• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League really gives me the shits

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
The most ridiculous thing I've seen in sport in a long time, honestly couldn't believe it as I was watching it.

As a sidenote, that game was so much more enjoyable to watch than an NRL game because it hasn't been bastardised completely (yet) by wrestling tactics. Quicker play the balls actually give teams the chance to spread the ball wide through the hands! And oh my, the outside backs actually have a reason to be on the field other than jumping for cross field bombs!

I'm sure within a few years though, they will catch up with the wrestling and it'll be the same as the NRL.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
The most ridiculous thing I've seen in sport in a long time, honestly couldn't believe it as I was watching it.

As a sidenote, that game was so much more enjoyable to watch than an NRL game because it hasn't been bastardised completely (yet) by wrestling tactics. Quicker play the balls actually give teams the chance to spread the ball wide through the hands! And oh my, the outside backs actually have a reason to be on the field other than jumping for cross field bombs!

I'm sure within a few years though, they will catch up with the wrestling and it'll be the same as the NRL.

I wonder if the wrestle will work its way in or not. St. Helens coach is (was) an Aussie, and they didn't use it so much -- even though the commentators talked about it as if they were covering an NRL game.

But yeah, I agree -- it was a much faster game, and I'd love to see some stats on how many phases they got through compared to the NRL grand final. The forwards were interchanging before the first quarter was done, which speaks to the pace of the game. Still repetitive, but there were more surprises than I'm used to from league.

Save for Ben Flower's brain fade, it was one of the better league games I've seen this year, northern or southern hemisphere. (Haven't seen the Wigan-Wolves game yet, but that was supposed to be good, too.)

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Gotta agree with the sentiments, I find the Super League at least watchable. The NRL is just too predictable, and only really seems to be useful as pub background noise, fashion in Penrith and St Mary's, and to keep the poker machine industry ticking over.

And that punch-on was straight out of the UFC playbook - ground and pound.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
This year:
two guys bashed an elderly man on a train.
Three men held a siege at a brothel keeping hostages for several hours
Today a man was arrested for using his 5 year old nephew to deal heroin.

These events had one thing in common. When arrested they all were wearing NRL supporter jerseys.

Rugby needs to lift its merchandising.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/25271582/liverpool-brothel-siege-hostages-freed-three-men-charged/

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-lo...ion-to-nrl-train-bashing-20140930-10o539.html

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...e-to-sell-heroin/story-fni0cx4q-1227170015349

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ as the dickhead's lawyer will no doubt submit, even Rusty wears them so they're pretty much de riguer in whatever part of Souf Sydney he's from.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I love women's 7s, but I just watched women's RL 9s. Aust vs NZ. It was possibly the worst game of football I have ever watched.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I love women's 7s, but I just watched women's RL 9s. Aust vs NZ. It was possibly the worst game of football I have ever watched.
To me, 9s feels like the best way to experience league. There's less of the repetitive one-pass-and-bash, and you get to see a bit more skill on show. But it doesn't really feel any less congested than when there's eight more players on the field, and there's always the tackle issue (greco-roman rugby). And as a union fan, I still can't get over the lack of contest for the ball; it just seems like taking turns, like a scrimmage, not a competition.

Yeah, that women's game wasn't the greatest. I wonder who turned down playing 7s and the Olympics in order to compete in that Auckland competition -- they said that in the build-up, which seems like a stretch of the facts.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Auckland Nines Tackling: Just watched a Brisbane player try to tackle a Cronulla player by grabbing him, jumping up on top of him, spinning upside-down and hanging off him, and then falling off him and landing on his own neck. The Sharks then scored.

Maybe the NRL can bring Pete Carroll down for a tackling clinic.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
A bit off topic but....
met a former Wallaby named Jack Thompson yesterday (player for Eastwood from 1947-53) who defected to league (with Wests) in the 50s. He stated that to this day many people in rugby still will not have anything to do with him, including guys he went to school with and the Eastwood club where he holds some records and helped them to make the finals for the first time in their history. The reason he gave for his defection (the money wasn't really big in those days so was a minimal contributing factor) was that he was from a state school and in those days GPS old boys ran the game. There was a tour to South Africa in 1953 where everyone had him down as the no.1 winger in the country at the time, he stated that usually the selectors took 4 centres and 4 wingers but this time they decided on 6 centres and 2 wingers. He was not one of the two wingers selected, despite being in every scribes team to go (he still has the clippings). It was this disappointment that saw him go to league. Interesting chat, he played against the great St. George team who won 11 premierships (though he still believes to this day that Wests were robbed in 1958). He played with and against some of the greats of both codes, most notable from rugby Col Windon and Sir Nicholas Shehadie. Very interesting conversation and a decent bloke, he showed me a couple of his old Waratah blazers. I had to laugh when he asked me if the GPS old boys still ran rugby - I pointed out that after a world-wide search for a new CEO they appointed the chairman's best mate from school who happened to live in the same suburb.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Wasn't Jack Thompson a jockey? Just goes to show what those mungoes get up to to lead a good rugby boy astray.....

Where'd you meet him, AD?

Status
Not open for further replies.