• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
It'll weaken the series a little in the short term as the two new teams that come in won't be as strong as any 2 of Scotland, England and Wales. But it'll benefit rugby globally to have 2 new spots available for non-traditional rugby countries. If this happens in time for next season I assume Japan will stay in the world series and Germany, who were runners up to Spain in the qualifying event, will also be added.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's a real shame, agree it looks silly. I think it's ridiculous that they limit numbers at London, it's embarrassing.

Shows how financially strong the RFU is when they can afford to sabotage their own event just to keep the local community around Twickenham happy with them.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think it wouldn't happen for Season 2017/18, as everyone would want to be best prepared for the Comm Games and World Cup Sevens.

If it were to happen (which it definitely shouldn't) it would be for the 2018/19 season to align with Olympic qualification.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It'll weaken the series a little in the short term as the two new teams that come in won't be as strong as any 2 of Scotland, England and Wales. But it'll benefit rugby globally to have 2 new spots available for non-traditional rugby countries. If this happens in time for next season I assume Japan will stay in the world series and Germany, who were runners up to Spain in the qualifying event, will also be added.
Not a little but, a lot.
Both these teams can, and do beat the top 4 teams.
Their replacements will be a human bye for the top teams for the foreseeable future.
Damn!

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not a little but, a lot.
Both these teams can, and do beat the top 4 teams.
Their replacements will be a human bye for the top teams for the foreseeable future. Damn!

Well we've seen with the likes of the USA, Canada and Kenya at times that nations that you don't normally associate with rugby can become competitive relatively quickly.

Germany and Japan becoming competitive will do more for rugby globally than Scotland and Wales being competitive. Keep in mind that Wales finished 10th this season and that's their best result in the last 4 series.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's pathetic, and I hope the players and the fans stand up to the SRU like they did when they wanted to cut the team altogether literally two years ago, in the that time we've achieved our two best series rankings ever, and our 4 Best Tournament placings ever.

As long as a handful of Scottish XVs rejects, 4th stringers and development players can regularly take it to the top 8 teams in the World, there is no excuse for the SRU to agree to this without a significant change in financial priorities (see, re-establishment of the Caledonia Reds/Border Reivers, and that's about it).

Edit: I'd rather team GB withdraw from the Olympic Sevens altogether, or Scotland opting out of representation. Seeing Scotland play in 10 tournaments a year plus the Comm Games and the World Cup is much much much more important to me than seeing team GB do a little better at the Olympics.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Same thing happened at Wellington didn't it?
It's obviously a serious concern.

No. Wellington never put a cap on numbers: I went to the first three & it was jam-packed each time, possibly too full. Luckily back then you could go for a wander to the pub over the road, or the bars & cafes on the wharf over the other road (or if you were really adventurous the bars on Courtney Place) & get back in without being breathalised or otherwise treated like a crim by security and/ or the Plods. That's what killed the Wellington 7's. The tournament director has recounted being told at a 2013 meeting with the Senior Sergeant in charge of policing the Sale of Liquor Act that he wanted the tournament gone. Now that it has gone, he's been quoted as saying "it's up to the organisers to decide where to hold the event" or words to that effect. God I hope he never gets a transfer to Hamilton or wherever it goes next.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NRL have canned the Auckland 9's, allegedly to give their players a 12 week break after their "World Cup". I know Hamilton 7's organisers were worried about it being on the same weekend so that's one less thing for them to worry about.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good regional engagement by the Aussie 7s team.

That Mackay Stadium really is a corker.

The Qantas Australian Men’s Sevens team will play an International Series against Japan in Mackay, Queensland this August, as part of the build up to the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

Kicking off on Thursday August 17, Andy Friend’s side will play multiple games in two days of Rugby Sevens action at BB Print Stadium in Mackay, as well as getting actively involved in the local community.

The International Series will form part of the preparation for the upcoming 2017/18 HSBC Sevens World Series, with the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast also looming large.

Minister for Tourism and the Commonwealth Games, Kate Jones said: “The benefits of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games are being felt throughout Queensland.”

“Mackay securing the International Series between Australia and Japan is a direct result of Queensland hosting the Games.

“The matches will form part of Australia’s preparation for GC2018, the 2017/18 HSBC Sevens World Series and the Sevens World Cup in San Francisco.

“This visit will provide a boost to the local economy and tourism industry, along with the benefits to the local community with school visits and open training sessions planned during their time in Mackay.

“The Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games provide a unique opportunity for us to create a lasting legacy for business, industry, sporting and community groups, right across the state,” Ms Jones said.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The Qantas Australian Men’s Sevens team will play an International Series against Japan in Mackay, Queensland this August
Good stuff. And presumably these matches will be for sevens "caps" (info on those sort of records tends not to be easy to find).

This is interesting:
China to host richest ever rugby sevens tournament as US$100 million injection bears first fruit
Monday, 17 July, 2017​
China is to host the richest ever rugby sevens tournament, with the top eight finishers from the 2016-17 World Rugby Sevens Series to fight it out in the “Champion of Champions” in Shanghai in October.​
The tournament, which is a similar concept to the eight-player ATP Finals in tennis, is part of a push to grow rugby in the country and it is hoped having the likes of Fiji, South Africa and New Zealand strut their stuff will help put the relatively unknown sport on the map.​
On October 20 or late October, we will invite eight teams with the best records to Shanghai,” said Alisports vice president Wei Quanming. “[The venue] will be in Yangpu district.”​
Earlier in the year, when discussing the possibility of the tournament, World Rugby chief Brett Gosper said it would feature the “highest ever prize money we have seen in sevens”.​
Alisports – the sports division of e-commerce giant Alibaba, owner of the South China Morning Post – will host the tournament and is leading the charge as far as popularising rugby in China.​
Last October, the company invested US$100 million over 10 years with the aim of attracting a million new players within five years.​
The company is planning the Champion of Champions tournament along with World Rugby and the Chinese Rugby Football Association (CRFA) and Wei said China’s national team will also be invited.​
China’s men’s team is very much a work in progress but a chance to lock horns with the best eight teams in the world is an opportunity fellow developing sides, such as Hong Kong, would kill for.​
According to Wei, Alisports, which is engaged in a long-term partnership with the CRFA, will remain focused on growing the sport from the ground up despite leading off with a world-class tournament:​
“Our main focus is still to develop home-grown stars.​
The ultimate goal for China is to host a Rugby World Cup and plans are in place to launch a professional 15-a-side league featuring foreign players as soon as next year.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Good stuff. And presumably these matches will be for sevens "caps" (info on those sort of records tends not to be easy to find).

This is interesting:
China to host richest ever rugby sevens tournament as US$100 million injection bears first fruit
Monday, 17 July, 2017​
China is to host the richest ever rugby sevens tournament, with the top eight finishers from the 2016-17 World Rugby Sevens Series to fight it out in the “Champion of Champions” in Shanghai in October.​
The tournament, which is a similar concept to the eight-player ATP Finals in tennis, is part of a push to grow rugby in the country and it is hoped having the likes of Fiji, South Africa and New Zealand strut their stuff will help put the relatively unknown sport on the map.​
On October 20 or late October, we will invite eight teams with the best records to Shanghai,” said Alisports vice president Wei Quanming. “[The venue] will be in Yangpu district.”​
Earlier in the year, when discussing the possibility of the tournament, World Rugby chief Brett Gosper said it would feature the “highest ever prize money we have seen in sevens”.​
Alisports – the sports division of e-commerce giant Alibaba, owner of the South China Morning Post – will host the tournament and is leading the charge as far as popularising rugby in China.​
Last October, the company invested US$100 million over 10 years with the aim of attracting a million new players within five years.​
The company is planning the Champion of Champions tournament along with World Rugby and the Chinese Rugby Football Association (CRFA) and Wei said China’s national team will also be invited.​
China’s men’s team is very much a work in progress but a chance to lock horns with the best eight teams in the world is an opportunity fellow developing sides, such as Hong Kong, would kill for.​
According to Wei, Alisports, which is engaged in a long-term partnership with the CRFA, will remain focused on growing the sport from the ground up despite leading off with a world-class tournament:​
“Our main focus is still to develop home-grown stars.​
The ultimate goal for China is to host a Rugby World Cup and plans are in place to launch a professional 15-a-side league featuring foreign players as soon as next year.

I keep saying this. Our future is up north. As in our direct north.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Get 'em to bring the all-star 15s from their post-season to our NRC. :D
And maybe this "National Competitions Conference" today is about kicking off a new sevens series (or maybe not )

Lol, nice one. We all know the ARU hasn't the foresight to see such an opportunity when it's right there on its doorstep.

If the Chinese throw a 10th at Rugby as they have at Soccer they could buy their way to competitiveness as a league no worries. Probably not even a 10th. If they are looking to do something around 15s we should be looking at getting on board. We have 5 teams. They could buy 5 teams and he'll even the Japanese could chuck 5 in (provided they focus on competitiveness as opposed to qualification) and Bob's your aunt you have a new shiny league in favourable timezone with access to two huge markets.

Even if not at the 15s level do it at 7s. Set up a franchise based circuit. Centralised around the Asia-Pacific. Wight franchises with 8 stops over 8 weeks.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Get 'em to bring the all-star 15s from their post-season to our NRC. :D
And maybe this "National Competitions Conference" today is about kicking off a new sevens series (or maybe not )

Here's a thought. Depending on when this league is scheduled perhaps we can look to align the NRC with it, the NPC and the Top League and introduce our own version of the Champions Cup.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
From what I have seen over the years, soccer is popular mainly because of gambling.

Throwing money at a sport achieves very little in the short term. Rugby or anything else.

I would love a quid for every business that has entered the Chinese market because it is so big, and "just a tiny market share will keep us in clover".

Doesn't happen. Or very rarely.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
From what I have seen over the years, soccer is popular mainly because of gambling.

Throwing money at a sport achieves very little in the short term. Rugby or anything else.

I would love a quid for every business that has entered the Chinese market because it is so big, and "just a tiny market share will keep us in clover".

Doesn't happen. Or very rarely.

Except the company pushing this is Chinese. So that's an immediate advantage. They'd be more aware of the differing challenges when working in the Chinese marketplace.

Their investment is already having effect. Was reading an article about the growth of the game in one of the Chinese provinces. It went from one University club to over 20 all running multiple 7s teams with most of them being 5 deep. They also have plans to start up a provincial 15s league from next year.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The important thing Wamb, is that it seems to be done with very little work done on behalf of World Rugby, being almost entirely Chinese driven.

Which allows lots of plaudits if it's successful, and a clear separation from any failures, which is the ideal situation for Rugby to be in.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The important thing Wamb, is that it seems to be done with very little work done on behalf of World Rugby, being almost entirely Chinese driven.

Which allows lots of plaudits if it's successful, and a clear separation from any failures, which is the ideal situation for Rugby to be in.

I think they are using the WR (World Rugby) Get Into Rugby framework and WR (World Rugby) are providing assistance to the CRFU in updating their organisation but as you say this push is primarily internal.

There's probably a higher likelihood that come year 10 of this plan they will have fallen short of their targets. But considering where Rugby was prior to this initiative and if they manage to replicate my example above across all 34 administrative districts in China the the game will still be in a much better place.