• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The return of Tom Lucas as a playmaker and Ed Jenkins certainly helped substantially.

When we are closer to our best side and not forced to pick players out of position (e.g. Hutchy as a playmaker), we're a much better side.

TKO

Frank Nicholson (4)
The return of Tom Lucas as a playmaker and Ed Jenkins certainly helped substantially.

When we are closer to our best side and not forced to pick players out of position (e.g. Hutchy as a playmaker), we're a much better side.

The team did better 4th at Sydney without some of the other players

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You may like to watch ILTW, but do you watch hard enough? the mens last four games were against Argies and the top three ranked teams. They beat the Argies and came with-in a whisker of the other three. I'd call that genuine improvement
Undoubtedly theit results have improved from a very low base.
That in no way is confirmation that the coach has assembled the best squad available for the $$,nor does it confirm the coach is getting the best out of the players he has selected.

As an example, I note that in one of the games this weekend Quinn came on and played 1st receiver.

Not even his mum would have picked him there.

We have some world class players in the squad, who perform strongly,despite him,not because of him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
SA have lost their best Seabelo and rumors of more leaving. That has been a help for the Aussies

Losing Senatla and Smith for South Africa are massive losses, particularly Senatla who can't really be replaced.

Do you think we haven't improved though? Do you think we played worse in Vegas than we did in Sydney?

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)

Interestingly, Lucas also topped the tackle count for the whole tournament, a fair effort

TKO

Frank Nicholson (4)
Losing Senatla and Smith for South Africa are massive losses, particularly Senatla who can't really be replaced.

Do you think we haven't improved though? Do you think we played worse in Vegas than we did in Sydney?

We came 4th in Sydney in a harder draw with the two SA stars playing and 6th in Vegas. Agree with the other comment our weakness... not having a skillful ball player

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In case anyone was wondering how big of a deal winning the Gold medal at Rio was/ is for Fiji:

IMG_0724.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

Surely the only $7 note on the planet, ever.

IMG_0727.JPG

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...evens-side-and-coach-with-new-7-note-50c-coin

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
That's why I was so happy for Fiji to win.

It certainly meant a hellavalot more to Fijians than it would of to Australians or Kiwis. Most of our mob *Australian) couldn't give a crap about Rugby Sevens, it would just have been another medal the tally, bit like synchronised swimming (I don't think we win that one either)

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Dubai, Hong Kong, Sydney, London, Hamilton, Paris, Singapore, Vancouver, Las Vegas.

One of these is not like the others.

Re London: Would prefer a change of venue from Twickenham to some place like Sandy Park, Exeter as I went last year and the lack of atmosphere with empty seating in top tiers glaringly evident.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Re London: Would prefer a change of venue from Twickenham to some place like Sandy Park, Exeter as I went last year and the lack of atmosphere with empty seating in top tiers glaringly evident.

For 2 or 3 years the London event was sold out on the Saturday but then I think the local community made complaints and they decided to reduce the capacity for the event and promote it as more family friendly.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's a real shame, agree it looks silly. I think it's ridiculous that they limit numbers at London, it's embarrassing.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
One of the "problems" (comparing the Sevens to 5 or 6 years ago) with the current Sevens is that in most of the established Rugby Nations, it's not adequately bringing in either the day out on the piss crowd (staple of many many tournaments, and the primary source of the great atmosphere) or the family friendly crowds (in trying to create lifelong fans).

I reckon the shift in targeting from the former to the latter is a massive mistake. The Sevens is a long long day. 18-29 year olds and 45-70 year olds starting with the morning beers and getting fully into the dress up/party atmosphere creates a significantly better atmosphere at the ground, and spectacle on television, than families, who're both likely to turn up "late" and leave early, with energy being drained throughout the day/weekend.

Just my 2 cents.