• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League "World" Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

formeropenside

Moses said:
Probably some merit in having a NSW and QLD team in the comp, though you'd then struggle to call it a world cup

Its just a glorified tri-nations, really.

Still, thats two more nations than play AFL.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
fos - having seen the Kangas demolish the Kiwis (or at least the 60 minutes that was worth watching), and then the Poms get bashed up by the Kumuls, I must conclude that there is only one nation that play rugby league. Or at least only one capable of winning the event. Still, early days...

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
NTA said:
fos - having seen the Kangas demolish the Kiwis (or at least the 60 minutes that was worth watching), and then the Poms get bashed up by the Kumuls, I must conclude that there is only one nation that play rugby league. Or at least only one capable of winning the event. Still, early days...

think your right, unless Mr Bennett can perform a miracle...

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
One of the benefits of being in exile is that you can easily escape all the Mungo hype. So in watching the highlights of the Roos vs Kiwis I was sitting there thinking who's putting their hand up for poaching. After all, inside every mungo is a union player deep down underneath some very poor choices.

Some big athletic boys there like Inglis, but I'm assuming they'd never make the forward transition over to Union.

With that in mind I though Thurston looked pretty good. Good organiser, nice step and pass. Thoughts?

Anyone else look like they could switch?

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Excuse my ignorance but was staying in a hotel yesterday and flicked the TV on to see a game between NZM and IND. It took a few minutes to click that this was an aboriginal team verse the Maoris. I know that the Kangaroos and Kiwis have teams so which countries do these two teams represent? Or is it just an excuse to get more NRL players playing in the RLWC?

M

Mad Mozzie

Something to do with the centenary of league..... also the Kooris and Maoris first clashed in 1909 (Appears last clashed as well)"
After the match, Campbell was presented with a replica of the OT Cordial Punch trophy that Maori and Aboriginal teams last contested in 1909.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Not one channel here was showing the Boofball WC. Not one.

The International Rules, however, was on RTE, and was a fucking cracker of a game. Genuinely; enjoyed watching it immensely and thought, not for the first time, that the AFL and GAA should push it together in places like London to get the joint diaspora playing and get players for their own games from each other there (as opposed to you thieving fuckers nicking the ? hAilp?ns :angryfire:).

But as a result, it's fair to say that in terms of coverage, the AFL has a more credible international game than boofball.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yes Oirish but the AFL treat that series like a curiosity - they get a crowd out to see it but the AFL would never back the hybrid game as, like the mungoballers, they're too self-interested in their own little patch of grass.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Gagger said:
One of the benefits of being in exile is that you can easily escape all the Mungo hype. So in watching the highlights of the Roos vs Kiwis I was sitting there thinking who's putting their hand up for poaching. After all, inside every mungo is a union player deep down underneath some very poor choices.

Some big athletic boys there like Inglis, but I'm assuming they'd never make the forward transition over to Union.

With that in mind I though Thurston looked pretty good. Good organiser, nice step and pass. Thoughts?

Anyone else look like they could switch?
Have to say that I have always thought that Anthony Tupou would make a good union centre.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Watched the highlights of the Fij v France match (Fiji smashed them) and there was a young Fijian winger who looked outstanding. Plays Toyota Cup for Newcastle I understand. Apparently Andrew Johns rates him as the best rugby league athlete he has ever seen. Rugby should look at him.

Akuila Uate is his name.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah I saw the highlights on WWOS this morning and thought it looked just like the Fijian Rugby Players taking on some provincial side at 7s, but with a few bigger lads standing around. Anyone get the feeling that those not playing in an Aussie setup somewhere play rugby on the weekends? :)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The 2012 format has been announced. The officials have recognised their efforts in reworking the pools approach to avoid thrashings hasn't quite worked, so:

Pool A:

Queensland
New South Wales

Pool B

New Zealand
England

Pool C

Tonga
Samoa
Fiji

Pool D

PNG
NZL Maori
Australian Aboriginals

Pool A play each other 3 times, after which a best combined team is selected.

Pool B teams play each other 3 times. Pool C teams play each other once. The loser of Pool B plays the winner of Pool C. Pool D play each other 3 times each as curtain raisers to the other games.

The Pool A composite team is named World Champion.

The Pool B winner gets the prize of not having to play Australia.

The Pool C winners gets to play the loser of Pool C

And Pool D is simply the sentimental group for everyone to watch with hope, knowing that none of the teams actually are good enough to be at such an event.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And so said the Prophet Noddy as this farce of a "World" Cup screams inevitably toward a Kangaroos victory.

Does anyone else wish, just a little bit, that the Kiwis could win next weekend just to make the damn thing look anything like a contest?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NTA said:
And so said the Prophet Noddy as this farce of a "World" Cup screams inevitably toward a Kangaroos victory.

Does anyone else wish, just a little bit, that the Kiwis could win next weekend just to make the damn thing look anything like a contest?

nah, the best team of the tournament still should win

F

formeropenside

NTA said:

I'd have preferred if Fiji could have upset Australia, and then go on to win the thing. And then mass defect to Union.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
Noddy said:
NTA said:

nah, the best team of the tournament still should win

thats what he said, the kiwis :huxley
At least this weekend the biggest farce in international sport will be over with for another 4-8 years.

R

rugbywhisperer

And I can't stop laughing at how well the Kiwi's outplayed the Aussies.
The great powerhouse of league beaten by the third seed - and beaten in every respect.
Well done Kiwi's.

D

Donsteppa

Bizaare. I thought we had more chance of winning the cricket tomorrow! :eek: :thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.