• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Odd, most League fans I speak with are familiar with Sevens and quite a few like watching it (especially over 15s), but there is always a few hardcore ones that hate rugby no matter what. Several IRB 7s coaches came from League backgrounds, and have all stated that 7s defense/attack more closely mimic League than 15s, so any open minded League fan should pick up on Sevens quite easily.

Now the standard in most matches in Glasgow was actually poor with so many minnows (ie Barbados, Uganda, etc) playing. The Olympics will not have any minnows (non-core IRB sides), so the standard will be much higher across the entire tournament.

It is also interesting that 171,000 people went to the 4 sessions. That equates to 14% of the 1.2million total tickets sold at all Commonwealth Games events!

I don't think this exists :)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I was actually pointing out the fact that there are some league fans who can't comprehend a game where you don't just repeat the same pattern over and over and over and over and over and kick.

His assumption that "no-one looked like they knew what they were doing" is based on the EDIT belief fact that an oval ball game with shirt sleeves should just be truck-it-up-and-smash. League 9s is basically league 13s with a bit more space, after all.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
I was actually pointing out the fact that there are some league fans who can't comprehend a game where you don't just repeat the same pattern over and over and over and over and over and kick.

His assumption that "no-one looked like they knew what they were doing" is based on the fact that an oval ball game with shirt sleeves should just be truck-it-up-and-smash. League 9s is basically league 13s with a bit more space, after all.

Good point.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
Anyone keen on watching some of the best 7s in the World up close and personal?

The Noosa 7s on 3-4 October is doubling as the Oceanic Championships. Its a warm-up for the Gold Coast 7s the next weekend.
Starts off the Olympic qualifying season...

Mens:
Pool APool BPool C
(1) New Zealand (2) Fiji (3) Samoa
(6) American Samoa (5) Cook Islands (4) Australia
(7) Papua New Guinea (8) Solomon Islands (9) Tonga
(12) Niue (11) Tahiti (10) New Caledonia

Womens:
Pool​
New Zealand
Australia
Fiji
Samoa
Papua New Guinea
Cook Islands
Tonga

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SEARCH FOR A SEVENS STAR
Have you ever dreamt of representing Australia at the Olympics?
Do you love sport?
Are you between 15 and 17 years old?

It doesn't matter what sport you play or if you are a male or a female, Rugby Sevens is looking for you!

We are on the hunt for the fastest, strongest, most agile junior athletes to join the ARUs centralised Rugby Sevens program at the world-class Sydney Academy of Sport facility.

National talent searches will take place across the country on Sunday, 26 October (Sunday, 2 November in Western Australia) with a view to finding stars that have the potential to shine at the Olympics Games for Australia in Rio in 2016 or Tokyo in 2020.

So what is Rugby Sevens?
  • 7 players on each team
  • 7 minutes a half on a full-sized Rugby pitch
  • Stats say that a try is scored every 80 seconds of game time!
  • Rugby Sevens is to be played at the 2016 Olympic Games for the first time in the history of the sport
WHICH CENTRE ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?

Note - all are held 26/10/2014 with the exception of WA which is held 2/11/2014
    • Adelaide - Old Collegians Rugby Club, Tregenza oval, Linden Park
    • Brisbane - Ballymore Stadium, Clyde Road, Herston
    • North Queensland - Trinity Anglican School, White Rock
    • Canberra - Brumbies Oval Number 1, University of Canberra, Eastern entrance
    • Melbourne - John Fawkner College, Jukes Road, Fawkner
    • Perth - McGillivray Oval, University of WA ,off McGillivray Road in Mount Claremont
    • Sydney - Sir Thomas Mitchell Reserve, Alexander St, Dundas Valley
http://www.rugby.com.au/sevens/SearchforaStar.aspx

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
http://www.irbsevens.com/news/newsid=2073140.html
Oceania Sevens 2014 results

Men’s
Pool A: American Samoa 12-12 PNG, New Zealand 57-7 Niue, American Samoa 15-10 Niue, New Zealand 48-0 PNG, PNG 33-5 Niue, New Zealand 20-5 American Samoa

Pool B: Cook Islands 21-5 Solomon Islands, Fiji 64-0 Tahiti, Cook Islands 26-5 Tahiti, Fiji 36-0 Solomon Islands, Solomon Islands 26-7 Tahiti, Fiji 34-0 Cook Islands
Pool C: Australia 21-0 Tonga 0, Samoa 40-7 New Caledonia, Australia 40-7 New Caledonia, Samoa 29-7 Tonga, Tonga 24-12 New Caledonia, Samoa 12-26 Australia

Quarter-finals: Fiji 49-7 Tonga, Samoa 31-7 Cook Islands, Australia 59-0 American Samoa, New Zealand 54-0 Papua New Guinea

Fifth to eighth place semi-finals: Tonga 29-5 Cook Islands, American Samoa 10-27 Papua New Guinea

Ninth to 12th place semi-finals: Solomon Islands 14-12 Tahiti, New Caledonia 0-19 Niue

Final: Fiji 21-5 New Zealand
Third place play-off: Samoa 33-7 Australia
Fifth place play-off: Papua New Guinea 26-17 Tonga
Seventh place play-off: Cook Islands 36-19 American Samoa
Ninth place play-off: Solomon Islands 19-14 Niue
Eleventh place play-off: New Caledonia 31-10 Tahiti

Women’s
Pool stages: Fiji 38-0 PNG, Australia 41-0 Tonga, New Zealand 41-0 Cook Islands, Samoa 24-12 Tonga, Australia 24-5 Fiji, PNG 24-10 Cook Islands, PNG 34-14 Tonga, Samoa 19-0 Cook Islands, New Zealand 24-7 Fiji, Tonga 5-30 Cook Islands, Samoa 12 PNG 10, New Zealand 19 Australia 17, Fiji 50-0 Tonga, Australia 33-0 Cook Islands, New Zealand 40-0 Samoa, Fiji 50-0 Cook Islands, Australia 45-0 Samoa, New Zealand 29-7 PNG, Fiji 31-0 Samoa, Australia 31-0 PNG, New Zealand 52-0 Tonga,

Final: New Zealand 31-10 Australia

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
Regarding the Oceanic 7s, the Fiji team that one it was a B side. None of those players will be at the Gold Coast 7s barring injury replacement.

Both the NZ and AUS teams had 6-8 players that will be in the Gold Coast 7s.

I think Fiji will be hard to beat this season, along with NZ and South Africa. There will be a fierce competition for the 4th Olympic qualifying spot among AUS, ENG, and SAM, with possible CAN or ARG stepping up.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think the discussion has already been had, but for Olympics it will be Team UK, not ENG, WAL, or SCO. (IRE not on the 7's circuit but their team would be split between IRE and UK depending on citizenship).

How do IRB reconcile the qualification status of Team UK for Rio if ENG are 5th, WAL 7th and SCO 12th (Example only) at the end of this season?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Technically if any of Wales, Scotland and England qualify, team GB goes to the Olympics.

For all intents and purposes, it means England is the team GB rep.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does that mean that only ENG players will be in Team GB at Rio, or could they have a couple of Welshmen and a Scot in the GB team at Rio (assuming that they qualify)?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Does that mean that only ENG players will be in Team GB at Rio, or could they have a couple of Welshmen and a Scot in the GB team at Rio (assuming that they qualify)?

My uninformed guess would be, yes the GB Sevens team could include players from Wales, Scotland, and even Northern Ireland.

I don't think that the IRB rules would apply, England, Scotland, and Wales are all part of GB to the IOC.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
Technically if any of Wales, Scotland and England qualify, team GB goes to the Olympics.

For all intents and purposes, it means England is the team GB rep.

Technically, GB has declared that ENG is the only team that can qualify GB this IRB Sevens Season. This is to prevent GB from having 3 horses in the race and stacking the odds.

However, ANY player with a GB passport can be selected for the Olympic team.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I must have misread an article somewhere. Stupid me for not checking before running my mouth. I'm wrong on the internet! After corrected someone else too. The shame!

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Technically, GB has declared that ENG is the only team that can qualify GB this IRB Sevens Season. This is to prevent GB from having 3 horses in the race and stacking the odds.

However, ANY player with a GB passport can be selected for the Olympic team.

Doesn't seem ideal. Basically makes it in the Wales and Scotland's interest to lose any matches they play against England.

Eg, if they're in the same pool, rest their top players against England, then come out fresh against England's main rival for topping the pool.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Omar Comin', From my knowledge of the Welsh and the Scots, there is no way would they throw anything for the Soap Dodgers in any sport, let alone rugby 7's, even if it meant that they were possibly going to cost Team GB a tilt at Rio Olympics.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
@Omar Comin', From my knowledge of the Welsh and the Scots, there is no way would they throw anything for the Soap Dodgers in any sport, let alone rugby 7's, even if it meant that they were possibly going to cost Team GB a tilt at Rio Olympics.

How about if it's the final leg of the series and prior results mean England need to make the cup semi finals to come 4th and achieve automatic qualification.

Lets say England play Wales or Scotland in the quarter finals.

IMO that isn't fair.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
How about if it's the final leg of the series and prior results mean England need to make the cup semi finals to come 4th and achieve automatic qualification.

Lets say England play Wales or Scotland in the quarter finals.

IMO that isn't fair.

Tough cheddar.