalty. He decided a maul was a tackle and pinged the Tahs for not rolling away.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Tahs were also quite lucky that the TMO didn’t chime in following the kick off after the Tahs last try, when one of the Lions chasers was quite blatantly taken out by Wells NFL style, which helped Hooper make extra
metres up the field...

And there was the Lions “knock on” that went clearly backwards before that try too...

Like I said, there were bad decisions all round.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The Tahs were also quite lucky that the TMO didn’t chime in following the kick off after the Tahs last try, when one of the Lions chasers was quite blatantly taken out by Wells NFL style, which helped Hooper make extra
metres up the field.

And there was the Lions “knock on” that went clearly backwards before that try too.

Like I said, there were bad decisions all round.

The difference was those were just things missed due to referee incompetence. The Waratahs never had the help of the referee to make a clean out. Seconds added new meaning to 'playing against 16.'

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't understand why Clark was taken from the field and not Newsome. I thought Clark was playing well while Newsome wasn't impressive

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The difference was those were just things missed due to referee incompetence. The Waratahs never had the help of the referee to make a clean out. Seconds added new meaning to 'playing against 16.'

Maybe my eyesight is better than most, but the ref only touched him on the shoulder in trying to tell him to release the ball, to which Hooper immediately rolls away...

Unless Seconds has superhuman strength in that hand?

But you see that quite often in matches - refs giving a player a tap to indicate to release or roll away at the tackle.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think those Brumbies' goggles are clouding your vision.

Nah mate, the ref quite obviously doesn’t clean Hooper out......... read tragic’s post above.

If all it takes is a slight touch on the shoulder from one hand to clear Hooper out of a ruck, then there’s a bigger problem.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Maybe my eyesight is better than most, but the ref only touched him on the shoulder in trying to tell him to release the ball, to which Hooper immediately rolls away.

Unless Seconds has superhuman strength in that hand?

But you see that quite often in matches - refs giving a player a tap to indicate to release or roll away at the tackle.

There may not have been much force in it, however it was not a tap but a lifting motion having placed his hand under the shoulder and lifting continuously from there up to the elbow as Hooper rolls. It isn’t hard to see that Hooper was not resisting, but at best the refs actions seem dubious and unpalatable.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
There may not have been much force in it, however it was not a tap but a lifting motion having placed his hand under the shoulder and lifting continuously from there up to the elbow as Hooper rolls. It isn’t hard to see that Hooper was not resisting, but at best the refs actions seem dubious and unpalatable.

He taps him on the shoulder. There is no force or clean out. Watch the replay. The Twitter gif presents an illusion. Hooper rolls away on his own accord with the help of the lions clean out.
If anything it probably saves a penalty as hoper wasn’t moving till the ref gave him the tap.

AD1622D9-4F93-4216-A1AE-AED337252BEC.jpeg

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
He taps him on the shoulder. There is no force or clean out. Watch the replay. The Twitter gif presents an illusion. Hooper rolls away on his own accord with the help of the lions clean out.
If anything it probably saves a penalty as hoper wasn’t moving till the ref gave him the tap.

View attachment 10673
Nice entry there from Lions 22, straight in the side. Hooper has every right to the ball and he only moves when Seconds lays hands on him.