• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't know about "every chance"

The reality is that it did not !!!!

Seems like a distraction in retropect

A few of us have said it before. The selection of these 15s guys (Quade, Speight et al) have definitely raised the levels of the regular squad members. I guess its hard doing the same thing every year, feeling pretty comfortable in their position. This year they had a rocket up their respective arses from a new coach and new players. It's worked a treat and many are in career best form.

Anyway you cut it, I reckon it's worked very well.

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
Aussie 7s team just completed 3 day camp.
6 games , 2 per day, against a development squad which got better with every game. D'memt guys really pushed the Aussie squad on day 3.
Henry Speight major injury and out of consideration for Rio.
Not sure if there is any video available but I assume the Aussie squad would video and review each game.

Mustafa

Chris McKivat (8)
Aussie 7s team just completed 3 day camp.
6 games , 2 per day, against a development squad which got better with every game. D'memt guys really pushed the Aussie squad on day 3.
Henry Speight major injury and out of consideration for Rio.
Not sure if there is any video available but I assume the Aussie squad would video and review each game.

The games I watched the development squad got no ball. Very hard when you are vs the 4th best team in the world. The development squad was just a training squad to help the Aust team selection for Rio and maybe a couple of contracts might go to players from the development squad down the track

Mustafa

Chris McKivat (8)
I don't see the point in playing the full timers against volunteers.
The guys on the cusp are entitled to compete against each other to determine the last few available spots IMO.

100% agree with you watch. The development side should have been vs each other and possibly gone a bit longer than the 7 mins / half so you can watch players. Some development players only got 14 mins all up for the games and they the development side got no ball.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tom Cusack and Nick Malouf are now fit though so it certainly makes selection interesting.

Possible Olypics squad?

Forwards:
Jenkins (c)
Myers
Parahi
Cusack
Foley

Backs:
Clark
Holland
Stannard
Fa'alava'au
Hutchison
Jeloudev
Kingston

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tom Cusack and Nick Malouf are now fit though so it certainly makes selection interesting.

Possible Olypics squad?

Forwards:
Jenkins (c)
Myers
Parahi
Cusack
Fou

Backs:
Clark
Holland
Stannard
Fa'alava'au
Hutchison
Jeloudev
Kingston

I presume you kept Fou in there by mistake. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I saw that a squad of 14 will be going to Rio. Any suggestions for the extra places if so? Killingworth and Holland each a show?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I presume you kept Fou in there by mistake. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I saw that a squad of 14 will be going to Rio. Any suggestions for the extra places if so? Killingworth and Holland each a show?

I meant Foley! Something happened when I was editing it.

I hear 16 are going to Darwin for the camp and then that will be whittled down to 14 then to a final 12.

I would have thought only 12 go to Rio. Maybe they're allowed to take extras in case someone is injured prior to the tournament.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In terms of the 16 for the warm weather camp in Darwin, my guess would be the 12 I listed above (with Foley obviously, not Fou) and add Killingworth, McCutcheon, Malouf and Porch.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Has Kingston done enough to be in the final 16? I thought his contributions in the games I watched were average.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He's definitely improved that's for sure. And has one of our fairly regular starters in recent tournaments you'd have to think he's a strong option now, given injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk