• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League bans the shoulder charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Just flicked over to League Unlimted, they're having a melt down over the decision.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The benefits of an Independent Commission in charge of Mungoland.

Dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

This is a great move for both codes. There are plenty of duel coders that will now not be bringing the shoulder charge into our game.

Bravo Mungos. Well played.

Brightside05

Frank Row (1)
Ever since I saw Robbie O'Davis' nose spread across his face from a high shot shoulder charge I've thought they needed to ban it. It's amazing how the leagies will blow up over a swinging arm that hits high on the chest while the point of a shoulder in the face is fine.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
From a healthcare professionals point of view - I'm glad they've banned it. From a players point of view, I miss some of the more primitive aspects of league and Rugby - hooking and rucking anyone?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
From a healthcare professionals point of view - I'm glad they've banned it. From a players point of view, I miss some of the more primitive aspects of league and Rugby - hooking and rucking anyone?
Don't worry the capacity of mungo ballers to improvise primitive behaviour on and off the field is unrivaled: there'll be something dangerous to human life invented any day now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You are right Inside Shoulder. They have introduced the world to Chicken Wings, face scrunches, the Grass Cutter, and who can ever forget "The Dr Hopoate Prostrate Cancer Check".

Wonder what the next manoeuvre will be? A Vulcan Sleeper Grip Tackle.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You are right Inside Shoulder. They have introduced the world to Chicken Wings, face scrunches, the Grass Cutter, and who can ever forget "The Dr Hopoate Prostrate Cancer Check".

Wonder what the next manoeuvre will be? A Vulcan Sleeper Grip Tackle.
I think you'll find his victim was squatting, rather than prostrate at the time. Unless you meant the prostate. :D

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Clearly I'm not a medical man.:)

In my defence, IIRC the Prostate Cancer checks were performed in all positions, Prostrate, Supine, Prone, Squat. Dr Hopoate did them all - no discrimination.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I am always surprised that they don't ban contact with the head. It would be very easy to police in league and would clean up the game dramatically. The issue would be that there wouldn't be as many cheap shots and that is what attracts a lot of supporters.

Good move ARLC. Still doesn't make up for taking 2 games to Sydney next year when there should be 2 in Brisbane.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am always surprised that they don't ban contact with the head. It would be very easy to police in league and would clean up the game dramatically. The issue would be that there wouldn't be as many cheap shots and that is what attracts a lot of supporters.

Good move ARLC. Still doesn't make up for taking 2 games to Sydney next year when there should be 2 in Brisbane.
Why?
That's the one part of his body a mungo baller can live without.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
couldn't believe it when i saw it on the news, a sad day for rugby league and a sad day for all the times i looked forward to see some of the best players in the game either get shouldered or shoulder someone using the infamous 'shoulder charge'

i will say, for the shoulder charge to stay, it should be known that any shoulder charge to the head, to be put on report or even sent off and also teach the youngins how to shoulder charge properly......if they get the chance.

How many dangerous shoulder charges did u see this year gents??

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
couldn't believe it when i saw it on the news, a sad day for rugby league and a sad day for all the times i looked forward to see some of the best players in the game either get shouldered or shoulder someone using the infamous 'shoulder charge'

i will say, for the shoulder charge to stay, it should be known that any shoulder charge to the head, to be put on report or even sent off and also teach the youngins how to shoulder charge properly..if they get the chance.

How many dangerous shoulder charges did u see this year gents??
They're all dangerous. That's the point.
But, frankly, I don't care what the mungoes do.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
They're all dangerous. That's the point.
But, frankly, I don't care what the mungoes do.

I'm pretty sure shoulder charges and fights are the things that make the game so unique, so when being in a modern world it is now dangerous when shoulder charges account for only 1 percent of overall seasonal injuries in the NRL.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
^^^ More to the point, who could actually be bothered to watch mungoball?

[1,2,3,4,5, kick; 1,2,3,4,5, kick; 1,2,3,4, kick; 1,2,3,4,5, kick ..{Yawn} ]

unfortunately, this year especially in the early rounders it ends up being like that. Which is why Rugby Union is my game and will always be! but i love the fights and shoulder charges in RL

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
I'm quite enjoying the argument from league folk that removing the shoulder charge takes away 'the gladiatorial element' of the game that they always talk about. Don't they realise that you've still got a 100+kg meathead running as hard as he can into 2-3 fellow 100+kg meatheads? The only difference now is that they have to use an arm in the tackle.

It's not worth having blokes dangerously knocked out, like Kyle O'Donnell this year - a bloke in his first grade debut, in order to have a few shoulder charges on the highlights reel.

Status
Not open for further replies.