• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As a student of rugby trivia, I have been following the "longest unbeaten run" discussion with interest for some time. Everyone used to focus on the glamourous NZRT and their run that JO'C ended with a 7 pointer in Hong Kong.

At that time Lithuania was also tied in "first place" in the unbeaten run stakes. Since then, Cyprus has passed both these and the Mouflons bandwagon rolls on.

Impressive that like Ireland, the Cyprus Rugby team includes players from both sides of a long standing ongoing conflict.

This contribution from a post in response to a Mike Cleary article in the Daily Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...-they-no-longer-carry-the-swagger-of-old.html

Have all of the Cyprus team's wins occurred in 'the professional era?' Yes.
Have all of the Cyprus team's wins been in recognised international test matches? Yes.
Have there been 23 of them in a row? Yes.
Do the Mouflons hold the world record for the number of test matches played and won? Yes.

The Mouflons have won promotion to ENC 2B for the next season. From a standing start, they are now ranked 40th in the world. They were denied entry to the qualification stages of the 2025 RWC on a technicality - having beaten, (twice,) the teams from they division that did qualify. The same technicality, (not enough clubs in the domestic league,) was waived for Greece and, wait for it, Saudi Arabia... Go figure.
Full declaration,the Mouflons success has been achieved thanks to the enthusiasm of a number of South Africans of Cypriot ancestry now living in Cyprus. The current side, however, is the only Cypriot national team that includes both Greek and Turkish Cypriots - one brave young man from the Turkish occupied zone. Spirit of rugby anyone...?
Does any of this detract from New Zealand's achievements on the world stage? Of course not, but the fact remains that New Zealand are not 'within touching distance of the world record'

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Some highlights from Kenya's match against Western Province last weekend. WP won 32-28 in Kenya's final game before this year's African RWC qualifiying event in Madagascar (they will play a round robin against Namibia, Madagascar and Zimbabwe).

Not a bad result against a professional outfit. Apparently Kenya used completely different teams in the 1st and 2nd half in an effort to figure out their best squad for the series in Madagascar. They have their 7's stars on board too so that should boost them.

Namibia play the same Western Province team this weekend so that will give a reasonable gauge to how the two compare.

I'd love to see Kenya make it. Their fans are awesome and I think they'd be everyone's 2nd favourite team if they were to make it to England. The scores against them might be pretty big but by the looks of things they might score a few entertaining tries.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Namibia beat the young Western Province team 30-28, so very similar score. Indicates the battle for the African qualification spot will be close, at least between Kenya and Namibia. From what I've read Zimbabwe and especially Madagascar are likely to be a little weaker, but time will tell.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Kenya just beat Namibia 29-22 in the first round of the African Rugby World Cup qualifying tournament!

Enormous result! Namibia were up 12-0 early on and are currently ranked 11 places above Kenya in the rankings (that will obviously change now). Kenya looked very good with ball in hand and has a good rolling maul. Their major weakness is their scrum, which was going backwards.

Zimbabwe now play Madagascar in the other match of the first round.

Kenya will be annoyed they didn't kick at least one of two penalty goal attempts with a few minutes left (one was very easy). They did score 4 tries so get a bonus point, but Namibia will also get a bonus point for the 7 point loss.

Could be a factor when it comes down to who qualifies.

But Kenya have their own destiny in their hands. If they beat Zimbabwe and Madagascar they will qualify for their first ever world cup.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
How's Madagascar looking these days?

I remember when the IRB did their coverage of some of their games from right after the last RWC (I think? - time flies) and they played like a tiny Super Rugby team - very fun to watch.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
How's Madagascar looking these days?

I remember when the IRB did their coverage of some of their games from right after the last RWC (I think? - time flies) and they played like a tiny Super Rugby team - very fun to watch.

You can watch for yourself.

Their match with Zimbabwe starts in 5 minutes and is being streamed live.

http://www.irb.com/live/video.html

I think they're probably a class below the other 3 teams, given the others all have some professional and semi-pro players, but Madagascar are at home and they'll have 35,000 people cheering them on.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Isn't it the main sport in Madagasgar?

Here's a decent article on the game there:

http://www.espn.co.uk/2015-rugby-world-cup/rugby/story/211251.html

According to the above:

"There are 160 clubs in Antananarivo alone and the top sides get regular crowds of more than 8,000 people with extensive local and national television coverage ensuring the matches are well publicised."

(from what I've read elsewhere, the game is a lot less popular outside of Antananarivo, the capital city. But if it's not the main sport, it's certainly quite popular)

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is fantastic! Anyone else watching?

Zimbabwe were out to a 22-0 lead early but Madagascar scored 2 quick (brilliant) tries to come back. They then kicked a penalty goal before half time so it's 22-15 at the break. Madagascar will have the wind behind them in the 2nd half.

Madagascar, aside from 1 huge prop are so much smaller than Zimbabwe and were just getting bashed physically. But their elusive running and offloading game when they have the ball is really top notch. Better than a lot of top tier teams. If you gave them the Romanian tight 5 and someone like John Muggleton to sort out their defense, they'd be a gun team!

I'd loved to see them play a match against Japan (well maybe Japan before they sorted out their scrum to make it fair). It would be like rugby on fast forward.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's awesome.

I love watching IRB streams, between the U20 cup, the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup), the Fiji Qualifier and now the African Qualifiers, its really good to get some more rugby at international level.

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
This is fantastic! Anyone else watching?

Zimbabwe were out to a 22-0 lead early but Madagascar scored 2 quick (brilliant) tries to come back. They then kicked a penalty goal before half time so it's 22-15 at the break. Madagascar will have the wind behind them in the 2nd half.

Madagascar, aside from 1 huge prop are so much smaller than Zimbabwe and were just getting bashed physically. But their elusive running and offloading game when they have the ball is really top notch. Better than a lot of top tier teams. If you gave them the Romanian tight 5 and someone like John Muggleton to sort out their defense, they'd be a gun team!

I'd loved to see them play a match against Japan (well maybe Japan before they sorted out their scrum to make it fair). It would be like rugby on fast forward.

Brilliant stuff. I was covering my eyes trying to watch the Force stop the Blues when I switched to the running game in Madagascar. Zimbabwe boys are too big, but the flow of the game has been fantastic.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Does anybody know if Denford Mutamangira is in the Zimbabwean squad?

EDIT: Never Mind, the Ayr prop is in there, as is Gala Winger Gerald Sibanda.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well Zimbabwe's power was far too much in the end 57-22 the final score.

But Madagascar were great to watch. Probably should have scored another couple of tries to make the score a little closer. They made a tonne of linebreaks and must have broken a test rugby record for number of offloads in a match divided by time with the ball!

I think Kenya will beat them by a few on Wednesday as well but that will be an 80 minute highlights package. I really do hope Kenya win the tournament. They'd be so popular at the world cup and it'd be nice to see a new team make it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not sure if anyone's reported it aleady but Kenya overcame Namibia in the game before. The game between them and Zimbabwe will likely be key to who qualifies for the RWC.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Getting slightly off-topic but Fiji have qualified for RWC 2015, beating Cook Islands 108-6 in Suva yesterday. CI actually led 6-5 at one point before the floodgates opened, Fiji 17 tries incl 4 in 13 mins immediately before HT. Fiji will be in same RWC group as Australia, England & Wales.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Getting slightly off-topic but Fiji have qualified for RWC 2015, beating Cook Islands 108-6 in Suva yesterday. CI actually led 6-5 at one point before the floodgates opened, Fiji 17 tries incl 4 in 13 mins immediately before HT. Fiji will be in same RWC group as Australia, England & Wales.

If the 2015 Fijian side plays more like the 2007 team than the one that played in 2011 then the pool of death will be even deadlier.

The poor repechage winner! Everyone's going to be trying to belt them more than normal to improve their for and against.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Backing in Uruguay for the repechege. Russia's been poor, Hong Kong is Hong Kong, and I'd not confident of a travelling Kenya, Namibia or Zimbabwe.

T

tranquility

God it would be good to get a second side from South / Central America !