• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I enjoyed this (https://amp.twimg.com/v/84285770-72c4-4a3a-b18c-e55cae536d3d) and especially the3 concessions at the end around speed and playmakers.

Wondering if Lachie Turner could be an option, as a free agent (to my knowledge)? Unfortunately Sefanaia Naivalu isn't eligible to represent Australia in any form until September, as he's likely the fastest man in the country

Saw Lachie Turner walking a dog in Paddington/Red Hill on Friday night. I wonder what his next move is? He does have sevens experience.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lost a fair bit of pace after his injuries. Couldn't see a spot for him

Agreed, I think we are going about this all wrong by not having players 100% committed (as NZ do with Messam and SBW) but if Turner isn't on a S18 roster surely give him a buzz and see if he wants to train with the squad. Maybe they could have more 7v7 training hitouts etc.

T

TOCC

Interesting since Ireland have historically neglected Sevens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Interesting since Ireland have historically neglected Sevens

David Nucifora is trying to change that as Ireland's Performance Director. He's re-established 7s for women and men, and they're recruiting a lot of players from GAA -- so they're big on handling skills and finding space. (Like Australia, rugby is riding behind a few other more popular sports, so they're trying to recruit some of those other athletes.) The women have a bit more experience than the men at this point; some of their players also played 15s for Ireland. But they seem to run a little more hot and cold than the men -- I think it's mainly a fitness thing.

The men played a load of smaller tournaments in Europe last year, and were also in that secondary tournament that was competed alongside the Dubai 7s (the one with the Samurai 7s and other club sides like that). It was their biggest tournament yet, and they dropped two matches overall, IIRC. There's promise there.

I think Nucifora's grand plan is to just make sure Ireland has another pathway into the game, and 7s is one with an international component. That's something GAA players aren't going to get unless they play Australia in International Rules or Scotland in some modified game of hurling/shinty. Part of the idea is that if the players dig the sport, they can then use 7s as a pathway into playing 15s in the provinces -- but it's only been a couple years, and I don't think that's happened yet.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Makes for a good move then. Lets hope it's a couple of great days. I'll have to organise myself and get some Qld's down there next year. Would be a great boys weekend.

T

TOCC

6'000 tickets left, so 82'000 tickets have been sold across both days.. Sounds very promising, it's a shame it's not on FTA to give it that added coverage.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I hope they do pass-outs.

I'm going with a group on Sunday and judging from other events, the first game of the final day is likely to be around 9:30 or 10am and the final at about 8pm. That's a helluva long time to spend sitting at a sporting event.

I'd like to see all the Aussie games on the final day but ideally I'd like to turn up for their early game, and then come back after lunch for the rest of the day to watch all the remaining games.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
We have a bus of 24 going. Dads, wives, kids all in dress up kit. Tickets dont state what time it starts but gut feel is the Sydney 7s will be a much bigger success than many think. Also should provide some nice momentum into the start of the Super Rugby tournie and Shute shield in syd. This could be quite a big annual event going forward as I have friends scambling for tickets currently.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It certainly is a great start. It will be fascinating to see how whether this success is deep and lasting.

Hong Kong Sevens drew an average of about 5000 for two days for the first 10 or more years, then gradually started to build. And build. And it looks like being around for ever. The Sevens weekend is now a huge social event for expats (and some locals) not only those living in Hong Kong, but from elsewhere in the region. People queue for tickets (and some send their maids to queue) for days.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I also think it has the potential to be a great long term event in Sydney. It's more likely to draw in non-rugby fans than other rugby events as people learn it's a great day out. Hopefully they don't hike up ticket prices in future because of this initial success - the events success requires a near full crowd. The biggest threat to it in the medium term would probably be if the NRL 9's is ever moved to Sydney.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If the HK example is a benchmark, the off-field stuff (inside the stadium, and, equally important, outside it) is the key to long-term growth. Frankly, the on-field stuff is kind of incidental.

Conversely, the NRL event is probably successful because it involves NRL teams, which are pretty heavily supported.

So, in my opinion, there would be some potential overlap in support, but each could survive on its own merits. But the Nines has the home-ground advantage in terms of competitive edge and parochial support.

T

TOCC

John Porch and Sam Kennewell selected as the 2 debutants at the Wellington Sevens. Pama Fou and Pat McCutcheon out with injuries

Qantas Australian Men’s Sevens squad for the HSBC Wellington Sevens at Westpac Stadium, New Zealand:
1. Henry Hutchison. Club: Randwick, NSW. Hometown: Crows Nest, NSW
2. Tom Kingston. Club: Sydney University, NSW. Hometown: Sydney, NSW
3. Sam Myers. Club: Northern Suburbs, NSW. Hometown: Grenfell, NSW
4. Tom Lucas. Club: Sunnybank. Hometown: Rockhampton, QLD
5. James Stannard. Club: Souths, QLD. Hometown: Brisbane, QLD
6. Simon Kennewell. Place of Birth: Collaroy, NSW. Hometown: Sydney, NSW
7. Sam Figg. Club: Randwick, NSW. Hometown: Sydney, NSW
8. Greg Jeloudev. Club: Sydney University, NSW. Hometown: Sydney, NSW
9. Boyd Killingworth. Club: Warringah Rats, NSW. Hometown: Collaroy, NSW
10. Allan Fa'alava'au. Club: Endeavour Hills, VIC. Hometown: Melbourne, VIC
11. Stephan van der Walt. Place of Birth: Kersdop, South Africa
12. John Porch. Club: Northern Suburbs, NSW. Hometown: Sydney, NSW