• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2 - Sunwolves vs Waratahs @ 3.15pm AEDST

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) out

Kepu playing apparently, hopefully less minutes

Beale back, hopefully at 15 would be my preference
9 Gordon
10 Foley
11 Newsome
12 Hunt
13 Rona
14 Folau
15 Beale

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They leave today. I haven't seen the squad they took yet but outside of the expected matchday 23, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) might be the only outside back that is healthy so he's there as an emergency.

The only other backs they have are John Folau and Will Harrison and I think Folau might be injured.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1 Harry Johnson-Holmes
2 Damien Fitzpatrick
3 Sekope Kepu
4 Jed Holloway
5 Rob Simmons
6 Ned Hanigan
7 Michael Hooper
8 Jack Dempsey
9 Jake Gordon
10 Bernard Foley
11 Curtis Rona
12 Kurtley Beale
13 Karmichael Hunt
14 Alex Newsome
15 Israel Folau

16. Tolu Latu
17. Rory O’connor
18. Chris Talakai
19. Lachlan Swinton
20. Will Miller
21. Mitch Short
22. Mack Mason
23. Cam Clark/Adam Ashley-Cooper*

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Would like to see Mason get a fair bit of game time here (I would have started him). This is his third year with the squad, he's either good enough or he should be let go. If Foley were to get injured, we need him to be able to step up.

Agreed. This would have been the perfect game to give him a run

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Thought I’d fix this up for Cron...

9. Jake Gordon
10. Bernard Foley
13. Curtis Rona
15. Kurtley Beale
12. Karmichael Hunt
14. Alex Newsome
11. Israel Falou

Think he got his numbers mixed up... I’m sure he didn’t mean to play 3 of his players not in their best positions!

Agree with the comments above, Mason should have been given ancrack at this game.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Thought I’d fix this up for Cron.

9. Jake Gordon

10. Bernard Foley

13. Curtis Rona

15. Kurtley Beale

12. Karmichael Hunt

14. Alex Newsome

11. Israel Falou

Think he got his numbers mixed up. I’m sure he didn’t mean to play 3 of his players not in their best positions!

Agree with the comments above, Mason should have been given ancrack at this game.

It's not Cron's decision Gibson is head coach

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would have probably shifted Rona to 13 and Beale into 12 and rekindled last year's partnership with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) out.

I like a lot of what Hunt does but I'm in no way convinced he's a much better 12 option than Beale. His defence is better but our attack is noticeably poorer.

Anyway, I think we'll get a better idea in round 4 against the Reds where we hopefully have all hands on deck.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Would like to see Mason get a fair bit of game time here (I would have started him). This is his third year with the squad, he's either good enough or he should be let go. If Foley were to get injured, we need him to be able to step up.

Not only that, but to not play him (as per last week) is only going to stunt his development long-term.

He's better off playing 80 minutes in the Shute Shield than holding tackling bags and getting bum splinters whilst jetlagged in Japan.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not only that, but to not play him (as per last week) is only going to stunt his development long-term.

He's better off playing 80 minutes in the Shute Shield than holding tackling bags and getting bum splinters whilst jetlagged in Japan.

there's no Shute Shield on at the moment.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Haven’t we been talking about developing Mason for three seasons now? It’s far more important that the Waratahs sync their attacking structures which requires Foley at the helm. Mason has started games for the Waratahs before, he’s not a teenage rookie that we’re trying to debut against a weaker side.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hopefully the Tahs play well in the first half and it provides an opportunity to give Mason plenty of minutes in the second half (and Foley a rest).

I think it's really important that the Tahs bed down their best players and get them back into some form early in the season though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would have probably shifted Rona to 13 and Beale into 12 and rekindled last year's partnership with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) out.

I like a lot of what Hunt does but I'm in no way convinced he's a much better 12 option than Beale. His defence is better but our attack is noticeably poorer.

Anyway, I think we'll get a better idea in round 4 against the Reds where we hopefully have all hands on deck.

Gibson suggested combinations was the key

@1.25