• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
How to win Olympic Gold?

Pillage the best talent from the AFL by offering them a chance at an Olympic Gold.

It struck me while watching today how similar the games are spatially.

#blasphemy

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
How to win Olympic Gold?

Pillage the best talent from the AFL by offering them a chance at an Olympic Gold.

#blasphemy

Not to mention naturally high fitness, speed and ball handling skills. It's really quite a good suggestion given the large amounts of ground covered in wide open space in each.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How to win Olympic Gold?

#blasphemy

Well it's no secret why the Aus woman are currently the best: they're getting the best female athletic talent playing rugby. We need that in the Men's game but generally the best athletes are going to NRL or AFL.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
How to win Olympic Gold?

#blasphemy

Maybe if we recruit some now they might be ready for 2020.

Apart from learning the technical aspects of the game, those pesky off-side laws, and the intricacies surrounding the breakdown, they have to learn how to cope with a very different ball, not to mention how to tackle and pass. And how not to knock-on.

On second thoughts, maybe not.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jesse Parahi has been granted a release from Wests Tigers and has been signed by the Aussie 7s for two years.

I wonder if he is a chance at making a late push for our Olympics team?

He would have been in our best 5 forwards last year quite comfortably.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
He'll be there for sure I reckon.

Wow didn't see that coming. A bit of a shame he couldn't make it work at the Tigers, obviously the different environment didn't suit him. Always seemed like a strange option.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
He was one of the ones who left last year because they all thought that the ARU was going to stack the team with Folau, Quade, JOC (James O'Connor) etc. which has obviously turned out to not be the case.

He was the forward I thought we definitely couldn't lose and it's bloody good to have him back

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Apparently Jason Taylor told him he wouldn't play top grade at the Tigers this year. I guess he figured he could travel to the NSWRL grounds in Sydney or enjoy the Olympics in Rio.

Great to see him back.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Apparently Jason Taylor told him he wouldn't play top grade at the Tigers this year. I guess he figured he could travel to the NSWRL grounds in Sydney or enjoy the Olympics in Rio.

Great to see him back.

Aaaah - loyalty to the Code - what is that.

Some other poor bugger who has been playing Australian Sevens (and going to the Olympics) misses out because this lad couldn't crack it in rugby league.

I wouldn't have burnt one loyal bloke to have this lad back.

It is unlikely we are going to win a medal anyway (although hopefully we do). It, once again sends a shit message to the playing group ( IMHO).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aaaah - loyalty to the Code - what is that.

Some other poor bugger who has been playing Australian Sevens (and going to the Olympics) misses out because this lad couldn't crack it in rugby league.

I wouldn't have burnt one loyal bloke to have this lad back.

It is unlikely we are going to win a medal anyway (although hopefully we do). It, once again sends a shit message to the playing group ( IMHO).

I never understood this sentiment. If he's better than Parahi he'll make the team over him, if he's not he doesn't. This is professional sport. You don't give out participation medals.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Loyalty? The sport is now a profession, not a hobby.

The best available players should be on the plane to Rio, end of story.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well then - Lets get Folau, Hooper, Gill, McMahon, Foley, and all the others. Fuck all those blokes that have dedicated the past year or so to sevens, chick them on the heap and pick the best blokes that the ARU has contracted. How many would displace the existing players but I reckon a few.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How about they're not available at the time? That's not including just the period of Rio but the few months leading into it.

I can assure you the reason we're not picking more 15s isn't because there's loyalty to the core 7s players.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well then - Lets get Folau, Hooper, Gill, McMahon, Foley, and all the others. Fuck all those blokes that have dedicated the past year or so to sevens, chick them on the heap and pick the best blokes that the ARU has contracted. How many would displace the existing players but I reckon a few.

We would if we could because we should if we could.

In fact I'm 99% sure we've tried to get those players to play.

Fact is, those players don't want to risk their 15s careers or time in the Wallabies jersey for Rio. The other players representing Aus in 7s don't have the same problem.

Friend is concerned about winning at the Olympics. It doesn't matter which players he does it with. In fact, instead of the negative influence you believe this importing of individiauls will have on the playing group, I think it will be (and has shown to be) a real positive influence on the squad.

We've seen a dozen or so individuals introduced to the squad over the last year, and we've been playing our best footy on the 7s circuit in a long time. The added competition for spots has caused everyone, and most importantly the experienced players, to step their game up where they might have otherwise been complacent.

More importing I say. Lets take out Gold.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Any and all players willing to commit to Sevens and assessed to have the requisite talent, either through prior experience/performance or training with the squad should get an opportunity. Whether they do well enough to usurp the Sevens boys is up to the selection panel.

If Gill came out today and said, I want to play at the Olympics, and am making myself available for the 3 remaining tournaments in the series and any and all lead up competition, I don't think there'd be any problems with him being on the next flight to Singapore.

The problem would be, say, at the end of the Super Rugby Season, someone (Robbie Coleman, Nick Phipps, Sean McMahon, Bernard Foley, Israel Folau etc.) Saying, oh, I wanna play in the Olympics, and the ARU rushed them in with little training up, and maybe 1 competition, 2 if they're lucky.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Dunno about "more importing". The attraction of QC (Quade Cooper) playing 7s seems to have faded for Friend, and Quade. And the prospect of JOC (James O'Connor), Folau, Beale et al was always a pipe dream, they'd have to dedicate a good six months to losing quite a few kg and upping their aerobic levels. Their Super paymasters and the ARU'd never allow it.

Parahi's been there before and done that, hopefully he can get up to speed quickly together with the extensive list of wounded 7s warriors. See here: http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/04/09/13/03/injuries-mar-aussie-sevens-quarter-finals-berth