• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby in WA from 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
The RugbyWA Board had issued an open letter that has been sent around to all clubs, players and I think Force Members. The link to the letter is https://www.rugbywa.asn.au/news/let...edu.au&l=267_HTML&u=29553366&mid=6387830&jb=2 but I have pasted the full text below cause Open Letter
Highlights include
- Restructured Men's Competition opening Premier rugby to the South East and North
- RugbyAU still chasing money
- Spirit confirmed for 2018 NRC

The only bit that scares me is the "may require certain further steps to protect our position" with regards to RugbyAU chasing money. I have no idea how finances/legal things work but all I can think of is declaring bankruptcy or going into administration - anyone got any other ideas that sound less scary?

Dear Western Australian Rugby Community,
With the removal of the Western Force from Super Rugby we have all endured an extremely difficult and emotional time for our sport. Though the feeling of loss and betrayal still lingers the RugbyWA board assures you that Rugby Union is alive and well in Western Australia and most importantly, we have a plan.

We are deeply committed to maintaining and building depth and strength in our great game from the grassroots level in Under 6’s to our top senior and professional grades.

Our plan begins with ensuring that we do not take another backward step by consolidating what we still have in place today. It culminates with the Western Force running onto the NIB pitch to defeat the Waratahs in the next version of Super Rugby or competing in the Indo Pacific Rugby Championship finals in Perth against Hong Kong. We are fully committed to taking our rightful place back at the table.

A new Strategic Plan will be rolled out in due course. We write to you now to outline the general thinking behind a range of areas that directly affect Rugby in Western Australia including our overarching plan, the current focus of the RugbyWA Board, our high-performance pathways (Future Force), the Indo Pacific Rugby Championship and engagement of Rugby Community Volunteers.

RugbyWA Plan

The overarching plan of RugbyWA is a simple one and we hope that it’s a plan that you will all get behind:
- Put the fight with Rugby Australia behind us either way.
- Shore up the business model to ensure:
o We retain our High-Performance Facility for Pathway and Professional development.
o We maintain and develop the Future Force Academy.
o We retain the support of the Government through what will be rocky financial times.
o We continue to strengthen the bonds we forged through the recent turmoil between Community, Club, Schools and the Professional elements.
o We increase community engagement in developing the future of our Game in WA.
o We build a sustainable financial model
- Super Charge the Perth Spirit to ensure we retain our NRC participation beyond 2018.
- Support the IPRC through our Pathways and our fan engagement.
- Be ready in 2021

RugbyWA Board
The board remains intact, united and committed We are currently engaged with the following matters:
- Resolving claims from Rugby Australia relating to our legal cases.
- Closing out the Own the Force Campaign. All funds are now returned, together with details allowing you to donate to help maintain and grow our game in Western Australia.
- RugbyWA fiscal planning to sustain the RugbyWA facility, all staff and community programs.
- Planning for transition to a new constitution that will reflect our new Strategy.
- Working through the normal planning process leading into the Annual General Meeting which will be scheduled in quarter one of 2018.
- We are engaging with former Western Force sponsors to retain their support for community rugby in WA and the Perth Spirit. This includes planning for our re-entry into professional Rugby in the Future.
- RugbyWA is committed to developing community rugby into a strong, vibrant competition by continuing the engagement with our clubs.
- We are excited to announce that Bob Hunter has taken on the role as our CEO. Bob brings strong community and business planning credentials to our team.
- For the moment Mark Sinderberry remains in an advisory capacity providing continuity and support for Bob and his team.
- Community rugby at senior and junior levels will continue to be managed by our committed staff and will develop strongly in 2018 with the recently announced launch of the new groundbreaking Club competition.
- RugbyWA has a plan and staff to sustain all current functions for competition management, education, school support and development operations.

RugbyWA Finances

The loss of the Western Force not only devastated our Rugby Community, it also placed a significant financial burden on our State Union, RugbyWA. Challenges include but are not limited to;
• A Long- Term Lease commitment for our Headquarters that we currently have no revenue stream to underpin.
• Loans from the State Government that were invested on the basis of our expected long- term participation in Super Rugby.
• Partially unmet legal fees associated with our attempts to save our Team from the axe.
• Ongoing claims from Rugby Australia for reimbursement of their legal fees.
• A State Government and various departments that backed Rugby and now have little to show for their generous support.
• A world class Rugby Academy (Future Force) that is the only one of its kind in Australia now facing a very uncertain future in terms of the program itself and the talented boys and girls we have been developing and feeding into professional Rugby in Australia.

It’s no secret that all Australian Super Rugby franchises have and will continue to struggle with the financial challenges that are embedded in this tournament. The model is broken and the architects are scrambling to cover their tracks and somehow recover. Axing the Force was the next best idea but that will fail to solve the core issues.

Before being axed from the competition the Force had taken some significant strides in looking to change our business model to break free from this spiral. The very promising Own the Force campaign was the first of a number of cornerstone fiscal plans we had planned to put into motion. There were others.

Discussions on the “NEXT” Super Rugby tournament will commence in less than 18 months. A competition of some form will commence in 2021 and there is broad speculation as to what form it will take. For now, we need to Right the Ship and then build our financial strength so that when opportunity knocks to re-enter the “NEXT” phase we are first in line with a healthy balance sheet, a sustainable financial model and a robust pathway program. Programs we are actively considering are;
• Support from the Community at large (Sea of Blue) in the form of modest annual memberships.
• The current individual members of the Future Force Foundation continuing to support the Academy and Pathways.
• Loyal Corporate Sponsors continuing to support our Game and our Teams.
• Grants and Government assistance.
• A longer- term reinstatement of the successful but now abandoned “Own the Force” program.
• Funds flowing back down to Clubs and Grassroots programs.

State of Play – ARU situation

As indicated above, we are engaging in dialogue with the ARU over costs relating to their legal case. The outcome still has a high element of uncertainty though we expect a resolution should be reached within the next two weeks. Please be aware that this may not end positively for either party and may require us to take certain further steps to protect our position. Despite this potential hurdle we can confirm that in parallel with resolving our differences we are also engaged with Rugby Australia in detailed future planning particularly around ensuring rugby in this State is sustained and pathways maintained for all of our aspiring rugby participants.

We recognise that while there is strong community anger at the actions to date, in the end there are strong reasons for RugbyWA remaining engaged and working collaboratively with the national body, particularly around rugby operational systems and the high-performance pathway for all players and coaches.

High-Performance Pathway

We can confirm that the following programs relating to high-performance are intended to remain in place:
- RugbyWA’s high-performance pathway will be retained and will move forward with a firstclass program available to all WA participants, male and female.
- This includes the retention of all Academy and State team programs under the coaching leadership of Steve Anderson and Ben Brugman and with support from Rugby Australia.
- We are planning to expand all levels of the Pathway programs and are working in close cooperation with the Future Force Foundation to grow its capital base to release more funding.
- The future of Perth’s participation in the National Rugby Championship in 2018 is confirmed by Rugby Australia. We are working on high performance plans to ensure we have a successful 2018 Tournament to further secure the future of our team in this National competition.
- For now, the Perth Spirit NRC team will be the pinnacle of our Pathway Program in Western Australia from which players can be selected for Super Rugby, IPRC and Wallabies honours.

Indo Pacific Rugby Championship and Minderoo

This vision announced by Andrew Forrest AO has enormous potential. The facts are clear, rugby union in Asia is gaining in popularity and with 60% of the world’s population in our time zone, interest from major companies and influential people, the business and sports model is compelling.

Though Mr Forrest and his Minderoo Team intend to develop the tournament independently with their own management and operational teams we are pleased to confirm that Bob Hunter is part of the IPRC working group, and Geoff Stooke is on the IPRC Steering Group confirming important RugbyWA input.
IPRC has recently announced the following key elements:
- The Tournament will be held annually from March through June commencing in 2019
- The Tournament will run parallel with current Super Rugby program
- Minderoo are hoping to confirm that Wallabies Pathways will be endorsed by Rugby Australia for the IPRC.
- The program has initial support from World Rugby (formerly IRB)

At present subject to further engagement with the IPRC we see RugbyWA and Community Rugby’s role in supporting the new Tournament to be:
- Providing a Pathway for Future Force/Club/NRC players into IPRC.
- Possible sharing of High Performance Facilities at RugbyWA.
- Providing options for IPRC players to compete for the Perth Spirit in the NRC tournament.
- Engagement with the supporters of Rugby in Western Australia.

Rugby Community Volunteers

The passionate commitment from our ‘Sea of Blue’ and supporters of rugby in WA has been absolutely amazing and sincerely appreciated. The enthusiasm and support from fans that fill the hill, the messages and emails of support and offers to help has been overwhelming and is testament to why the heartbeat of rugby in WA is so loud and strong.

We propose to shortly facilitate a Strategic Planning Session for all volunteers to engage in. The intention of such a session is to align the efforts of our volunteers to support the goals and vision for rugby in WA. We shall send out a separate communication inviting all of those who interested to join us in a workshop. We expect this will take place around late-November, once some of the speed bumps outlined above are negotiated.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this letter, together we can build a strong, highly skilled and sustainable union for our young players to participate in, as well as those “young at heart”. We look forward to working with you to bring the fun and excitement back into our community. May the Force be with you.

Yours in Rugby

The Rugby WA Board.
Tony Howarth Hans Sauer John Edwards Charles Fear Dean Hely David Vaux Trevor Cook Scott Staniforth Mark Folkard

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
The continued flow of information and unity is not surprising and good to see. RU is and always has been very strong in WA.
If the Rebs had of got the chop no one would have heard boo from them.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
"The only bit that scares me is the "may require certain further steps to protect our position" with regards to RugbyAU chasing money. I have no idea how finances/legal things work but all I can think of is declaring bankruptcy or going into administration - anyone got any other ideas that sound less scary?"

Ref your above, the ARU, as much as they are morally corrupt, even they would not try to recoup those losses. The last thing they want is more dirt coming out about how they have paid off debts for Vic Rugby, ACT and recently Qld and yet they are still chasing WA for a smaller amount.
They are just seeing if we will pay up as they are nearly broke and desperate.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Future gazing a tad.

Let me make the following prediction.... """ WA Rugby will grow over the next two years, in player numbers, sponsors, government assistance, media coverage in fact in all facets that we measure..

Rugby in the Eastern states will shrink, in the above.

If I am right, and I think I am, a huge question is who should run rugby in Australia?????

I am still no where near on board with TF's new rugby competition as I have said for me it still goes nowhere near a national domestic competition.

However If the west does rise and the east sink. HHHMMMmmmm will change come???

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Future gazing a tad.

Let me make the following prediction.. """ WA Rugby will grow over the next two years, in player numbers, sponsors, government assistance, media coverage in fact in all facets that we measure..

Rugby in the Eastern states will shrink, in the above.

If I am right, and I think I am, a huge question is who should run rugby in Australia?????

I am still no where near on board with TF's new rugby competition as I have said for me it still goes nowhere near a national domestic competition.

However If the west does rise and the east sink. HHHMMMmmmm will change come???

What makes you think rugby in the west will rise and fall in the east?

Twiggy?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It seems to me that rugby via ARU and Super is in decline. Chopping to greatness is a theorum that unfortunately will be tested in full in 2018. For me, an improvement would literally astonish.

Still, perhaps Clyne is not just ruthless but also a genius. We will know soon enough.

I wish WA most sincerely the absolute best as they tAke their shit sandwich and deal with it. That sentiment has very little to do with the Twig.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
It seems to me that rugby via ARU and Super is in decline. Chopping to greatness is a theorum that unfortunately will be tested in full in 2018. For me, an improvement would literally astonish.

Still, perhaps Clyne is not just ruthless but also a genius. We will know soon enough.

I wish WA most sincerely the absolute best as they tAke their shit sandwich and deal with it. That sentiment has very little to do with the Twig.

Not a genius but certainly persistent, cunning and self serving. In my untrained opinion he comes across as a complete corporate narcissist at best. His problem, and more importantly his lackey's in Robbo and Nobody, is he will be gone well before Twiggy, his Executives and the WA Rugby community have even raised a sweat. He is the only one holding the line with a lot to lose. Everything will change when he is gone.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
God you make it hard to support your cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have had plenty of digs along the way Stoff. And ref my comments I don't think many would think they are wrong. At the end of the day the entire Aust rugby group threw WA under the bus. It is just that Clyne, Clarke and North were intimately involved and they are all closely connected with Vic and the Rebels.

half

Alan Cameron (40)

Twiggy?

I have written you a rather long reply say 8 paragraphs but the site creates one giant paragraph will keep trying but its frustrating

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^^

I spent some time in Perth a little while ago.

The rest of this post is purely my observation and my take on what I heard and saw, meaning its more than likely wrong as I am from a regional town in NSW and my understanding of Perth before I got there was limited.

What I found was rugby folk were not walking away too other codes. The citizens of was Perth feel WA had been duded by the ARU.

Remember all this is my read of things, on a visit to Perth. AFL people seemed annoyed on the money spent and wanted it used for what it was spent for.

Old story the messenger so don’t go bang bang your dead. But always wanted to see what NIB was like so went to the Perth Glory match against the Mariners, cheering on my home town. Anywho I took an old Woodies [Eastwood] cap and scarf to the match which opened up many conversations on the train walking to the ground and in the ticket line.

The Glory fans where right behind the Force and this amazed me, and I asked em why. Their answer for me was off the wall as far as I was concerned but the general feeling is this is such a strong AFL town the other codes need to stick together to stop being swamped by AFL coverage.

The Glory fans said the Force fans generally feel the same way about Perth Glory as well. They share facilities etc.

Finally there seemed to be steel in the rugby folk that this was round one and the ARU may have won the battle but WA would win the war.

This was only at the start of TF.

The above is why I think WA will grow. Why will the East sink hhhhmmmm will not to the bottom, but take on water. I don’t hear that same steel in the east, I see not a united rugby family but a family full of self-doubt over its future direction, I hear voices like myself looking at Super Rugby as a competition and questioning it greatly. Club rugby seems to be pulling away from the parent body.

In summary the mood in the east is not one of confidence, much more hang on and hope it works. Until there is change at ARU board level the confidence will continue to fall.Hope that answers your question

dru

Tim Horan (67)
^^ In among some of the odd things that have been happening in G&GR forum, I cant "like" this post.

Half, it is just refreshing to read this. I am seriously looking at my rugby options next year. I have made so many decisions and then so many times reconsidered. Suspect I might see a Woodies game or two whatever I end up doing.

And sincerely fuck the "ERU". AND it's NSWRU and QRU enablers. WA, it's just not true that you are on your own. I can't help being a Reds supporter, it's congenital. Goes with the eleventh toe, webbed fingers and the straw hat. But I'm with you guys all the way.

signed

An east coast rugby elitist

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^ Dru

A mate of many years who used to coach kids until one day no more kids were showing up all off playing soccer with some actually in one case half a team to play AFL.

He sent an old saying to Pulver, heard nothing back but it summarises how many volunteers feel and they are the life blood of rugby.

He sent this. Its an oldie but still apt.

“We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.”

Reactions: dru

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
You have had plenty of digs along the way Stoff. And ref my comments I don't think many would think they are wrong. At the end of the day the entire Aust rugby group threw WA under the bus. It is just that Clyne, Clarke and North were intimately involved and they are all closely connected with Vic and the Rebels.
So you are trying to say if the Rebels folded no one here would carry on with Rugby and the game would fold? That is pretty ignorant and an insult to Victorian Rugby. Keep in mind WA is the state that continues to state that the game will shrink there without professional pathways. Victoria has always produced Wallabies and always will. This is a state with a proud rugby tradition. Are there things that could be done better here for sure, but don’t make the mistaken of thinking we don’t care.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Glory fans where right behind the Force and this amazed me, and I asked em why. Their answer for me was off the wall as far as I was concerned but the general feeling is this is such a strong AFL town the other codes need to stick together to stop being swamped by AFL coverage.

The Glory fans said the Force fans generally feel the same way about Perth Glory as well. They share facilities etc.

That's cool you picked up on that, there's so much truth in that. The Western Reds also received the same solidarity when they were here, as a matter of fact, lots of union and soccer fans were attendees at the Western Reds matches, some of us were members too.
It boils down to a few unfortunate statements heard from governments past, such as "we must maintain Australian Rules Football's position as the pre-eminent sport in Western Australia" (paraphrasing, of course) And that ties in with the preponderance of ex-AFL players in positions of power in our sports ministries and sports media. The evidence being our fall from grace in a number of sports in which Western Australia were traditionally strong.
Yes, it's true that the headlines of Perth Glory's "hooliganism" after a game against the old Wollongong Wolves really were exaggerated - how do I know? I was at the game. A game where nothing of note happened except for the booing of their then coach, Nick Theodorakopoulos, plus one flattened-out empty plastic Coke bottle that floated through the air during the game, carried away by the gentle gust of that afternoon's Fremantle Doctor. Of course, I came home to turn on the television and see reports of rampant hooliganism, then an expose on soccer's violent history and how detrimental to children it would be to have them involved in the sport, especially when there is a "local and indigenous, healthy alternative" All this, plus a lack of a stadium promised to us since the Perth Kangaroos involvement in the Singapore league in 1994 and the Reds in 1995.
So yeah, there is a certain solidarity between the smaller footballing codes, as a matter of fact, all the other team sports in WA - cricket, hockey and baseball included.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
So you are trying to say if the Rebels folded no one here would carry on with Rugby and the game would fold? That is pretty ignorant and an insult to Victorian Rugby. Keep in mind WA is the state that continues to state that the game will shrink there without professional pathways. Victoria has always produced Wallabies and always will. This is a state with a proud rugby tradition. Are there things that could be done better here for sure, but don’t make the mistaken of thinking we don’t care.

I'm sure they do care, there is just not many. In a State of greater than 6m you have 4500 registered rugby players, that is 4500 who are club members and play each Sat, not who turn up for a rugby experience at school. By comparison WA has >14000 registered rugby players in a State of 2.5m. When the WF started, there were >6000 registered players in Perth, far greater than Melb even now after 7 years in the comp.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Twiggy?

It is absolutely shrinking in the east. Year on year attendance and participation has been decreasing since the 2003 world cup culminating in our extremely well documented current financial struggles. Dunno bout rising in the West though.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
chibimatty

Thanks for the reply, will post something latter about a Sydney experience I had with a small group of hard core rusted on Melbourne based AFL fans, to see if it mirrors Perth.

But to busy today heaps of work on.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Killer respect for a lot of your posts but history is history and the argument is starting to paint us in a bad way. We all know what dirty shit went down and now its time to embrace the change in the IPRC and keep an eye from the sidelines and watch em come asking for help when the shit hits the fan in a few years time. Karma can be a harsh little bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.