• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
With the 40/20 in play, and the wingers typically not dropping back until the 4th tackle, it does surprise me that there's not more kicking on the 3rd phase in mungoball.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ generally takes 2 tackles for everyone to get back onside & aligned, tackles 3 & 4 are the ones where you might (but probably won't) see an attempt at something creative.

EDIT: these are the 2 comments so far on the Brisbane Times' review of SOO:

Worst origin I've seen and won't watch the rest. Pre-game entertainment a joke, game riddled with errors like a holden cup game, poor refereeing and the commentary was terrible. So much hype about nothing.
CommenterAndyR Date and time May 27, 2015, 10:26PM

Great that Qld won but what is going on with this game? Penalties for tackles that are non-threatening but just slightly past horizontal, AFL type push and shove, no shoulder charges and why don’t they just remove the use of scrums because they don’t even pack down any more. Since when has a player had a casual chat to a commentator while walking off the field at half time? This is not the game I remember but maybe I’m just showing my age. Another 10 years and we’ll be watching touch football.
CommenterMick Date and time May 27, 2015, 10:37PM

Says it all, really.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I didn't watch the game (can't stand P Gould) but 3.6 million viewers on nine & gem says something too.

@MediaweekAUS: Wed TV #Origin Game 1 *update* Nine/GEM/WIN-NBN 3,620,000 Metro 2,433,000 (inc GEM Per) Regional 1,187,000

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes and no. I wonder what proportion of those 3.6M were like me, sitting there getting more and more annoyed by the fact that I was still watching? Because I know that unless something drastic changes, my days of watching 3 League games per year are seriously numbered.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I watch SoO every year with a few mates. We've been doing it for a long time and it's more about catching up and having a few beers than the actual game.

Being on a Wednesday night is certainly great for the viewership. It's not like it's competing with too much else in terms of people's social lives.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Even with little else to watch on my 4 million Foxtel channels, i couldn't get into the game last night and channel surfed more than watched.

does anyone know how ticket sales are going for the game down here at the "G"? might be very empty !

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
They had to give away tens of thousands of free tickets to last night's game as the ticket sales were so poor.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yes and no. I wonder what proportion of those 3.6M were like me, sitting there getting more and more annoyed by the fact that I was still watching? Because I know that unless something drastic changes, my days of watching 3 League games per year are seriously numbered.
+1
What amazed me last night was that the commentary did not match what I was seeing.
I would see a forward bumble a pass to a flatfooted teammate no different to the under 8's at Narrabeen,whilst the commentary is waxing lyrical about their silky skills.
At the end of the game they are screaming about the pace of the game whilst Fifita is barely out of a walk when taking the ball up.

the game now is a shadow of the good old days when Coyne scored a 80 metre team try on the last play IMO.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Did the commentators claim it was one of the greatest origin games ever, as they do every match?

I'd like to see those Morris twins in the right code..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
+1
What amazed me last night was that the commentary did not match what I was seeing.

Did the commentators claim it was one of the greatest origin games ever, as they do every match?

One thing I found quite interesting last night was how much the narrative was controlled by Channel 9. We probably spent more time talking about that than the actual game.

The crossover between the commentary team and the actual event is very strong with Brad Fittler and Darren Lockyer working for both Channel 9 and their respective SoO sides.

When the game ended, Fittler was straight to Mitchell Pearce talking about how well they did and how it was so close. The narrative seemed very clearly that it should be the same again for the second match.

My friend who is a rugby league die hard commented that often the media follows on with the narrative created by Channel 9 so if the commentators aren't critical of players then neither will the media and vice versa.

I also found it interesting that whilst Phil Gould was very negative about NSW in the second half (and quite rightly so), it was always about the team rather than highlighting the mistakes of specific players (which is what he should be doing).

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Haven't watched League now for about 20 years, including SOO and test matches.
The game has changed in 20 years because of the ease with which the NRL can change their rules.

They decided to get rid of rugby balls, because there was too much of a link to rugby. They've replaced the ball with a frisbee. Later on they got rid of humans. It's now played by dogs.
Here is the highlights package from Wednesday's SOO.

Exciting huh...... And I paid $200 to watch it. Bargain

Muzza

Herbert Moran (7)
Keep an eye on young tom trobovej from manly sea eagles. -
193cms ,97kgs and only 18 years old. He's quick , good ball player , great under the highball and he's only going to get better and bigger !

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Yes - but when it comes to getting more sponsors and updating TV rights contracts all that matters are the numbers - regardless of whether you have it on in the background, are a diehard or hate it... Thats where SOO kills it.