• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Go on. Whats your starting 15 from what we know so far?

Kitshoff
Mbonambi
Nyakane
Jenkins/Schickerling (Etzebeth, de Jager & RG Snyman all injured)
Orie (Mostert in Japan)
Kolisi
Jean-Luc du Preez (PSdT still struggling with injury from what I've read)
Vermeulen
Faf de Klerk
Jantjies (Pollard injuried)
Mapimpi
de Allende
Am
Nkosi
Willie le Roux

Bench

Thomas du Toit
Akker van der Merwe
Vincent Kock
Jenkinks/Schickerling
Marcel Coetzee
Dan du Preez (I know one of the du Preez can play a bit of lock, not sure which)
H Jantjies
F. Steyn

Players unavailable through injury, unavailable due to potential French issues or because of no game time and travel issues from Japan

Mostert (Japan)
Etzebeth (Injured & France)
Snyman (Injured)
de Jager (Injured)
Pollard (Injured)
Marx (Japan)
Elstadt (France)
Kolbe (France)
Reinach (France)

Other players who will be there or therabouts

Esterhuizen
Rohan Janse van Rensburg
Arno Botha
Aphelele Fassi
Sithole
Ivan van Zyl
Robert du Preez
Curwin Bosch
Lizo Gqoboka
Marco van Staden
Embrose Papier
Warrick Gelant
Damien Willemse
Trokkie Augustus

Team could be a bit more youtfhful from the outset, for example Willie le Roux may be replaced with Gelant or Fasssi or such, but I think they'll want to keep some experience.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I though a squad of 44 was over the top, but 93! If you were left out you’d feel pretty - ummm - left out.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
The "squad" means nothing here. Only 50 will be chosen for the 2 teams. Gives the coaches some leeway in choice. Would be a much better game after a domestic season, but we're forced into this unfortunately.

Jaguardo

Peter Burge (5)
The Pumas will continue their preparation in Uruguay

In view of the preparation of the 4 Nations South American Rugby Championship, the group of players that had been training at Casa Pumas will be joining the 30 players that are concentrated in Uruguay starting tomorrow and the rest of the week. The date for the departure to Australia has not been defined yet.

With the objective of continuing to intensify the physical, technical and tactical training, these competitions will mean a return to the ring for the Pumas and Argentina XV in this 2020. The delegation will carry out joint activities, complying with the protocols established by the Uruguayan authorities.

Before the departure, players and staff of the National Team will undergo new PCR tests. They will also do the same when they arrive to Uruguayan lands.

"I want to send a great thank you and to emphasize the inexhaustible work of all the authorities of the National Government of Uruguay, of the Uruguayan Rugby Union and of South American Rugby, for showing an excellent predisposition to evaluate this possibility of having Los Pumas preparing their challenges in their country, given the excellent sanitary context that rules there", affirmed Marcelo Rodriguez, president of the Argentinean Rugby Union.

Source: UAR

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Fassi out for fout month
Kitshoff
Mbonambi
Nyakane
Jenkins/Schickerling (Etzebeth, de Jager & RG Snyman all injured)
Orie (Mostert in Japan)
Kolisi
Jean-Luc du Preez (PSdT still struggling with injury from what I've read)
Vermeulen
Faf de Klerk
Jantjies (Pollard injuried)
Mapimpi
de Allende
Am
Nkosi
Willie le Roux

Bench

Thomas du Toit
Akker van der Merwe
Vincent Kock
Jenkinks/Schickerling
Marcel Coetzee
Dan du Preez (I know one of the du Preez can play a bit of lock, not sure which)
H Jantjies
F. Steyn

Players unavailable through injury, unavailable due to potential French issues or because of no game time and travel issues from Japan

Mostert (Japan)
Etzebeth (Injured & France)
Snyman (Injured)
de Jager (Injured)
Pollard (Injured)
Marx (Japan)
Elstadt (France)
Kolbe (France)
Reinach (France)

Other players who will be there or therabouts

Esterhuizen
Rohan Janse van Rensburg
Arno Botha
Aphelele Fassi
Sithole
Ivan van Zyl
Robert du Preez
Curwin Bosch
Lizo Gqoboka
Marco van Staden
Embrose Papier
Warrick Gelant
Damien Willemse
Trokkie Augustus

Team could be a bit more youtfhful from the outset, for example Willie le Roux may be replaced with Gelant or Fasssi or such, but I think they'll want to keep some experience.

JL duP has been playing lock for Sale all season. And very well at that. A tad short but more than physical enough. He could be a bolter.

Fassi out for four months. Damn

Lock forward is a BIG worry. Moerat looks the most promising of the lot but still green. Everything else is a stop gap.

Either way it's going to be entertaining. Hope the coaches take some risks. May as well.

Why are you discounting the French players They will be released in the window, surely?

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Fassi out for fout month

JL duP has been playing lock for Sale all season. And very well at that. A tad short but more than physical enough. He could be a bolter.

Fassi out for four months. Damn

Lock forward is a BIG worry. Moerat looks the most promising of the lot but still green. Everything else is a stop gap.

Either way it's going to be entertaining. Hope the coaches take some risks. May as well.

Why are you discounting the French players They will be released in the window, surely?

Heard on Rugby365 that French clubs are fighting against this release. Don't know how true it is. I think Willie is also in Japan now though so he might not be able to travel either?

I think we will be okay at lock. They may even use Juandre Kruger as a stop-gap.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Round One - Saturday 7 November 2020
Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Argentina v South Africa
Australia v New Zealand

Round Two - Saturday 14 November
Bankwest Stadium, Sydney
New Zealand v Argentina
South Africa v Australia

Round Three - Saturday 21 November
ANZ Stadium, Sydney
New Zealand v South Africa
Australia v Argentina

Round Four – Saturday 28 November
McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle
Argentina v Australia
South Africa v New Zealand

Round Five – Saturday 5 December
Bankwest Stadium, Sydney
Argentina v New Zealand
Australia v South Africa

Round Six – Saturday 12 December
ANZ Stadium, Sydney
South Africa v Argentina
Australia v New Zealand

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Round One - Saturday 7 November 2020

Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

Argentina v South Africa
Australia v New Zealand

Round Two - Saturday 14 November

Bankwest Stadium, Sydney

New Zealand v Argentina
South Africa v Australia

Round Three - Saturday 21 November

ANZ Stadium, Sydney

New Zealand v South Africa
Australia v Argentina

Round Four – Saturday 28 November

McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Argentina v Australia
South Africa v New Zealand

Round Five – Saturday 5 December

Bankwest Stadium, Sydney

Argentina v New Zealand
Australia v South Africa

Round Six – Saturday 12 December

ANZ Stadium, Sydney

South Africa v Argentina
Australia v New Zealand

That's a sick idea. Hopefully the Argies are plague free and the Springboks fit enough to make a show of it. If it's possible I'll try to make a trip for the Aus v Arg / NZ vs SA match

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
NZR CEO Mark Robinson has hit out at the fixture list, suggesting that his union “haven’t agreed to this schedule and are disappointed at the announcement”.

We were working on the understanding and all our planning and scheduling was on the basis that the All Blacks last match would be on December 5 to give our players and management time to get home, undertake the 14 days’ quarantine back in New Zealand, and then be with their families for Christmas, as will be the case for the other three teams in the Tournament.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/nzr-...wClkUS2LtXpy3NZWDZpXatentD7NnShRil-6AoSwfjmpI

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Ahahaha fuck. As if you don't get agreement with the most influential partner before hitting publish. Surely they're not that smoothbrained

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Not sure if that's RA or SANZAAR. I assume SANZAAR set the schedule, but RA are obviously going to have a lot of say in it, given they're hosting.\

Edit: Cully has it that SA and Argentina said no to the short turn arounds required for a 5 week tournament, didn't want to risk them with limited prep time.