• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Translation from French source

€28m (A$41m) over 7 years to enact the strategic plan which would include
  • a sevens team for each Top 14 side,
  • a woman's team for each of the Top 14 sides.
  • Thirdly,help for sides in the non-rugby areas to produce a pro-D12 side
  • fourth, development of a third level, below D12.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
You mean they don't want a strong national team?
3+ divisions of fully professional rugby, most money of any domestic comp in their top division, fans who're really club first and national team 2nd, and a team with a habit of choking in big tournaments.

Sounds like English football to me.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Translation from French source

€28m (A$41m) over 7 years to enact the strategic plan which would include
  • a sevens team for each Top 14 side,
  • a woman's team for each of the Top 14 sides.
  • Thirdly,help for sides in the non-rugby areas to produce a pro-D12 side
  • fourth, development of a third level, below D12.

When you break it down it really isn't a great deal of money for the women's or 7s side of it. Not unless the T14 clubs provide a fair share of their own funding. From what I've read most of it will be directed toward the 3rd professional tier as a means of providing the T14's youth teams with competition as well as establish new clubs in non-traditional regions.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
When you break it down it really isn't a great deal of money for the women's or 7s side of it. Not unless the T14 clubs provide a fair share of their own funding. From what I've read most of it will be directed toward the 3rd professional tier as a means of providing the T14's youth teams with competition as well as establish new clubs in non-traditional regions.
Yeah, that wouldn't cover salaries of 250+ 7s players and 500 women you'd imagine.

Maybe it pays for the comp and expenses and the clubs cover the rest as a price of being part of the Top 14 comp

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
^^^

.....and Ticketek are selling Sydney 7s February 2017 tickets from today (need password........should I list it here?........or PM me) that includes Women's 7s Finals on the Saturday and/or Women's First Round on the Friday as they are combined events.....tickets are going quite fast, could tell from traffic on Ticketek site.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
They better put Holland in a red vest.
If he gets hurt in training they are fucked

......and more so ILTW, Friend as HC will get them nowhere in terms of the big time.

The men's 7s team under Friend will be like our national U20s team under Thompson: irregularity, inconsistency, ordinary skills, few improving players, no obvious game plans or wise tactics, very occasional highs (that will be over-praised) followed by strings of debacles, and then as night follows day a raft of excuses and regrets.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm a long-standing admirer of the NZRU, it will now totally redesign and rebuild the NZ 7s program. Additionally it will not be too proud to look at the genesis of and reasons for the success of the Aussie women's 7s and learn from that too.

Unlike our ARU, a long-term characteristic of the NZRU is that it has a ruthless capacity for self-honesty and objectivity, it typically learns from disappointing and sub-optimal outcomes and makes the right changes for the better good.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Meanwhile,
The ARU tells us that the whole season was focused on the Olypics, and tied itself to the coach for an additional 2 years, before he proved himself to be an abject failure.
Who is accountable?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Unfortunately the NZRU's objectivity isn't always consistent across the board. This is, after all, the same organisation that kept Ian Foster as a franchise head coach for eight years.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Meanwhile,
The ARU tells us that the whole season was focused on the Olypics, and tied itself to the coach for an additional 2 years, before he proved himself to be an abject failure.
Who is accountable?

No one at the ARU has ever been or appears now accountable for anything that happens to or from Australian rugby.

When in the annals of the ARU has a single 'we accept responsibility' type statement been made or apology or equivalent offered that directly relates to the conduct of the ARU or its officers? There's a prize for anyone who can name just one.

Australian rugby is the only sports code here (or anywhere for that matter) that 'experiences problems, declines, bankruptcies and set backs' that are wholly and always inflicted by outside events that cannot be controlled in any way by that code's governing body.