• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unfortunately the NZRU's objectivity isn't always consistent across the board. This is, after all, the same organisation that kept Ian Foster as a franchise head coach for eight years.

He wouldn't have lasted that long if the Chiefs didn't want him, just as he wouldn't have been in the AB setup for as long as he has unless at least Shag wanted him there........

Ben Ryan has stepped down as Fiji 7's coach, NZRU really should go after him.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
He wouldn't have lasted that long if the Chiefs didn't want him, just as he wouldn't have been in the AB setup for as long as he has unless at least Shag wanted him there....

Ben Ryan has stepped down as Fiji 7's coach, NZRU really should go after him.

Exactly. Which means he clearly wasn't retained due to his results, but for some other attribute(s). I fear that those attributes are related to corporate wankery and not head coaching capabilities. I don't care if he's retained as an assistant, but I don't want him as head coach with such a poor first class record to his name.

On the Sevens, I'm pretty sure Ryan has said that he wants to get back into XV's coaching. Though, if he fails there, then he's certainly an option, as Rush is still running supermarkets somewhere up north.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Exactly. Which means he clearly wasn't retained due to his results, but for some other attribute(s). I fear that those attributes are related to corporate wankery and not head coaching capabilities. I don't care if he's retained as an assistant, but I don't want him as head coach with such a poor first class record to his name.

On the Sevens, I'm pretty sure Ryan has said that he wants to get back into XV's coaching. Though, if he fails there, then he's certainly an option, as Rush is still running supermarkets somewhere up north.

Stuff NZ, the ARU should be courting him hard.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Rush has pretty much ruled himself out, Tomasi Cama definitely has:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...englishman-ben-ryan-replacing-gordon-tietjens

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...wont-contest-new-zealand-sevens-coaching-role

Of the other name being bandied about I'd like to see Sean Horan left with the women. Too soon for DJForbes. Scott Waldrom would be an interesting choice, he'd certainly bring a fresh perspective.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...r-gordon-tietjens-as-new-zealand-sevens-coach

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Charlotte Casslick on front cover of the qweekend liftout and a good article about her and 7s with women/girls. Gosh its gonna suck if 16 becomes the new '03 in terms of squandered opportunity.
Straight after the olympics the aru should have sent those girls in pairs on tours around ervery high school on the eastern seaboard at least... maybe the did to some degree - but in a years time everyone will hve forgotten they need the girls signed up now.

T

TOCC

Well, the Women's Sevens leg has been added to the Sydney Sevens comp and the new Women's University Sevens Comp is launching in 2017.

Alicia Quirk was doing the rounds to all the talk shows immediately after the Olympics, one of the girls featured as herself on Neighbors, and Caslick has also been doing the rounds to different schools in Brisbane.

I don't think they're necessarily sitting on their hands, there seems to be a reasonable framework in place to capitalise on the Olympic Gold success, but there's always room for improvement.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Also could have slotted in a 5 minute cameo by one of the girls or just a recap during the 30minute pregame waffle.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's tough, because the girls have been in camp for the last 3-4 months and haven't been able to see their families in that time.

So as much as you want all of them getting out and about, doing schools and media and club visits etc., all they want to do is have a (well earned) holiday.

I think they've done OK to find a middle ground these last few weeks. Charlotte Caslick has done a bunch of school visits, seems to be out there every day.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
2016-17 referee panels have been named:

Men's Panel:

Chris Assmus (Rugby Canada)
Pierre Brousset (FFR)
Ben Crouse (SARU)
Pablo De Luca (UAR)
James Doleman (NZRU)
Paulo Duarte (FPR)
Craig Evans (WRU)
Sam Grove White (SRU)
Richard Haughton (RFU)
Nori Hashimoto (JRFU)
Adam Jones (WRU)
Richard Kelly (NZRU)
Jaco Kotze (SARU)
Damon Murphy (ARU)
Mike O'Brien (USA)
Rasta Rasivhenge (SARU)
Matt Rodden (HKRFU)
Tevita Rokovereni (FRU)
Damian Schneider (UAR)
Kaveni Talemaivavalagi (FRU)
Jordan Way (ARU)

Women's Panel:

Aimee Barrett (SARU)
Beatrice Benvenuti (FIR)
Sara Cox (RFU)
Ben Crouse (SARU)
Hollie Davidson (SRU)
Adam Jones (WRU)
Sakurako Kawasaki (JRFU)
Rose La Breche (Rugby Canada)
Rebecca Mahoney (NZRU)
Joy Neville (IRFU)
Alhambra Nievas (FER)
Amy Perrett (ARU)

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/referees-named-for-world-rugby-sevens-series/

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting that only three remain from the 12 that did the men's Olympics, even allowing for the likes of Joubert going back to XV's that's a huge turnover. Hope it doesn't lead to a drop in standard as the newbies get up to speed (in all senses of the word).