• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
No disrespect to the guys going but doesn't seem to be our strongest squad.

Anyone know if there is a truckload of injuries or is it some sort of playing the long game and giving up on the HSBC series for the Olympics?

Senior players like Foley, Jenkins, Clark, Holland, Malouf not there.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Greg Clark said on twitter that the players work load is being managed ahead of Rio. I guess that means players are being rested.

T

TOCC

I question whether 3 tournaments and limited training camp time will be enough for Quade to get up to the required standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think coaching philosophy is more important when assessing his value to the squad.
He is two grades above everyone else in ability at this point of time,but if they insist on playing a conservative style then his value add will be neglible IMO.

If we play a high risk/high reward game we are a big chance.A conservative game plan will probably just get us out of our pool.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I really like the addition of Quade. He has great skills and is really fast. He spent plenty of time last year working on his speed, getting personal training on top of what the Reds did.

His defence will need some work but I think they can manage that.

Totally agree with ILTW. We need to play a high risk game if we want to make an impact.

T

TOCC

Worst case scenario it provides a marketing boost to the Sydney 7's..

Should be some good photo opportunities in the days before with Quade and SBW.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I question whether 3 tournaments and limited training camp time will be enough for Quade to get up to the required standard.

It will all depend on the players around him, and the game-plan. He can do amazing things, given the opportunity - giving him the opportunities is the challenge.

It is a very big gamble.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yeah and she dominates! A lot of the women's team are from other backgrounds. It's not as needed in men's given the greater base of male rugby players, but in this one specific area - speed, we do seem to be lacking.

Yeh a mates daughter has just been dragged from the women's national oztag side & sprinting to the national 7s set-up. Express pace on her (as you'd expect from a sprinter lol)

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yeh a mates daughter has just been dragged from the women's national oztag side & sprinting to the national 7s set-up. Express pace on her (as you'd expect from a sprinter lol)

Said girl won the women's Botany Bay Gift today (handicapped sprint race). Pretty amazing for a 17 year old.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sydney Club 7s draw/run sheet
6e40dc1442e4a60d91ea183183837adb.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Having refused ARU's request to release Quade early so he could train with the team in Wellington ahead of a Sydney debut, Toulon have now seen to it that he won't arrive in Sydney until Wednesday.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...inty-to-make-australia-debut-at-sydney-sevens

I don't see how you could possibly pick him <72 hours of arriving in Oz & that's one of the three Legs Toulon have graciously agreed to release him for. Don't expect to see Cooper Q on the team-sheet for Rio (mores the pity, I reckon he's a natural but there's just not going to be enough time for him to make it IMO).

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Having refused ARU's request to release Quade early so he could train with the team in Wellington ahead of a Sydney debut, Toulon have now seen to it that he won't arrive in Sydney until Wednesday.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...inty-to-make-australia-debut-at-sydney-sevens

I don't see how you could possibly pick him <72 hours of arriving in Oz & that's one of the three Legs Toulon have graciously agreed to release him for. Don't expect to see Cooper Q on the team-sheet for Rio (mores the pity, I reckon he's a natural but there's just not going to be enough time for him to make it IMO).
You pick him despite only 3 days prep,cos we are zero chance of medallling in Rio without the high profile 'imports' into the squad.

Unfortunately there seems to be a bunker mentality at Narrabeen,with existing squad members resenting that some rock stars might take their Olympics spot.

I've had a gutful of hearing how they are improving.
Our squad,with our game plan are mediocre on their best day.