• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5: Rebels v Waratahs, Friday the 24th of March AAMI Park @7:40

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Two bottom teams of the Australian conference, both desperate for the win. Both with their fair share of injuries, this should be interesting.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Rebels looked a helluva lot better than the Tahs last weekend.

They really should be able to win, the Tahs are in disarray. Some of them look either disinterested or totally out of form, or carrying injuries. Skelton, for example. He was virtually AWOL last weekend.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
We really do need a win, next week off to NZ followed by another bye. God our draw is rubbish of a start for us. At least the Highlanders have been struggling as well.

A mutterer

Desmond Connor (43)
i think we need to get izzy back at 15, phipps needs to be dropped from game day side.

up front, red meat for all the forwards with no lovin until they turn up and front up.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
If the Rebels can be an absolute menace at the breakdown then i fancy our chances. Any of our cattle coming back this week?

Agreed on the draw and the rubbish nature of it and the injuries have been shocking. Some, actually near all commentators have failed to mention both points in recent discussions. Game one this year we had McMahon, Smith, Naivalu, Korribete, Hanson out, 4 of our 5 first choice locks and with Stirzacker knocked out after 10mins. That'd be like the Waratahs missing Hooper, Folau, Kepu, Kellaway, Latu and having Phipps knocked out 10mins in (that might be a benefit). Maybe im just looking for excuses to delude myself about the shitness of the team. haha

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
i think we need to get izzy back at 15, phipps needs to be dropped from game day side.

up front, red meat for all the forwards with no lovin until they turn up and front up.

The Tahs will be more coherent with Foley at 10, but without the pigs being more accurate and aggressive whoever is at 9 is going to have a torrid time. The forwards aren't showing any balance a the moment.

Do we know if Kepu is OK? That really could change this match

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do we know if Kepu is OK? That really could change this match

I believe they are preparing with the expectation that he won't play given it is a 6 day turnaround.

Whilst it was accidental, it's another black mark against Hegarty for kicking Kepu in the head!

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Don't worry 'Tahs fans. We have a long history of playing teams back into form. We're pretty likely to pick up a key injury or two at training this week as well so -

'Tahs by 30 odd.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Rebels were very competitive last week until the last 10 minutes or so.

Tahs are in disarray. Folau will play but in all honestly, based on performance recently he should have some splinters on his bum.

Tahs need to man up upfront- Latu seems to be the only bloke who should be getting paid.

I think the Rebels will come to play and I expect them to out-muscle the Tahs forwards setting up an upset. They need to hit 100% from the get-go and don't let the Tahs find any rhythm at all

Rebels by 8

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Against the Chiefs, the Rebels showed more creativity with ball in hand than either side has otherwise this year. But their intensity drops a few notches when the bench players come on.

Gibson will need to make few player changes if he wants to get the Tahs back on the front foot. Foley is sorely missed, but there must be better than Hegarty available somewhere? And their second row needs a big injection of heart with a touch of aggression.

Improvement from both sides is urgently needed.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Timani expected back as well, will be interesting to see where he plays
Surely he will play 6.

"The Lesser Known" Retallick and Cummins did a pretty good job against Retallick and Bird and should both get another crack. Day could be available for the bench but again, Douglas didn't cause any harm in his few minutes.

Mafi also plays 6 but he's doing well at the back of the scrum so keep him there for the short term at least.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Gordon and Hanigan both need to start, and either Horwitz or Deegan at 10 if Foley is still not fit. Simone needs to go to the bench, Horne to 12, someone like Clarke or Jones to the wing. If Kepu isn't fit, Robertson to THP, Ryan to LHP. How far off is Ta'avao?

Yes it's a lot of change, but we have to stop doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

The Tahs have the ability to win this, but if they play like the lasy couple of weeks they're not a chance.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
If Foley plays I hope he passes the pill quickly, stays out of serious contact and comes through the game unscathed.

That being said I would expect the Rebels to attack the 10 channel and that a Tahs player will defend at 10 or at least be there to assist Foley. That will leave a gap somewhere else and if smart the Rebels will identify and mount the real attack there.

Should be interesting

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
If Foley plays I hope he passes the pill quickly, stays out of serious contact and comes through the game unscathed.

That being said I would expect the Rebels to attack the 10 channel and that a Tahs player will defend at 10 or at least be there to assist Foley. That will leave a gap somewhere else and if smart the Rebels will identify and mount the real attack there.

Should be interesting

it's normally the blind side wing.

I hope foley doesn't play - surely missing having concussion symptoms 5 (or 6?) weeks later is indicative of something seriously wrong.

Either way I think it's time for horne at 12. We know Folau will be at 13 because they've released that he'll play there until the bye. That locks in Kelleway for 15, and Reece will be one wing because he kicks. Who's our next winger in line? Taquele? I'd like to see us have someone quick on the wing; who's the quickest in the side - Harry Jones?

Status
Not open for further replies.