• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
We need a FB emoticon that does more then like. Its hilarious and really? Good sparring by these 2 'heavyweights' (ILTW&WCR), though I think one was def taking the mickey of the other. . .all in good banter though:eek:

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Just had a look at the Youth sides , boys and girls.

There SEEMS to be no representation of PI heritage boys or girls in the team - well I cannot obviously tell from the surnames.

Seems odd to me as those PI heritage players have a huge impact on our super sides.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The deft lack of response speaks volumes:)

Think I'll just let it go through to the keeper.

Huh? Maybe it's a lack of knowledge of both the players selected and those that missed out.

From the photos of the winning teams at the National titles, there was reasonable diversity in the teams.

Queensland-Girls-Sevens2-620x413.jpg

NSW-Boys-winners-620x413.jpg

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I dunno Scrubber.

We've only had two boys of PI heritage play for our Sevens Side in Jnr Bulumakau and Josea Nayacavou.

Jnr isn't anywhere near the side anymore, and Nayacavou wasn't even playing when we won the London Sevens.

Admittedly the overall demographics here are very different, but maybe the fact that the PI boys generally "mature" physically faster means that the leaner white boys will be stronger Sevens players, at least at the very top of age grade level? Or maybe I'm just being racist.

T

TOCC

The deft lack of response speaks volumes:)

Think I'll just let it go through to the keeper.

I suspect it's more a case of some comments not warranting a response..

I watched some games of the comp and lack of diversity wasn't a thought which sprung to mind.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
what's the solution?

In my eyes we are lacking speed and a play maker.

Friend seems to be making our one player who is the former (HH) into the latter.

Not sure what the solution is though.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If he can't secure the "required" players, he just needs to pick a style, and pick players who will perform that style.

You'll see me criticize Callum MacRae, Scott Wight and others in the "match threads", and it's valid, Wight for mine is more of a liability than a benefit due his treacle pace, and MacRae starts too many of his game breakers on the bench in the clutch games.

But, he's got a plan. Possession, possession, possession. If you've got the ball, the opposition can't score. Defence is more tiring than offence. Without the big men, or skillful men, or lightning paced men of the best side, the best way to do that is to pass the ball a lot, and unless you've got excellent support or are 80% sure you'll score, pass back to the boys in the middle rather than go to ground out wide. With his two sided passing range and excellent kicking, both in field and for goal, Wight is a strong executor of that game plan, without being able to overpower or outpace nearly everyone else on the series.

I don't "enjoy" it, but it won us the London Sevens, and we're equal 4th in the series after 2 tournaments. Get buy in, and it works, even with a squad that's far from ideal.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Get a coach with just 1/2 a clue.

He has tried to recruit a squad of medium paced/ strong in contact players.
Look at the players in the back up squad, that's all there is.

That will beat Uganda most weeks, but is not competitive against the stronger nations.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
what's the solution?

Friend seems to be making our one player who is the former (HH) into the latter.

HH is a try scorer not a playmaker, keep him out wide to do what he does best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
what's the solution?

Yes and just surprised we can't find some better speed and playmaker options...talent identification and development process for 7's needs improving if this is best we can do

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Do we really think it's just a talent identification issue though?

7's is the poor cousin of Super Rugby, the contracts on offer are better in XV's and if you cast the net wider, the contracts on offer in the AFL and NRL are both superior as well.

I see the Aussies schoolboys just won the schoolboys 7's comp, but realistically none of those players will ever filter through to the Aussie 7's, some will get plucked off by NRL, and others will persue the XV's because the pathway is clearer.