• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Be real weird being 16 (only recently started jerkin it) and have international coaches knocking on your door.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Daily Telegraph now reporting US Colleges are interested in Sua'ali'i for basketball. Slow news day?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Daily Telegraph now reporting US Colleges are interested in Sua'ali'i for basketball. Slow news day?

Can't imagine that is a viable option. He'd have to go there for no money and then make it to the top 5% in the comp to be considered. Stay here and get paid, close to family and at least two comps want him.

S

Show-n-go

Can't imagine that is a viable option. He'd have to go there for no money and then make it to the top 5% in the comp to be considered. Stay here and get paid, close to family and at least two comps want him.

Arguably not a bad option though, if he is as good as they say

Go over there, get a free education, get superior conditioning in a controlled environment. Come back after, an overall better athlete, with a degree and then start his rugby career.........crazier things have happened

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
From Stuff.co.nz

Sources have told the Sydney Morning Herald that the final year of the revised offer (2023) would be an option in Kalyn Ponga's favour to allow him the flexibility should he decide to have a crack at rugby ahead of the Rugby World Cup.
You can only assume he has the All Blacks, not the Wallabies, in his sights because Ponga has previously spoken about his desire to play for New Zealand.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
From Stuff.co.nz

Sources have told the Sydney Morning Herald that the final year of the revised offer (2023) would be an option in Kalyn Ponga's favour to allow him the flexibility should he decide to have a crack at rugby ahead of the Rugby World Cup.
You can only assume he has the All Blacks, not the Wallabies, in his sights because Ponga has previously spoken about his desire to play for New Zealand.
Dont see how he gets into the ABs unless a bunch of players leave.

Archie

Frank Row (1)
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/64e2a982c2d0e19dccdd6207d9c22f65
The man who unearthed the most sought-after teenager in Australian sport – South Sydney junior Joseph Sua'ali'i – has launched a blistering attack on Rugby Australia and leapt to the defence of breakfast radio king Alan Jones.

Sydney art dealer and Rabbitohs junior Steve Nasteski has labelled RA boss Raelene Castle “delusional” and “desperate” over the Wallabies’ repeated attempts to land the signature of South Sydney’s emerging superstar.

“We’re still very deep in discussions with him.”

In reality, Sua'ali'i is contracted to the Rabbitohs as an NRL development player until October 31 next year and is such an outstanding prospect the 16-year-old is already included in the club’s NRL salary cap.

“Clearly, Raelene Castle is delusional if she thinks Joseph does not have a contract with South Sydney,” Nasteski said.

“He signed his current three-year deal aged 15 and is already included in the NRL salary cap for Souths as a development player.

“The pressure the Wallabies have been putting on this 16-year-old is ridiculous and completely out of control.

“It’s like they think he’s a teenage Maradona back in 1986 for Argentina, who took an average team on the back of his brilliance to win a World Cup.

“This shows how desperate rugby union has become and the failings of the sport to develop its own talent.

“Joseph played rugby league from the age of four and only took up rugby union at 11 or 12 and continued playing rugby union because that’s the only football code they play in the GPS school system.”

Nasteski was loathe to get dragged into the public furore over Sua'ali'i’s signature but was so incensed by Castle’s “wild and inaccurate” claims that the eastern suburbs art dealer wanted to set the record straight.

Nasteski has been a mentor and confidante for the Sua'ali'i family since spotting the Penrith junior playing for Glenmore Park aged 11 and convincing his parents to switch to South Sydney juniors.

“I organised a trial between Glenmore Park and Coogee Wombats, and then Joseph’s parents agreed he could become a South Sydney junior,” he said.

“I quickly told (then Souths coach) Michael Maguire and Shane Richardson ‘I’ve found the kid that’s likely to be better than Greg Inglis in five or six years’ time’.”

Rugby Australia have been attempting to poach the rugby league junior for the past six months after he emerged as a schoolboy star for The Kings School in the GPS rugby competition.

At 196cms and 96kgs, watch his highlights reel and it’s easy to see what all the fuss is about.

New Wallabies coach Dave Rennie personally visited Sua'ali'i to sell the 15-a-side code’s pitch last month, but the attempts will be torpedoed by South Sydney.

The Bunnies have a masterplan in place to table Sua'ali'i the richest contract in the history of Australian sport for a 17-year-old on August 1, the day of his 17th birthday.

While RA boss Castle reportedly admitted rugby would struggle to compete with the money on offer in the NRL, her pitch revolved around the “dream of being an international star”.

“You can be an international star playing at the best rugby grounds in the world,” Castle said.

“You have the support that we’d put around you, so it’s really selling the belief that you can be a Wallaby and play on the world stage, is the dream that we’re looking to sell.”

But Nasteski was happy to tear strips off the struggling code.

“I will never allow Rugby Australia to place such enormous pressure on a 16-year-old boy as the only instrument to save a sinking ship,” Nasteski said.

“There is no better mentor than Wayne Bennett to introduce Joseph into first grade rugby league, and I look forward to him being Bennett’s newest star player in the NRL in the very near future.

“This pre-season just finished, Joseph has trained under Wayne and developed a bond with both the South Sydney coaching staff, the NRL squad and the leadership group at Souths.

“He loved the experience and he will continue to train with the NRL squad during school holidays over the course of 2020.

“He’ll then start a full pre-season at Souths in expectation that he could make his NRL debut in August 2021.

“We are currently in negotiations with Souths about an upgraded contract which has the complete support of his parents, Wayne Bennett, Jason Demetriou, Shane Richardson and Blake Solly.”

Sua'ali'i was such a standout in the Harrold Matthews competition for Souths last season that retired dual international Craig Wing labelled the teenager “a combination between Sonny Bill Williams and Greg Inglis”.

Because The Kings School are currently celebrating their 150th season, Sua'ali'i has agreed to forego playing in the SG Ball rugby league competition until his GPS rugby commitments are complete.

Once they’re done in August, Sua'ali'i is expected to progress straight into the Rabbitohs’ Jersey Flegg under 20s side.

“Rugby Australia need to butt out and let Joseph be a 16-year-old boy. He needs to be allowed to finish his schooling and continue maturing,” Nasteski said.

“Rugby started this bun fight, with the new Wallabies coach going to meet him and leaking it to the press.

“It’s a futile and stupid play. Leave him alone. Judge him when he’s 18 years old and playing for South Sydney.”

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Dont see how he gets into the ABs unless a bunch of players leave.

.... and without playing at least two seasons of Rugby prior. Which would have to mean NRL followed by M10 in 2022 then Super Rugby or equivalent 2023. I'm not sure that's even possible & even if it were he'd surely be physically shattered at the end of it.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Did he advise Joseph to take a rugby scholarship to Kings? Taking this path helped to create a bidding war.
I’m not sure he’s on a scholarship so much as Souths are paying for his fees. Will be interesting to see whether he goes to South to repay them for that (Tepai did when Parra paid for the New fees). I guess he could also just pay them back the money out of whatever deal he gets.