• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 19 - Waratahs v Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ben O'Queefe?

Jokes aside, I would go with those 3 and Marius over Rasivhenge.

I think those three test referees are pretty clear and then it's far less so for the fourth one. Maybe Nic Berry is also in with a shout?

Actually, Rasta will be at the 7s so rule him out.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think those three test referees are pretty clear and then it's far less so for the fourth one. Maybe Nic Berry is also in with a shout?

Actually, Rasta will be at the 7s so rule him out.

Berry has come along way since he completely bottled it during the Rebels and Jags game and didn't award a penalty to the Rebels in the final play. He lets the play flow and has a bit of commonsense when approaching potential foul play incidents-I recall a couple of times in Canberra situations where a referee like O'Keefe would have sent someone to the bin but Berry just issued a penalty or said it was a good contest.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah that was a confusing one. It should have gone the otherway. Once Kepu grabs a hold of him every other forward is illegaly obstructing.

Better have another think about obstruction D. In my book, a player in possession simply can't be obstructed by a team mate behind him. And Gardner ruled (imo correctly) that Arnold retained the ball at the front of the non-contested maul so that anyone coming around the back had to be off side. Only had the ball been passed to the back would a penalty apply for obstruction because then other support players would be bound in front of the ball carrier, or Kepu than would be within his rights to tackle the ball carrier at the back.

Clearly, Gardner has confused some Tahs supporters with this decision, just as he confused me with at least three scrum penalties/free kicks to the Tahs. One short arm when the Tahs front row all went to ground, one penalty when the Brumbies scrum went straight up field and the Tahs swung around so that the No 8 was almost i touch, and another penalty when the Brumbies scrum went through the Tahs front row forcing them to disengage.

I have never thought much of Gardner as a ref. In international matches involving the Wallabies or Super Rugby matches involving one Aus side, he seems to have a habit of heavily penalising the Wallabies or the Aus Super side early in the match. Whether or not he wants to be seen to be unbiassed, I don't know, but it has put many of our teams at a severe disadvantage leading into half time. In last night's game, I think he was more inclined to be lenient on the Tahs than he was on the Brumbies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Better have another think about obstruction D. In my book, a player in possession simply can't be obstructed by a team mate behind him. And Gardner ruled (imo correctly) that Arnold retained the ball at the front of the non-contested maul so that anyone coming around the back had to be off side. Only had the ball been passed to the back would a penalty apply for obstruction because then other support players would be bound in front of the ball carrier, or Kepu than would be within his rights to tackle the ball carrier at the back.
I had not realised this and couldn't tell from the stands. I agree with you. I had assumed Kepu grabbed the man with the ball.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thank you B, and that really surprises me. However, I stand by my comments re Gardner when in charge of Super Rugby games involving one Aus side only.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree though. I would be flummoxed if he wasn't one of the four quarter final referees.

My guess: Gardner, Jackson, Peyper and either Rasivhenge or van der Westhuizen.

The first three were correct and the fourth quarter final referee is Mike Fraser.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
That's not what he got penalised for. He moved into an offside position before the lineout has finished.

If the ball catcher had moved off the line of the lineout then he would have been entitled to come around the other side to engage.
Indeed it wasnt what he got called for but Brumbies played that smart.. it was the right call though.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It's taken me the best part of a week to digest that shit performance from the Tahs. All the deficiencies of the squad were there to see: the lack of weight in the pigs (Hawko signalled this before the season started) and the Beale's woefully poor tackling technique. Kurtley's reverted to grabbing opponents' upper bodies while on his heels these last few weeks resulting in momentum to the ball-carriers and pressure on those outside him to clean up the mess, or concede territory. This is the 15th season I've watched Beale play, why haven't his tackling deficiencies been addressed before now?

My lovely spare-rib commented the Tahs looked buggered just before half time, and I've read elsewhere Gibson flogged them on the training paddock last week. If so, accept a proverbial kick up the khyber, Daryl, and don't do it again this week.

Andrew Hore would be furious about this pissweak performance: the Tahs slipping from second to third has the potential to cost the NSWRU up to half a million dollars. I expect a poor crowd tomorrow after that effort last Saturday. We can only hope and pray every cuzzy bro in Sydney turns out to cheer on the UnZidders, although the Clan are the smallest NZ franchise. I'm not holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.