• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2 - Sunwolves vs Waratahs @ 3.15pm AEDST

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Holy crap. I'd hoped to see some sort of improvement in the Tahs. Gibson got a pass from me for last year as this is really his first year unencumbered by the remains of Chieka, ie Grey. But we see that significant recruitment issues have not been addressed, and they still rely heavily on big name players like Folau and Beale to "do" something to make the game. Rugby is a team game and the big names have fundamentally flawed skill sets which are not covered adequately by other players in the team. The Sunwolves improved their defence from last week, but truth be told that wouldn't be hard, it was a very low base, but I still expected that the Tahs would do more with the ball than they did, at one point in the 2nd half they had 12+ phases and ended up conceding the scrum 25 metres behind where they started and at no point did they ever look like doing anything with the ball except hit League style hit ups.

Tahs to fight for the Australian wooden spoon with the Brumbies IMO.

Hanigan IMO found his level in this game, against an also run side that has won how many games in Super Rugby, and even then his involvement for me was charecterised by a single ruck in the 2nd half, as tackle assist he falls off the side of the tackle onto the wrong side of the ruck having had little impact, run around behind the ruck in a full 180 degree turn to the same lateral side of the ruck he was the assistant tackler on to take up a pillar (more like one out - to far out for pillar) position, never once looking at the ruck where K Hunt alone was fighting for the turn over and he won it. Hanigan then runs in to pat him on the back and then puts hands on hand to suck in big breaths. The epitome of running around doing lots and achieving nothing.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I get what you’re saying - but the attempt was rushed. Should have gone for another phase or two at least to hold the defence, even if they didn’t push for the try/penalty.

At least that’s what I would have done from my armchair.

I'm a "keep it simple" kinda guy so if we're within 10m either side of the posts from first phase I'm gunna take the shot every time.

Reactions: TSR

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Pretty insipid performance from the Tahs but not unexpected given last week’s showing. Our attacking structures are basically useless without a 120kg battering ram on one wing.

Big T was a big reason Tahs made the finals last year. Without him Gibson has no clue what to do

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Big T was a big reason Tahs made the finals last year. Without him Gibson has no clue what to do
If we had recruited some more abrasive forwards it might be a different story. Right now our modus operandi seems to involve passing to a forward pod outside the 30 channel (who fail to make the gain line) before shovelling it out the back next phase and getting caught way behind the advantage line. Just madness.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
With so many players playing poorly who can the Tahs bring in??

Too many Wallabies level players not playing to a high standard. They seem to know that their job is safe and are playing accordingly.

Hanigan needs to go offers nothing. Maybe give Le Roux a go. Even BJ Edwards.

Hooper needs to stop playing in the centres or on the wing, he is a forward.

The scrum is rubbish and no one to bring in due to poor recruitment. Smaller forwards and light mobile does not work and never will work.

The attack is non existent. The go forward is still non existent.

Gibson should never have been given another year without a ball being kicked. The scary thing is he will go down as one of the longest serving people with the clipboard (I refuse to say coach).

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
If we had recruited some more abrasive forwards it might be a different story. Right now our modus operandi seems to involve passing to a forward pod outside the 30 channel (who fail to make the gain line) before shovelling it out the back next phase and getting caught way behind the advantage line. Just madness.

Yep you are right

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Well done to the sunwolves missing so many players in an international camp.

They played with heart.
They went forward.
They were expected to get flogged and didn't.
They tried their guts out.

Imagine if the Tahs did these things

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Well done to the sunwolves missing so many players in an international camp.

They played with heart.
They went forward.
They were expected to get flogged and didn't.
They tried their guts out.

Imagine if the Tahs did these things

Yet they won.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Phwoar!

I'm pretty sure the last time I saw a sporting performance like that was early 90's with my team Tigers (I was into mungo back then). Ex-rugby coach Alan Jones with no idea on the pressures of pro sport (later said every weekend was like a test) encouraged his boys to "play what is in front of you".

(One) Result: Big prop Steve Roach making a really, really bad chip kick in play.

Oh and in the round ball game, once there was a move toward supposed "total football" where if you were in place you were the striker, if you found yourself in the back you defended. Ofc they don't really have set piece in football.

There is a theme sometimes where "fans just want winning rugby", I object to it. We also want entertainment. But, phwoar! Whooee!

Let's quote the wonderful Babah.

We would have won with Newsome at 12 instead of Hunt? Now that's a scorching hot take and Tatsy, I'm here for it. I think you're mad, but keep it coming.

Props flick passing, 10's hitting up in the ruck traffic, often no obvious differentiation between backs and forwards and A 9 MAN LINE OUT! Now that's a scorching hot take and Daryl, I'm here for it. I think you're mad, but keep it coming.

(Maybe he could coach Fiji after this stint?)

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Watching the Brumbies game it shows what big forwards can do and what backs can do if the forwards do their job

Alas Gibson still believes in small forwards, light and mobile pack and no go forward

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Will Miller at 8. That is the height of ridiculousness.

Or depth of ridiculousness, I should have said.

BTW, when we are evaluating the strength of the Sunnies without their Japanese Test players, I think it would be fair to say that they still have a large number of pretty handy rugby tradesmen in their side. They know the short way to the line, for sure. Straight ahead.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The Waratahs have a long standing trait of often lowering themselves to the level of the opposition. Usually they scrape away with the win, but not always e.g. the Kings a couple of years ago. Yesterday they seemed to be clearly the dominant team but whenever they got on top they’d drop the ball - both literally and metaphorically- and let the Sunwolves back into the game. However, they also have the ability and tendency to rise against the big opposition. Like others I think the biggest challenge this year is going to be to maintain dominance with a light pack.

In fairness to the Sunwolves, they played out of their skin, the home advantage is always quite substantial. I wish that Hayden Parker was an Aussie.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This Sunwolves team might go alright when they drop their international player back in, they all away at camp for Japan!
That was quite an entertaining game .

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Watching the Brumbies game it shows what big forwards can do and what backs can do if the forwards do their job

Alas Gibson still believes in small forwards, light and mobile pack and no go forward

Imagine the Tahs backs behind the Brumbies pack.

Hard to do much when you have no go-forward or set piece to speak of.

I'm not too worried yet, as it's a long season and history tells us the Wallabies blokes don't hit their stride until 4-6 weeks in. But once again what we know to be true has been confirmed - our pack is too light and we will be relying on moments of Izzy/KB (Kurtley Beale) brilliance more often than not.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Imagine the Tahs backs behind the Brumbies pack.

Hard to do much when you have no go-forward or set piece to speak of.

I'm not too worried yet, as it's a long season and history tells us the Wallabies blokes don't hit their stride until 4-6 weeks in. But once again what we know to be true has been confirmed - our pack is too light and we will be relying on moments of Izzy/KB (Kurtley Beale) brilliance more often than not.

I agree Baabaa, Wallaby players won't really start to really go until a month in, if anyone has watched last few years, it same for most Test players in any area, they don't really start training until pretty late so are rightfully a bit of pace early, which is really when you want them to be , and not at the end!