• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Who are League supporters here?

Good morning group, my name is former flanker and I'm a recovering league supporter. I used to follow the great Manly Warringah teams of the late 60's and 70's, and also enjoyed the wonderful skills of Langlands, Raper, Smith, Coote, Lewis et al.
I can't watch the game any more.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Who are League supporters here?

I used to be, and I played the game at under 19s level.

In fact I used to actually go to the game. I lived at Elizabeth Bay for a few years, and used to walk out to the old Sports Ground to watch the Roosters on Sundays, after playing rugby on Saturday.

Good fun in those days. The match of the day on Saturday evening was also good to watch.

Likewise, I cannot watch it these days. Then again, I struggle to stay interested in some rugby matches. If I never see another game like the game between the Force and the Tahs again, that will be too soon. Dire, boring, mistake-riddled, and deeply uninteresting.

At least the loigies know how to handle and kick. Particularly for goal.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Because we're on the topic of Wendell Sailor, I gotta say my favourite league convert ever is Mat Rogers. He was seriously talented and despite numerous injuries had a long, hugely successful career.

His first year at the 'tahs was phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Just because Australia's kicking woes over the weekend got me thinking, I reckon Canberra Raiders centre Jarrod Croker would have made a decent union player had he switched over.

Was flicking the channels yesterday and saw his career kicking percentage was about 81%, in addition to being this seasons leading point scorer (also won the gong in 2012) he's been kicking around 86%.

He doesn't have the speed or vision to play at 10 or 15 but I reckon he would be a handy 12 because his defence is OK and he's a pretty good distributor.

Because we're on the topic of Wendell Sailor, I gotta say my favourite league convert ever is Mat Rogers. He was seriously talented and despite numerous injuries had a long, hugely successful career.
Mine was Andrew Walker seriously seriously good

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Good morning group, my name is former flanker and I'm a recovering league supporter. I used to follow the great Manly Warringah teams of the late 60's and 70's, and also enjoyed the wonderful skills of Langlands, Raper, Smith, Coote, Lewis et al.
I can't watch the game any more.

Is there an NRL forum?

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Is there an NRL forum?

On GAGR? No. But there's a site called League Unlimited which is pretty rabid and out of control. Would advise against it.

I enjoy league. Spent five years living in Redfern and went to any Rabbitohs games there were at the SFS (and a few out at Homebush). Good to see them win it last year.

Don't get the unwavering hate that many on GAGR have for league but each to their own I guess. Still think State Of Origin is my favourite event out of any of the codes but it's probably more a throwback to memories of Roy and HG calling the games. Those were the days.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
There's chat in the Reds 2016 thread that Eto Nabuli could be heading to Ballymore next year.

I don't watch any League to speak of and have never heard of the guy, so I thought this may be a good place to get a few thoughts on who is is, what he offers, and how people think he may go on the wing?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
From what I understand Rugby took over from native games in Georgia, Kazhakstan and Romania.

the AMNRL in america got bought by RugbyLaw Inc but most of the clubs splitoff to form the USARL

Actually, the AMNRL was bought by Grand Prix Entertainment and then promptly killed off. The USARL split off before the sale but the remaining clubs jumped ship not long after.

RugbyLaw has nothing to do with League and from what I've been told have not interest in it.

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Similarly to people saying league used the war to advance its cause (which I doubt it did, but was certainly advantageous during this time to be able to keep playing) Rugby in France during the war, blah, blah, blah.

Yep. Certainly a lot of similarity between RL in Australia continuing its competitions during WW1 and RU in Vichy France colluding with Nazi collaborators to ban RL and expropriate its assets. Peas in a pod, really.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Dave Taylor will probably switch sooner rather than later. Coming to the end of his NRL career but still plenty to offer as an 8 in rugby. Prob in Japan or France though.

Koroibete still worth chasing. Young, huge & a genuine try scorer.

And Wamberal, Nabuli was trumpeted as a hugely exciting prospect "discovered" by Fittler & Johns while carrying their bags at at their hotel about 3-4 years ago. Always looked like a rugby winger trying to play league so see how he goes next year.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ben Teo's contract with Leinster will probably finish about halfway through next season's Super Rugby season. Wonder if any Oz teams will take a punt on him.

I suspect he'll end up back in the NRL but would add a bit to our backline depth if he wound up still in Rugby.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ben Teo's contract with Leinster will probably finish about halfway through next season's Super Rugby season. Wonder if any Oz teams will take a punt on him.

I suspect he'll end up back in the NRL but would add a bit to our backline depth if he wound up still in Rugby.

Is he available for the Wallabies?

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
He would be if he signed for an Oz Super Rugby Club. Hasn't represented anyone in Union. And played league for Oz & Samoa

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm looking for the Maroons presentation 2015:

Where I can get it?

He would be if he signed for an Oz Super Rugby Club. Hasn't represented anyone in Union. And played league for Oz & Samoa

That sounds good. But is it just your imagination or heard rumors?