• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League really gives me the shits

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Sorry, I should've elaborated. Queensland. Which is why I added on my caveat as were oft accused of being a little different up here and it would surprise me if we were the only ones.
No worries -- I'm just really interested in that kind of thing; went to grad school for language and literature, and my undergrad university publishes the Dictionary of Regional English. It's very specifically regional in the U.S., and not even everyone in Wisconsin even uses the term.

I have no idea how it got picked up on the other side of the earth, but I'd be interested to find out. Maybe the bubblers were shipped there (the bubblers were from the 19th century), and the term just stuck. But it turned out their "bubbling" design was actually a health hazard -- could spread disease -- so it changed pretty quickly. But the name hung on in some places where it was manufactured.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
But if you're cool with that, you ought to put Carney's photo in your signature here. C'mon, lighten up, life's short! Do it! It's a laugh, right? We'll all link you with the disgusting act of drinking your own piss, but so what? Lighten up and make your personal advertising be a drunk drinking his own piss already. If people are stupid enough to make the causal link between the picture of the drunk drinking a fountain of his own urine and you, that's our problem, not yours.

C'mon, do it!

If I could be bothered, I wouldn't hesitate for one second. I don't base my own worth upon what people on the internet i've never met think of me. And if those people are stupid enough to make a link, you are correct, that is their problem.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
If I could be bothered, I wouldn't hesitate for one second. I don't base my own worth upon what people on the internet i've never met think of me. And if those people are stupid enough to make a link, you are correct, that is their problem.
Money and mouth -- put them together and make it happen! I'll send you a link to the pic if you need it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Here you go then:

Baloney (USA) =
Devon (NSW) =
Fritz (SA) =
Polony (WA) =
Belgium (VIC/TAS) =
Luncheon Meat (UK)

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
I say look on the bright side, if this idiot is picked up by French rugby which is what the rumour is, it is one less young talented Aussie rugby player they can. Lets see how awesome he thinks he is when the temperature is -6 and a 21 stone Georgian is running at him.

He could be full of anti freeze!

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
There's a parallel there to the 'melee' stuff that's bubbled up since the last Origin game. The coMMMentariat and plenty of the public calling in to that coMMMentariat complain about how ridiculous the melee looks, and blame it on the fact that they can't punch anyone anymore. If only the big guys could punch out the little guys, the little guys wouldn't bother to run in and start pushing.

Except they do that when someone gets hit or hurt anyway. So the punch doesn't matter. They just want the biff back.

But beyond that, there doesn't seem to be an awareness that maybe these guys could just control themselves a little better. If they're only a rule away from losing all control and starting a brawl, maybe they're in the wrong sport. There's always boxing or mma or kickboxing; maybe SBW and Paul Gallen could explain what it's like to get hit by a real professional puncher..

EDIT: I'm not saying SBW or Gallen are great punchers. Just that since they've fought some pro fights, they've probably been slugged harder in training than by anyone on a rugby pitch.

If some of the referees had cut out the facials and other stuff at the start would it have developed to a melee?

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
What about the persons privacy here. The person who took the picture and had it uploaded should have some consequences. I don't like the paparazzi stuff and people desires their space.

I would charge the uploader and the picture taker. In some places it is an offence.

Not defending his actions but he is a not a rocket scientist.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
If some of the referees had cut out the facials and other stuff at the start would it have developed to a melee?
Probably not. Good point. Were the facials a big deal when they could still punch each other?

I don't see a problem with using the sin bin more. Seems to work in rugby. Instead of putting these guys on report all the time, take them off the field for five or ten minutes when they give someone a facial, push off someone's head with an elbow, start a shoving match, etc. It won't be long before their coaches get sick of giving up points when they're down a player and start bumping the guys who can't control themselves to the bench, or further down the line.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Probably not. Good point. Were the facials a big deal when they could still punch each other?

I don't see a problem with using the sin bin more. Seems to work in rugby. Instead of putting these guys on report all the time, take them off the field for five or ten minutes when they give someone a facial, push off someone's head with an elbow, start a shoving match, etc. It won't be long before their coaches get sick of giving up points when they're down a player and start bumping the guys who can't control themselves to the bench, or further down the line.

I'm not entirely certain that the problem is in the game or the officiating of same. It's more to do with the target demographic and what they are perceived to, or indeed do want. At some point the masses decided that a big legal tackle was less 'hard' then all of this other cheap rubbish that has crept in. Any attempt to remove any form of violence from the game is seen as a slight to their masculinity and is immediately met with resistance.

T

Train Without a Station

There was never a time when punching was legal. It was just overlooked for a period. Basically State of Origin brawls were all ins, so essentially referees didn't know who to sin bin.

T

Train Without a Station

Also to elaborate on that point, it was from an era of one official and no video assistance, no video review panel, etc. Further to that, players took the risk because the game meant a great deal more to them, and being suspended from a club game over "origin" was well worth it.

For all the shit the players talk today, that passion you could at least respect, no longer exists and they are concerned about being suspended for a club game.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What about the persons privacy here. The person who took the picture and had it uploaded should have some consequences. I don't like the paparazzi stuff and people desires their space.

I would charge the uploader and the picture taker. In some places it is an offence.

Not defending his actions but he is a not a rocket scientist.

It's a key consideration for mine and more of a legal matter than anything to do with Carney's eviction from the Sharks. I honestly don't know what the law states with this kind of action. Is there anything at all?

T

Train Without a Station

Do you have a right to privacy when your behaviour is in a public place?

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Any attempt to remove any form of violence from the game is seen as a slight to their masculinity and is immediately met with resistance.
That's a good way to put it. So is your argument that the game/players are acting up for a perceived demographic? Is there a sense that if they don't take those cheap digs they're afraid the game will be seen as soft and they'll lose viewers? If so, to what? What other sport is on Aussie TV as much as NRL that scratches that violence itch?

In a way it reminds me of Michael Clarke telling Jimmy Anderson "get ready for a broken fucking arm" in the cricket; a lot of Australia -- or at least a good bit of the sports media -- seemed to get a real charge out of that, looked at Clarke differently, like he was finally a man and worthy of being captain, and then got all excited about the game. I'm not there, and just found it weird -- why'd they need the threat of violence to get up for a freakin' Ashes cricket game?

I'm admittedly an outsider, with some family and friends down there, so I don't really know how things work. But especially after the British and Irish Lions tour, I became fascinated with Australian sports culture (especially the media) and the way some of it seems to be just teetering on the edge of an all-in brawl, or encouraging that kind of thing. In a lot of ways it reminds me of American sports culture reflected in a funhouse mirror, just a little distorted out in ways we don't recognize and shrunken in places we might be more expansive. It's a hell of a lot less sanitized than our sports media, and that's fun, but there are times that it also leaves me shaking me head in bemusement. That must be why I started half-following the NRL; when rugby wasn't on, the NRL was there, and it was weeeeird. Their media tip-toes up to the brink of what's unacceptable, and then winks and nods and pulls back a bit, complaining about political correctness. Just recently I heard them talking about the recent betting scandal and the problem of players betting on games, and then they segued to their sportsbet.com.au segment. That's like an emphysema seminar being sponsored by Marlboro.

But this violence culture raises another question for me: Why aren't there more Australian boxing, kickboxing and mma fighters competing at a high, global level? Given the way violence is prized in other sports, you'd think combat sports would be massive down there. But I don't see very many of them competing outside of regional competitions or the occasional UFC event in Australia or Asia. The NRL even imports some of their wrestling coaches, which suggests to me there aren't enough there who can adequately meet the demand. So maybe Aussie spectators are really only into vicarious violence from a distance and aren't so willing to experience violence up close, which means fewer people would shake out of mainstream sports and end up in more fringe combat-oriented sports.

You people fascinate me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's a good way to put it. So is your argument that the game/players are acting up for a perceived demographic? Is there a sense that if they don't take those cheap digs they're afraid the game will be seen as soft and they'll lose viewers? If so, to what? What other sport is on Aussie TV as much as NRL that scratches that violence itch?

I would say on the whole it is the players acting naturally which is supported by fans who view fighting as a normal part of life and just blokes being blokes.

Rugby league has always been scared to use the sin bin (yellow card) and particularly sending someone off (red card) because they have the opinion that it will ruin the game by having too much impact on the result.

They seem to miss the point that actually using the cards gets rid of the foul play they don't want to see. On the whole players don't continue with it at the expense of their teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.