• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
The boys did very well in Glasgow overnight. Great work rates and support play saw them easily handle the poms in the last pool match.

Although, it seemed that the poms were making almost too many rookie type mistakes, penalised very often, even had 2 yellow cards for the penalties - not that it would ever happen in sport, but maybe the poms didn't want to face NZ in the semis, and would rather face them in a gold medal match if they both make it???

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Thunderbolts played a great brand of Sevens, terrific structures in both defense and attack. They outplayed the Dodgers everywhere, after the first couple of minutes (although we have to learn to score tries nearer to the posts).

It would be a very brave coach who would send his team out onto the field to deliberately lose a match. I think we beat the Dodgers fair and square, they looked to me as though they were trying.

T

tranquility

Gill actually looked a little cumbersome in the England match, I thought? Not saying he didn't contribute, but it's funny seeing him as the lumbering up the guts type player. Really shows, how fast 7s is.

It also comes down to the fact that he hasn't been conditioning himself for 7s, playings against 7s pros.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Liam Fucking Gill.

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=902419713105209" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=902419713105209">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/TheRugbyBanterPage">Rugby Banter Page</a>.</div></div>

Credit to James Stannard as well. Gilly created that turnover though, which led to us winning the match.

Edit: I cant seem to embed the video but try the links.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
Solid performance by the Aussies, taking Bronze. I missed the 3:44am match vs NZ, but did catch the Bronze medal match where they manhandled Samoa. Suffocating defense!

All credit goes to the Blitzbok! Showed true guts against the Kiwis to win Gold. Not sure Aussies would have got past them in the other semi!

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hooper would make a great 7's player based on what i saw, reckon izzy would be as well, don't buy people saying he wouldn't be fit enough

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
Hooper would make a great 7's player based on what i saw, reckon izzy would be as well, don't buy people saying he wouldn't be fit enough

I know Hooper is on the ARU's watchlist for the Olympics/qualifiers. Gill, McMahon, Foley, and Hooper are definitely on their list from what they told me. Foley would have been included in CG squad if Waratahs were not in finals. Izzy is probably on the list as well, but its more media driven - his contract status is the biggest roadblock.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Is alby Mathewson eligible to play for aus sevens? Would he consider it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Thanks braveheart. Interesting about NZ citizenship. Did not know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
will this help?

The Australian Rugby Union today announced the launch of four Rugby Sevens national competitions split over two weekends in Sydney in February and March 2015.

The Youth Boys and Girls (Under 18s) National Sevens Championships will take place over three days between Friday, 27 February and Sunday, 1 March 2015.

The Men's and Women's National Sevens Championships will take place a week later between Friday, 6 March and Sunday, 8 March.

Taking place at Australian Rugby Sevens HQ at the Sydney Academy of Sport in Narrabeen, Sydney, the National Rugby Sevens Championships are a national residential competition for players from State, Territory and affiliate representative teams.

Boasting IRB Women's Sevens Player of the Year Emilee Cherry in its ranks, Queensland won the 2014 National Women's Sevens Championship at the AIS in Canberra in March. New South Wales, meanwhile, is the current Youth Girls title holders.

It will be the first time the ARU has hosted a national Men's and Youth Boys competition.

Geraint John, ARU Director of Rugby Sevens, said: "I am delighted to announce the launch of these four competitions for 2015 at our excellent centralised facilities at the Sydney Academy of Sport in Narrabeen.

"The championships will give players a platform to showcase their skills alongside some of the best players Rugby Sevens has to offer in this country, and will give players an indication of the demands placed on players competing in IRB-affiliated tournaments.

"This competition will be a crucial pathway in Australian Rugby identifying Rugby Sevens talent, including players, coaches, referees and managers.

"With Rugby Sevens' debut at the Olympics on the horizon, it is an incredibly exciting time for the sport and we want to give Australia the best chance of qualifying for the Games and winning a gold medal. The 2015 National Championships are another important step to putting the right building blocks in place to achieve these goals."

The Australian Rugby Union has offered invitations to State and representative teams across Australia. These include: New South Wales, Queensland, Australian Capital Territory, Victoria, Western Australia, Northern Territory, South Australia, Tasmania, Australian Services, National Indigenous and Australian University.

All of the Australian Rugby Sevens staff, including Director of Rugby Sevens Geraint John, will be in attendance at all four competitions.

Rugby Sevens is a major factor in the increase in participation numbers in Australia. Figures from the Australian Rugby Annual Participation Census show participation in Rugby Sevens grew more than 40% in the past year, equating to an additional 15,864 participants taking part in the faster and lower contact version of Rugby in 2013 compared to 2012.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Should do but I think it will be more for 2020 rather than Rio. If a player hasn't been identified by now then the chances are they wont make it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I had a read through a couple Commonwealth Games thread on a various internet forums and the 7s was very well received by everyone. Most of them loved it thought it was very exciting and fast paced and loved the skill of some of the tries scored. Lots of comments about "if this was normal rugby I'd watch it all the time", "first time watching 7s loved it", "don't know the all the rules but love amount of tries". I was really surprised by the first time comments, even if you're not a rugby fan you'd at least have this the format before?? Well apparently not and it just shows how absolutely critical it is that we get some FTA coverage.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
A NRC 7's down the track would be great. Could add a couple of extra teams and it would make for good TV.

Baby steps though. At least we now have a national men's championships.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Talking to a Bulldogs NRL supporter at work yesterday, he basically said with complete honesty:

"Watched some of that rugby 7s at the Comm Games. It was awful, no-one looked like they knew what they were doing and it was really scratchy. Are they even proper rugby players?"

Spent a couple of minutes explaining why 7s and 15s players were different, trying to get through the fact that it isn't just like League 9s where you play the same game but with less blokes.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Seven's isn't trying to chase league supporters. It's after people with a passing interest in sport who like the action and excitement of lots of points being scored. There are a few billion of them in the world while league supporters would number around 5 million tops.

Also I think the Olympics being in south America will be great for the game in USA. They will have the excitement of the tournament in prime viewing time on an Olympic weekend.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
Talking to a Bulldogs NRL supporter at work yesterday, he basically said with complete honesty:

"Watched some of that rugby 7s at the Comm Games. It was awful, no-one looked like they knew what they were doing and it was really scratchy. Are they even proper rugby players?"

Spent a couple of minutes explaining why 7s and 15s players were different, trying to get through the fact that it isn't just like League 9s where you play the same game but with less blokes.

Odd, most League fans I speak with are familiar with Sevens and quite a few like watching it (especially over 15s), but there is always a few hardcore ones that hate rugby no matter what. Several IRB 7s coaches came from League backgrounds, and have all stated that 7s defense/attack more closely mimic League than 15s, so any open minded League fan should pick up on Sevens quite easily.

Now the standard in most matches in Glasgow was actually poor with so many minnows (ie Barbados, Uganda, etc) playing. The Olympics will not have any minnows (non-core IRB sides), so the standard will be much higher across the entire tournament.

It is also interesting that 171,000 people went to the 4 sessions. That equates to 14% of the 1.2million total tickets sold at all Commonwealth Games events!