• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5, Sunwolves v Reds, 16/3 @ Tokyo

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
interesting isn't it? I have no idea but wouldn't mind seeing.

15 Lucas
14 Daugunu
13 CFS
12 Kerevi
11 Naiavalu
10 Stewart
9 Sorovi
8 Timu
7 Wright
6 ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
5 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
4 Rodda
3 Tupou
2 BPA
1 JPS

16 Mafi
17 Hoopert
18 R Smith
19 Hockings
20 Higgers
21 McDermott
22 Hegarty
23 Hardy

Our biggest problem was the breakdown though. Perhaps we give Fraser McReight a run at 7 and move Wright to 6?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I knew we had a tough start to the season but I didn't contemplate that we would be staring down a 0-4 coming into the Sunwolves clash. Pretty sobering/depressing.

I like that team Reg - I think it's the best we can do to be honest. I haven't seen any of McReight to know what impact he could have at the breakdown so I'd be tempted to stick with Wright and ASY (Angus Scott-Young).

Kerevi has to go back to 12 so really shifting CFS in to 13 is the most obvious choice. I haven't been impressed with him (for years) and I read somewhere on here that Hardy is a 13 first and foremost. If there's any way he would be up to starting there then that would be worth considering but I understand that's not ideal for anyone.

Stewart has to go back to 10 with the 15 helping out with playmaking duties, just not to the extent of the first two matches.

We need to use Tupou more/better.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This would appear to be the first time ever the Sunwolves are starting as favourites with the bookies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
So they should. They have been good to watch in the last couple of rounds, unlike the Reds.

B

Bobby Sands

Our biggest problem was the breakdown though. Perhaps we give Fraser McReight a run at 7 and move Wright to 6?

Think this needs to happen, and it might as well be this week.

In all games this year we have been let down by not having an over the ball presence. Not only do we have one, but he's an absolute beauty.

I'd advocate we see what he offers at this level as turnovers win matches.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
interesting isn't it? I have no idea but wouldn't mind seeing.

I like it Reg. Only changes I would make is Higgers to start at either 8 or 6 probably for ASY (Angus Scott-Young). I too would like to see McReight start, I haven't been overly impressed with Wright so far... can't hurt to give another guy a go. Also would like to see McDermott given a start.

Stewart to be allowed to actually play 10 with Lucas supporting. 12/13 looks good... probably our best 2 attacking players this year. Pace on the wings, quite a bit to like about that backline if the centers can draw plenty of attention from the defense and if our players can make simple, smart decisions in attack.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I like it Reg. Only changes I would make is Higgers to start at either 8 or 6 probably for ASY (Angus Scott-Young). I too would like to see McReight start, I haven't been overly impressed with Wright so far. can't hurt to give another guy a go. Also would like to see McDermott given a start.

Stewart to be allowed to actually play 10 with Lucas supporting. 12/13 looks good. probably our best 2 attacking players this year. Pace on the wings, quite a bit to like about that backline if the centers can draw plenty of attention from the defense and if our players can make simple, smart decisions in attack.

Like support players counting 1 mississippi 2 mississippi before they take off for a crash ball.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Like support players counting 1 mississippi 2 mississippi before they take off for a crash ball.

Hahaha yup or timing their run off the proper ball player or accelerating onto the ball rather than already being at full pace to give themselves some wriggle room. Any of those would be a fair improvement on last weekend.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
<snip> I too would like to see McReight start, I haven't been overly impressed with Wright so far. <snip>

I've been really impressed with the young forwards. Wright and Hockings in particular. They've been copping a little bit of flack but I think most of it has been undeserved. Wright has been playing on the ball more than many are giving him credit for. Sure, he's not been as effective as George Smith was last year and isn't' up there with Poey and Hooper etc, but he's getting through a ton of work and getting stuck right in.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I've been really impressed with the young forwards. Wright and Hockings in particular. They've been copping a little bit of flack but I think most of it has been undeserved. Wright has been playing on the ball more than many are giving him credit for. Sure, he's not been as effective as George Smith was last year and isn't' up there with Poey and Hooper etc, but he's getting through a ton of work and getting stuck right in.

Also isn't giving away 3 penalties per game like George was either

B

Bobby Sands

McReight will definitely be better over the ball than Wright, it's just a matter of how the other parts of his game stack up at this point.

My feeling is that they will stack up pretty well.

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
McReight will definitely be better over the ball than Wright, it's just a matter of how the other parts of his game stack up at this point.

My feeling is that they will stack up pretty well.

Wright is doing just fine. Let McReight develop, his time will come

Purce

Jim Clark (26)

I think Wright has been ok. I really don't think he has been having much of an impact on the game. I am not going to bag the kid, all I am saying is that based on his performances it will do no harm to give McReight a go. Personally I think they're both still developing and McReight appears to be the most physically developed of the pair. I wouldn't be upset to see Wilson given a game or two this year as I don't think we will be pushing for the GF unfortunately. Blood them and rotate them to keep all their bodies fresh unless one is heads and shoulders better than the other two(probably more of a discussion for the Reds 2019 thread).

Agree regarding Hockings, whilst not the most damaging ball runner he offers a lot pretty much everywhere else. He would come close to having the best hands in the squad. I hope he can throw on another 5-10kgs over the next couple of years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hard to have much of a crack at your 7 for not doing enough at the breakdown when your team had the bulk of possession last game.

Wright forced one penalty didn't he? I'm pretty sure the Tahs only had 40 something rucks total in the match.

In a game like that you should probably be more critical of him not having more impact on attack.