• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
In terms of the 16 for the warm weather camp in Darwin, my guess would be the 12 I listed above (with Foley obviously, not Fou) and add Killingworth, McCutcheon, Malouf and Porch.

I did see somewhere that Friend said that Holland if fit would be in the squad to Rio. Not sure if he's going to Darwin.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Here's the 16 for the Darwin camp.

The only notable player missing through injury that was a chance of making Rio is Greg Jeloudev who still has a foot injury. Based on Friend's comments it will be very hard for him to make the final squad now.

Cameron Clark (Sydney NSW)
Tom Cusack (Canberra ACT)
Allan Fa'alava'au (Melbourne VIC)
Sam Figg (Sydney NSW)
Con Foley (Brisbane QLD)
Lewis Holland (Queanbeyan NSW)
Henry Hutchison (Sydney NSW)
Ed Jenkins (Sydney NSW)
Boyd Killingworth (Sydney NSW)
Tom Kingston (Sydney NSW)
Nick Malouf (Brisbane QLD)
Pat McCutcheon (Narromine NSW)
Sam Myers (Forbes NSW)
Jesse Parahi (Avoca NSW)
John Porch (Orange NSW)
James Stannard (Brisbane QLD)

Aside from Jeloudev being out injured (and Figg being part of the 16 instead), my prediction of the 16 for Darwin on the last page was bang on.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That's a shame for Jeloudev. With Fou out, would he and Hutchinson be our fastest in the squad? I assume Porch might be up there?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's a shame for Jeloudev. With Fou out, would he and Hutchinson be our fastest in the squad? I assume Porch might be up there?

That's what I thought. He's the third speedster after Hutch and Jelly.

I don't expect Porch to get to Rio.
It does highlight the lack of pace in the squad.

If Jelly is out he may well be. I don't rate him but our speed drops away quickly after Hutchison and Jeloudev.

T

TOCC

Australian Seven's teams for Rio

Mens: Malouf, Parahi, Hutchison, Holland, Stannard, Foley, Clark, McCutcheon, Jenkins, Fa’alava’au, Porch, Cusack

Womens: Parry, Williams, Beck, Etheridge, Tonegato, Pelite, Caslick, Dalton, Turner, Quirk, Cherry, Green

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I posted in the Rio Olympics thread but I'm amazed that Sam Myers didn't make the squad. Haven't managed to verify whether he got injured in the series against Japan.

For the women, Tiana Penatani is a bit of a surprise omission although her form was a bit patchy after a long injury layoff and Sharni Williams' return means there is one less forward spot available.

The women are in great shape though with our big 5 of Parry, Williams, Green, Quirk and Cherry all fit and in the squad.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gees, I didn't pick up on the Myers exclusion. Any word yet if injured? That's a big surprise.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^
Yeah I saw somebody comment on it but can't remember who it was. He is a major loss as his Pama Fou who recovered from his shoulder surgery only to suffer a domestic injury !!

These setbacks would make reasonable people believe that the likely chances of earning a medal have been reduced - especially when they consider the risky selection of Nick Malouf who seems compromised by injury and the recovery from it.

By contrast the selection of the Womens team is as I wrote in a blog a while back. It was that the Olympic team would be the same as the one that represented in the opening round of the 2015-16 season in Dubai - unless Penitani who missed that one because of injury got one of the spots.

She didn't, and Etheridge returned from her own injury and was chosen instead. They will present a well-balanced side both as to ability and experience.

The only negative was their relatively poor showing in the last two tournaments, having won the others.

Their loss to England in the semis in Canada was understandable because Walsh was fielding some young players but going down to Canada in the Clermont final, in the manner they did, with virtually their Rio team, was not a good look.

K

KAOPointman

I haven't caught the whole thread.......but what's people's opinions as to why Quade Cooper missed the cut. I mean I watch every game every stop and my feeling was he was KILLING it. They were winning games sooo easily with him playing at standoff. The only time he looked out of place was his first couple of minutes where he forceably held back. After that tho it was all good. With so much extra room in sevens, the other players were able to instantly get a feel for his often anytime anywhere playing style! Those finals came so easy with him running the show. And you could see at half time just how much respect the others had for him.....Cooper was allowed to do most of the tac chat!

I 100% didn't buy the coaches line that he ran out of time to acclimatise to the sport! Players like Faalaavau and Hutchison absolutely shined playing off Quade!
Anyway......be keen to hear if anyone knows more!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
^^^^^^you obviously didn't hear the strong rumours at the time, that Friend allowed the squad to vote on whether QC (Quade Cooper) played in Sydney?

When he got no game time in Sydney,he was long odds to be an Olympian.

K

KAOPointman

^^^^^^you obviously didn't hear the strong rumours at the time, that Friend allowed the squad to vote on whether QC (Quade Cooper) played in Sydney?

When he got no game time in Sydney,he was long odds to be an Olympian.
Nah missed that! If that's the case I'd be pretty let down by the players. And the coach for even asking them! I wonder if they voted out speight, porch, honey badger and anyone else who came in late. Or was it special Quade treatments?
Or didn't they notice how easy the games were with him........don't they want to win! I wonder how much credence there is to that rumour!
The Reds players are publicly calling for Quade to join them.....why don't the 7s team want the best players!!!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are a couple of factors here. For Sydney QC (Quade Cooper) was held up in France and only arrived very late in the week in what would be his first 7s tournament. I think his time of arrival was what the players may have been concerned with (not that I have heard nor necessarily agree with that rumour).

2ndly, I thought Quade was very good, with the same flaws we saw in the other traditional XV players (and saw in some of the traditional VII players too). Again the issue, I think, was his inability to spend time with the squad. I think 7s more than 15s the squad REALLY needs to work and bond as a team. They spend so much time together and work so bloody hard together that I think THATS what prevented Quade from being a realistic chance for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree that Quade showed plenty of promise in the limited opportunities that he got but he also had plenty of flaws that needed time training with the team to be able to make it work.

He would have had to have made such an impact and been obviously better than the majority of the squad to make it worthwhile including him without the ability to have him work with the squad on a regular basis. He really wasn't at that level.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have to say I'm a bit mystified by the selection of the traveling reserves; Speight and Kingston.

Both backline types of players. What happens if one of the forwards should go down with a long term injury? Surely, a better combination would have been one of each. Not sure now if Killingworth made the squad, but if not, I'd suggest he should have been one of the reserves, probably at the expense of Henry who must still have injury/fitness concerns.