• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Obviously the standard of the tournament was pretty low (Germany beat England in the preliminary rounds) but good for the young Aussies to get some winning experience.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Ben O’Donnell went quite well from the bits and pieces I’ve seen.. he is a big framed guy with speed and footwork, so offers a bit of versatility going forward.

But, the player who impressed me was Maurice Longbottom, I hear he came from the Loyd McDermott pathway, but that’s all I know.. he looks to be a playmaker and might be a worthy replacement for Stannard in the next 18months. Talented young guy.

Highlights of the final here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That wasn't even close.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Longbottom is the most exciting player I have seen for a long time, based on the highlights on “Kick and Chase”.

T

TOCC

Yes it took the media a while but they finally caught wind of his performance...

However like Reg said, it was against Development teams, they are far from their full strength teams.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Apparently WR (World Rugby) are looking at a proposal by IMG to establish an IPL like 7s league based around 6 franchises across Europe. According to what I've read (which is very limited) it will involve two franchises from the UK and one from Ireland.
I think it is quite interesting as a concept. But will need some level of tweaking to make work. If it does prove workable I'd actually like to see it done in other regions. Asia, Americas, Africa. Top 2 can then go into a playoff tournament in either Hong Kong or Dubai or some such.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Only saw the Final, Ozzies new boys look like they are going to improve things.
Pretty confident last year was rock bottom.
Some promising signs.....

T

TOCC

New tournament to be launched in Brisbane, the Super7s scheduled for the 3rd and 4th of Feb 2018. Same weekend as the Hamilton 7s, so likely just the usual club and international teams who play in events like
The Central Coast sevens.

T

TOCC

Yes come to think of it, Women’s don’t have a leg in Hamilton, and with Sydney 7s the weekend before it would make logistical for them to play another tournament in Oceania before they all head home.

Besides that I don’t know anymore, but sounds like a bit of support from tourism QLD, West’s or Ballymore are the two probable hosts you would think.

T

TOCC

Super7s scheduled for Brisbane set to have 12 international teams, so likely the same women’s ones playing in Sydney.

T

TOCC

Aussies Men’s beat Fiji 27-0 in first match of the Silicon Valley 7s, and Chile best New Zealand 7-0

T

TOCC

Maurice Longbottom is turning into a star of the Aussie 7s team