• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Boyd Killingworth has re-signed with the 7s team for two more years.

Given that a few of the key players will be quite likely to have a crack at getting a Super Rugby contract after the Olympics, it's good to see a likely Olympics team member recommit to the squad.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good news about Killingworth I always thought he had a good shot at Sevens but I didn't expect him to be as good as he is, so quickly, to be honest.

More good news is about Parahi. He played Sevens as recently as the Olympic qualifiers - in November, I think; so he can't be too far off the mark in physical preparation, if not quite in aerobic capacity, and rugby union Sevens play.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
From that article it also appears Pama Fou will be available for London. Him and Parahi back will be a great boost for us.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
You do realise that Bernard Foley and Nick Phipps were essentially our best players when they played 7s and basically lead to their Super rugby contracts..

(Also the reply function doesn't seem to work- do you need to use Chrome as a browser?)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So Quade is officially not going to Rio. A shame, as I think he showed a lot of potential in his two outings.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Any news on Henry Speight? Think he could be better utilised at the Brumbies rather than in 7s given the current injury issues in the backs.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Speight won't be back before Rio. Same with Lewis Holland.

A few big selection decisions to be made. Can't see Speight making the cut.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think most of us thought he would be terrific at sevens.

Obviously the Coach believes differently.

I think everyone acknowledges that Scrubber, even the coach. Just that without him playing multiple tournaments and training with the team, he is too much of a risk to take to the Olympics.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think everyone acknowledges that Scrubber, even the coach. Just that without him playing multiple tournaments and training with the team, he is too much of a risk to take to the Olympics.

Fair enough but then, why pick him at all if he was doomed from the start.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Fair enough but then, why pick him at all if he was doomed from the start.

Because there was interest from both sides and it was worth investigating because of the skill set he offers.

Some players have taken to 7s much faster than others.

There was every chance it would have worked.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Because there was interest from both sides and it was worth investigating because of the skill set he offers.

Some players have taken to 7s much faster than others.

There was every chance it would have worked.

Don't know about "every chance"

The reality is that it did not !!!!

Seems like a distraction in retropect

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Don't know about "every chance"

The reality is that it did not !!!!

Seems like a distraction in retropect

We've used about 25 players to make up our 12 man squad this season.

There's a lot of experimentation going on to try and work out our best combinations.

There are a couple of players who won't be far from making the final 12 for the Olympics with only two or three tournaments played particularly depending on how a couple of players recover from injury. That said, if your only criteria in selecting players this season was whether they were very likely to make our Olympics team, you wouldn't have picked about 8-10 players.

We've also wanted to manage the workloads of our key players so having more players available has been important.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
We've used about 25 players to make up our 12 man squad this season.

There's a lot of experimentation going on to try and work out our best combinations.

There are a couple of players who won't be far from making the final 12 for the Olympics with only two or three tournaments played particularly depending on how a couple of players recover from injury. That said, if your only criteria in selecting players this season was whether they were very likely to make our Olympics team, you wouldn't have picked about 8-10 players.

We've also wanted to manage the workloads of our key players so having more players available has been important.

Mate, I think i'll just leave it there
Have a nice day