• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2: Rebels v The Bye, Friday 21st Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Not looking forward to this non-game at all. The Rebels have been building very nicely in the trials and it is such a shame to come up against a full strength Bye for the opening round.

The lads will be tested here, that's for sure. The Bye has a habit of being a form killer so let's hope Tony and the coaching staff manage the Boys in Blue appropriately.

Several changes to this opening non-game. The Bye was originally listed for Saturday but due to the Rebels preference for Friday night action, the IRB was petitioned to move the Bye. The fact that the Bye agreed to be moved to accomodate the Rebels without the need for court injunctions and social media tit-for-tat really does speak well for both parties.

On Friday night, what can we expect to see? Well, the Bye are notoriously hard to identify and team lists are almost never made public, so we can only guess what form they are in.

As for the Rebels, my mail is that Mitch Inman and Jordy Reid will be positioned somewhere inside a Gold-Class cinema. I like the combination being developed here and let's hope they both walk out happy with the ending. The doors to the Crown Cinema are being widened to allow Jordy's shoulder to fit through, so some excellent non-game day player management here.

Some big changes to the tight 5, which has been the talk of the town here in Melbourne. Laurie Weekes has drafted in Lachie Mitchell to add some grunt to the MKR-style dinner party being held at Max Lahiff's house-warming event, and frankly I can't recall the last time a back was swapped to the forwards, even for a one-off. Let's hope Hugh Pyle, Luke Jones and skipper Scott Higginbotham keep the channels closed to allow Luke Burgess to get first use of the dinner rolls and curried blue swimmer crab entree.

All in all, this non-game should pose no problems for a re-invigorated Rebels side, keen to enjoy all Melbourne has to offer this Friday.

daz's tip: Rebels by 0.

Reactions: Tex

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's actually Round 2, and I'm confident the Rebels can go back to back in byes.........

D

daz

Thanks Slim, you are quite right. I have made the thread title corrections.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
The only thing I can take from this bye is some savings to my bank account. My wallet will be safe from the Richmond bars for another weekend. The bottle shop on the other hand...

After the Cheetah's shock loss to the Lions and their match-up with the sharks this weekend, I'm expecting them to be smashed up like a chip at a seagull party. We hopefully will be nice and fresh. Time for some redemption from 2012.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Daz - you forgot to mention the Bye's form. Has been a lean couple of years since the introduction of Rebels, who are the only team to have taken four points off the Bye every time they have matched up. An impressive record for a team finding its way in Super Rugby.

The Bye has cracking early season form not conceding the points in any of 11 round 1 games they participated in, and I can't see them letting up this week.

Reactions: daz

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Bye is over-rated: when is the last time it won a game?

It's fans wank on about how good it is but every year it ends up mid-table.

Bye fans should wake up to themselves: their team should not even be in the comp.

If you ask me it should be: "Bye-bye Bye".

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Lee, You have hit the nail on the head. If The Bye fans do not wake up to themselves and realise that the reason their franchise struggles to perform is due to a lack of revenue, then they will continue to maintain their dismal on field record.

Without fans digging deep to buy The Bye merch, memberships, season tickets, match tickets, food and beverages at game day, then the club will never be able to attract the necessary quality coaching, administrative, or support staff, let along quality players.

Have you been to any of their games? The crowd support is pathetic. You get more supporters to a Fifth Grade Shute Shield game. Opposition supporters outnumber The Bye fans by at least 5 to 1. The BBQ is non-existent and the only liquid refreshment available is from the taps in the dunnies. Most clubs struggle for volunteers on match day, but anyone complaining about their clubs volunteer numbers should take a look at the ghosts who turn up to volunteer for The Bye. A mate of mine reckons that they once had a working bee to clean up their changing rooms and no one turned up, not even the organiser.

I reckon the rot starts with their indifference towards their Juniors and School programmes. There is more snow in Singapore than there are supporters at any of The Bye's games in their juniors programme, and the poor performance of The Bye in their ISA and AAGPS programme is well documented in the Schoolboy threads. As many SS and Premier Rugby clubs are finding out, neglecting the young'uns is a recipe for future disaster.

I reckon that even the great @Lee Grant would not be able to name one member of The Bye that has been selected for representative honours at any level, let alone the Wallabies. No one that I know at any of the clubs ever speaks about trying to poach/entice a player from The Bye to their club. Sad really.

With apathetic and thrifty supporters, a neglected juniors and schools programme, The Bye's opponents will continue to look upon them as a soft and easy victory.

How they stay "in business" is anyones guess. I have yet to see any financial records produced, and apart from the A.N. Other and T.B. Confirmed (both of whom IMHO are getting too long in the tooth to still be effective), no one seems to be able to name any other members of their Board of Directors.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And to top it off, my wife reckons I haven't got the right body shape to wear one of their jerseys, at least without something on under it, so definitely needs to be a lot more thought put into their supporters apparel!!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Look. Everybody supports the bye. They're everybody's 2nd or 3rd team, and they engage with their fans really well.

But does anyone remember the last time they won a game, let alone some silverware. I do infact. That ill fated experiment in 2011, when they joined the AFL...

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.