• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That's a lot of moolah for one guy who might be injured. That surely can't all be coming from the salary cap? Third parties?

T

Train Without a Station

Disappointed the ARU didn't kick in anything. I wouldn't be expecting Izzy type money but a little assistance if only for the marketing benefits would have been nice.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think that's the big one: marketing. However Carmichael et al have done a pretty good job of that to date.

I suspect the Izzy boat was the last one to sail for a while until the ARU can put itself well into the black for a couple of years. NRC needs to get into the black as well in order to stabilise the base.

T

Train Without a Station

Surely 100k or 200k would not have been back breaking. It just serves Australian rugby no benefit to have one team struggle because they had to pay the whole wage of a marquee signing that will likely wear gold within a year.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm with you on wanting some support for Hunt but I can see that it has to stop somewhere. If the ARU pitched in then I can see the other provinces wanting similar deals. 200k suddenly turns into a million and the kitty is empty again.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm guessing McKenzie's comments go some way to the reasoning behind there being no ARU top up. They're not confident Hunt will be straight into that top 30 players.

Age is certainly a factor. Whilst he's only 2 and a half years older than Folau, he'll essentially be starting his Australian rugby career four and a half years older than Folau was when he came across.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm confident that Hunt would be one of our top backs.

There's a decent chance of that but there's also likely to be lots of competition next year if people are fit.

JOC (James O'Connor) and Speight add more depth to the outside backs and the return of Cooper will mean we've got three good candidates for the 10 jersey and the bench who won't all fit into the team.

It's a great position for Australian rugby to be in really.

T

TOCC

I have no doubt he has been signed to the Reds to play fullback since that is a glaring weakness in the current Reds back-line.

That been said, based on his skills displayed at the Broncos I think his best position may ultimately be in the centres.

If he makes the Wallaby squad it would be in a utility back type role.

T

Train Without a Station

If the ARU did tip some money in for Hunt after we lost Mowen, Cummins, Douglas etc for financial reasons, we'd be criticising the ARU for giving him a top up.

Be fucked. Turnstiles aren't exactly spinning with people coming to watch Mowen and Douglas. Also they weren't actually offered more money overseas. Offers were comparable.

Also a major factor for Cummins was a short season.

None of these were because the ARU was just a bit short on what they were offering.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm confident that Hunt would be one of our top backs.

i agree totally, with a little proviso. i saw, i think, every minute he played in France and am very confident that that Karmichael Hunt would have Izzie-level impact in rugby. my proviso is thus that the Karmichael Hunt of today is in physical condition that allows him to deliver his best. the boy can play.

i am not concerned about his starting "behind Folau" in age terms as he is starting way ahead of him in experience.

i am hoping that Hunt can be given enough time in the NRC to get into the Wallabies' Spring trip. he is that good.

T

Train Without a Station

Exactly. Izzy came in never having played rugby. In addition, Izzy struggled to adapt to AFL. Hunt has played Australian schoolboys in something like 2003, easily adapted to Top 14 Rugby 7 years later than adapted well to AFL where his biggest constraint has been injuries.

And with regard to the previous comments that Hunt isn't an elite rugby player, he is elite in skill level. Tactically he might take some time but his handling skills will likely be superior to most players here, thus improving that for us.