• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There is allegedly a Pathway to Gold for the Rugby 7's version of the game according to ARU literature.

I am not sure who is "in the programme" for this or if it only exists as an aspirational programme.

Recent staffing cutbacks at ARU do not fill me full of confidence that there is much more than lip service and ad hocery applied to the Rugby 7's development stream on the pathway.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think he's too big and wouldn't be fit and fast enough. I think Gill and McMahon would be considered the biggest there, no need to get bigger. DJ Forbes is NZ's go to forward and he would be smaller than Gill and McMahon.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One absolute bruiser helps.

What was the name of that Fijian born Soldier that used to play for England 7's?

Damudamu I think. About 6 foot lots and 105 kg. He got tonnes of meat for the Soap Dodgers.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
AUSTRALIA’S Sevens team for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow has been given a huge boost with the inclusion of Liam Gill and Sean McMahon.
Gill has missed out on Wallabies selection for this series against France and with the Reds struggling near the bottom of the Super Rugby table, he’ll be free of finals commitments when the Games commence on July 23.
McMahon, the Australian under-20s captain, doesn’t have to worry about finals given his franchise Melbourne can’t qualify either.
Both Gill and McMahon have a background in Sevens and will strengthen Australia’s campaign to finally derail New Zealand’s unbeaten Comm Games run.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Australian Men’s Sevens squad for the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games:
Ed Jenkins. Club: Sydney University, NSW. Place of Birth: Sydney, NSW
Jesse Parahi*. Club: Northern Suburbs, NSW. Place of Birth: Sydney, NSW
Tom Cusack*. Club: Canberra Royals, ACT. Place of Birth: Canberra, ACT
Sean McMahon*. Club: Endeavour Hills, VIC. Place of Birth: Brisbane, QLD
Sam Myers*. Club: Northern Suburbs, NSW. Place of Birth: Forbes, NSW
Liam Gill. Club: Sunnybank, QLD. Place of Birth: Melbourne, VIC
Con Foley*. Club: University of Queensland, QLD. Place of Birth: Brisbane, QLD
Tom Lucas*. Club: Sunnybank, QLD. Place of Birth: Rockhampton, QLD
James Stannard. Club: Souths, QLD. Place of Birth: Brisbane, QLD
Cameron Clark*. Club: Northern Suburbs, NSW. Place of Birth: Auckland, New Zealand
Pama Fou*. Club: Souths, QLD. Place of Birth: Auckland, New Zealand
Greg Jeloudev*. Club: Sydney University, NSW. Place of Birth: Sydney, NSW

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gill and McMahon are big enough. McMahon was one the biggest damaging forwards when he was on the circuit and that was when he at least a good 5kgs lighter. He'll go very well from what I saw in the u20s. NZ only have forward in their squad which is Forbes and he's a lightweight in the 15 man game.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If McMahon continues on his U20 form he'll be great. He was dragging 3-4 guys along every time he hit the ball up.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Gill and McMahon are big enough. McMahon was one the biggest damaging forwards when he was on the circuit and that was when he at least a good 5kgs lighter. He'll go very well from what I saw in the u20s. NZ only have forward in their squad which is Forbes and he's a lightweight in the 15 man game.

I am well aware of McMahon's capabilities, but given that we did not win the circuit, it seems logical that we should find ways to win more consistently, particularly against the Keewees, but also against the Brits.

We do not have the attacking firepower that the Keewees have, I believe that one important ingredient in beating them is to be able to beat them up a bit at the breakdown. We do not have the size and blistering speed that the Poms have, we need to match their size and outwit them in attack.

I have said it before, we need someone like Luke Jones, who can do some real damage in contact and at the breakdown.

Tartan Blue

Bob McCowan (2)
See applications are out for coaches NSW 7s coaches men's, youth men's and women's
NSW Women's 7s have already been decided
Does anyone know or a closed shop already?
Disappointing ARU and NSW at their best again?
Never a fair playing field for aspiring coaches ...
Will they ever get it right?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just had a look at the draw, the loser of the Aus vs Eng match will likely afford playing NZ until the final instead of the semi. Interesting.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Geraint Jones, in today's Hurled, talking about looking at athletes in other sports "including NRL and AFL". Not for 2016, but for 2020. All subject to ARU funding, of course. In other words, it won't happen any time soon, if ever.

I assume that this is just a way of getting a bit of free publicity for the Commonwealth Games Sevens competition.