• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 4: Lions v Reds, Sun 19 March @ 1:15am AEST Ellis Park, Johannesberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
This thread is for discussing this match only

The Rules
  1. Do not give scores for any other match from this round until 24 hours after the last game!
  2. Do not discuss other matches in detail.
  3. Good hearted banter is encouraged but trolling is not allowed.
  4. Be respectful to posters, players, coaches and match officials.

Breaches of the rules will be handled by the Mod Team.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The Reds really need to try and manufacture a win on this Sth Africa/Sth American Tour somehow. The Lions seemed the less likely of the two but after the weekends results it might be their best chance sadly.

I've been trying to think of something going our way in this match and the best I can do is that the Reds should be marginally fresher. Both teams will have significant travel this week but the Reds are flying west and the Lions are flying east. The Lions have a slightly shorter flight but everyone knows you get knocked around heaps more by jet lag flying east so it's advantage Reds.

Sorry, that's all I've got.

EDIT: We've all seen glimpses of what the Reds can do. If they put that together for 80 minutes plus injury time, they will seriously trouble or beat most opposition. The obvious problem being that they've been far from achieving that so far.

Reds are similar odds to beat the Lions as they were to beat the Crusaders. ($3.50ish)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Unfortunately for that argument Scoey, the Lions rested a bunch of their starts from their last match.

They should be fresher.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
How long is Sef out for ?

The Viking went very well last week and Thor not so.

May see Sef and Viking , both on the bench.

Thought Moore went OK (for a change) in first half and Ready was a little off his in the second half. Certainly this week I'd start Ready over Moore.

That would be my only change to the starting team

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Have to say the Lions will expect this game at home. They sacrificed the Argentinian leg for this one. If the Jaguares are anything to measure it, the Reds need to score tries. Plenty. AND they need to be disciplined and kick points.

Hunt and Paia'aua need to quickly recalibrate their kicking for altitude. Frisby is on the improve I think with the box. At least when and why to box. Keep improving bloke.

Playing the full 80 is going to be much tougher on the hiveldt than at Lang Park. Moore coming on the second half, good. I'd be tempted to do the same with Smith.

Leave McIntyre out and run a 6/2 bench I think.

Looking forward to it, but head says Lions.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd be going with:

15 Hunt
14 Perese
13 Kerevi
12 Paia'aua
11 Nabuli
10 Cooper
9 Tuttle
8 Higgers
7 Korczyk
6 Tui
5 Rodda
4 Simmons
3 Talakai
2 Ready
1 Slipper

16 Moore
17 Tupou
18 Vanzati
19 Douglas
20 Smith
21 Houston
22 Frisby
23 McIntyre

Of course it would go to shit if DP got injured in the first few minutes but that's touring (actually I'd move Frisby to 15 where he's had decent experience, and put Hunt at 12)

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Will be interesting to see who the ref is. Some of them in the Republic are worth a good handful of points to the home side. Hoping for Rasta, he seems to be generally possessed of two functioning eyes. Or the Japanese bloke, though he mostly seems to hang around the Sunwolves conference.

Odds might be the same as vs the Crusaders but I think this one will be a lot tougher.

6/2 sounds good. I'd start Smith though, don't see much benefit in bringing him off the bench. His job should be spoiling quick ball and pilfers and generally running himself into the ground by half time so that Korczyk can come on with fresh young legs and take over.

I was impressed with Vanzati last week. He made some good metres in contact. The Reds are turning up some good talent this year in Rodda, Tuttle, Perese and Vanzati.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Reds will have to keep the forwards honest or else the Lions will keep on coming at all sorts of angles. They just keep the ball alive until something opens up. That's their "game plan". For that to work they need quick ball and gainline dominance.

If the Reds can really beat them up front physically at the breakdowns they can spoil their game. The Lions' defense is still a little iffy so they leak a lot of tries.

The Reds should expect anything to happen at any moment from anywhere. This is what will be important for them come the 60 min mark when concentration levels may wane and the Lions generally up the ante.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Lions loss against the Pumas will make them even more desperate. The Sharks is on a roll and a further loss now ill be a disaster for the Lions.

Lions by 60

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Frisby's box kicks will need to be protected better than what they were against the crusaders.

It would be an astonishing achievement for the Reds to get a win in this match.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think if we can come back from tour with a win and a bonus point loss it would be a great tour. Would prefer two BP wins but little steps first.

That'd be an awesome outcome. This is the hardest African conference and both of these teams have been playing well.

It would be season defining if we achieved that outcome I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Just to add to the air of pessimism, I have an awful feeling that the team will expect the lions to try and blow us off the park in the first 20'. So we'll come out all fire and brimstone, play some brutal rugby, and at least keep in touch for 60'.

It's the last 20' that worries me. With our current form. At 1700m above sea level. 11,000 km from home. I hope we don't get Laxmaned.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
That'd be an awesome outcome. This is the hardest African conference and both of these teams have been playing well.

It would be season defining if we achieved that outcome I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The contrast of that is almost season ending. With the 'Canes up first game back a win on tour is a must. The draw does get easier but its tough to come back from a 1 and 5 record.

Not sure which game to target but I think the side can get up on one. Jaguares have started well but may still not have the consitent performances needed in a long tournament. Lions is probably tougher of the two. Maybe the refs can get on side this time and make up for some of the howlers we have had against them in the past.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well, it appears that Ready will deservedly start over Moore this weekend.

Two weeks too late but at least happening. Moore would not be happy and IF Ready play well Moore may find himself coming off the bench on a regular basis. That will not do his Wallaby selection and captaincy any favours. Having said that it is purely up to Stephen to warrant continued selection, based on performance. Latu from the Tahs is making a concerted effort to become the Wallaby staring 2 position.

No other changes seem warranted from the starters from last week. Maybe a tweak or 2 on the bench

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Stuart Berry eh? Not a good start. Glad he doesn't have the whistle but that is but a small victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.