• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Advertising

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I like the idea of a Roy and HG type commentary.

Still kak myself when I recall them calling the Gymnastics from Sydney 2000 when they invented names for gymnastic manoeuvres such as the "Battered Sav", the "Hello Boys" etc.

I am sure that there is plenty of talent around to do similar for a rugby game.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Soundtrack - anything from AC DC but particularly the first minute or so of Thunderstruck.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Alright, back from a couple of beers over lunch and I think I have my head around this properly now. I'm stealing heavily from other peoples ideas and then adding a bit of my own.

Open with the two shots that rugbysmartarse mentioned (NFJ and John Eales lifting their respective world cups), with the background music of 'I vow to thee my country' or 'World in Union' - just a five or six second bit here to set the scene. Fade the music out over the final bit. This sets the scene, doesn't alienate true fans, and is short enough not to lose potential fans.

Cut to the big hits and amazing passes, tries etc scene. Something a bit heavy and catchy. Last clip is JOC (James O'Connor) kicking the goal to knock off the ABs. For some reason Holy Diver by Dio keeps coming into my head, but I dont think that is the right song. The main point is to go from the faded out music showing our past glory, then come crashing back in hard and fast with the images of the current team doing impressive things.

Last two scenes are a gold background with green words stamping up on the screen. First
"In 2011,
the Wallabies
are bringing Bill home",
Then
"Qantas Wallabies
billscominghome.com.au".
Use that stamping noise that fox sports use when the words come up.

The reason I went for the Bill thing at the end is to try to gain some interest from people who have been generally intrigues by the whole rugby ad, but don't know much about the world cup. Hopefully they head to the website and check it out. Website should be set up like one of the ones that CUB use with their beer promotions, have a few comps on it, etc.

If I had any clue about how to use video editing software I would put together a concept on it.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
this

[video=youtube;dzeeaEsIFLs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzeeaEsIFLs&NR=1[/video]

followed by an end caption "because life isn't fair"

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I love this Irish Rugby ad:

although it would never work here. But imagine the footage of Nick Shehadie passing to John Thornett to Mark Loane to Andrew Slack to Nick Farr-Jones to Tim Horan to Steve Larkham to Kurtley Beale.

Love the symbolism.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I remember Hunters & Collectors 'Holy Grail' working very well when it was played live at the Bled - does anyone remember if that was actually used in an ad campaign?

Was a bit cut when they used the same song for the ping pong, however.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Hunters and Collector's Holy Grail is the most overused piece of music in relation to sporting finals. I think we should completely stay away from it.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
But it wasnt as bad back then. It couldve been useful to hold onto the rights to it too.

T

Thomas

This NZ ad I thought was pretty good but since they've used it I guess we can't

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Good ad but didn't do them much good. Dunno if it'd work for us trying to project a national image either cos of the concentration of Wallabies in the traditional rugby areas

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Now this is contemporary class, an emblem as to how the game should be advertised to the audiences out there today.

There's as much chance of the ARU and QANTAS/Castrol etc building an ad for 2012 Australian rugby like this as there is to see a Wallaby XV selected upon demonstrable fitness and form.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
It needs to be done better for sure. It's not that hard. I don't understand how they perform so poorly in this area.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It needs to be done better for sure. It's not that hard. I don't understand how they perform so poorly in this area.

I have actually had a bit of a chat with the ARU marketing bloke after my attempt at a rugby commercial achieved a bit of popularity back in the start of 2011. For those who didn't see it, check out the online sensation:

Either way he seemed like he was ont he right page and the ads for 2011 were actually pretty good. Sadly they just don't have the budget to do the sort of things seen in the HK7s ads. One of the many things our code just can't do because of a lack of $$.