• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Backing in Uruguay for the repechege. Russia's been poor, Hong Kong is Hong Kong, and I'd not confident of a travelling Kenya, Namibia or Zimbabwe.

I tend to agree. But I think Hong Kong and whoever comes 2nd in Africa will be more competitive than Kazakhstan and Tunisia were last time.

It's strange that Russia have seemingly fallen away so much. I thought they'd improve a lot after the 2011 World Cup, but they've gone backwards. They qualified directly for 2011 and Romania had to go through repechage. When the two teams played this year Romania won by 30! And in Russia too.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Namibia claim the win over Zimbabwe, 24-20, with Zimbabwe claiming an important bonus point, but no such luck for the Namibians.

Not staying up for the next one, but would back in the Kenyans for a bonus point win against Madagascar. Which would leave Kenya on ten points, Namibia and Zimbabwe on 6 each, and Madagascar out of contention.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Namibia claim the win over Zimbabwe, 24-20, with Zimbabwe claiming an important bonus point, but no such luck for the Namibians.

Not staying up for the next one, but would back in the Kenyans for a bonus point win against Madagascar. Which would leave Kenya on ten points, Namibia and Zimbabwe on 6 each, and Madagascar out of contention.

Namibia are on 5 points. They got a losing bonus point in the first match against Kenya but no others.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Namibia are on 5 points. They got a losing bonus point in the first match against Kenya but no others.
Woops that's right. Put 5 down for starters then changed it without valid reasoning.

So Namibia need a Madagascar win, with no points to Kenya, then a Kenya victory over Zimbabwe sans Bonus Point, plus their own BP win against Madagascar.

Yep...

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Woops that's right. Put 5 down for starters then changed it without valid reasoning.

So Namibia need a Madagascar win, with no points to Kenya, then a Kenya victory over Zimbabwe sans Bonus Point, plus their own BP win against Madagascar.

Yep.

Kenya are already 3 tries up and are pushing the Madagascan forwards back for fun. Hard to see anything but a bonus point win.

Namibia could still go through if Kenya, Zimbabwe and themselves all end up on 10 points, which means it would come down to for and against (I believe if 2 teams are tied it goes on head to head).

Zimbabwe and Kenya play first on Saturday. If Zimbabwe wins and neither team picks up any bonus points then they'd both be on 10 and Namibia would know by what score they have to beat Madagascar.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Final score: Kenya 34 Madagascar 0
(Kenya were winning 27-0 at half time and just went right off the boil in the 2nd half. Could cost them if they all end up on 10 and it comes down to points difference.)

Leaves the table at:

Kenya 10 (+41)
Zimbabwe 6 (+31)
Namibia 5 (-3)
Madagascar 0 (-69)

Kenya in the box seat, but still possible for Zimbabwe and Namibia to go through. In Kenya's favour is they rested most of their first choice team (11 in total) against Madagascar so they'll be fresh for the final game against Zimbabwe. On the other hand Zimbabwe played their best team today against Namibia and there's only a 3 day turnaround.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Zimbabwe claim the win in a thriller over Kenya, 27-10, my main man Denford Mutamangira having a great tournement.

Leaves them in 1st place, with a PD of +48, meaning Namibia need to beat Madagascar by 52 to qualify in 1st, but only by 28 to claim the Repechage place over Kenya.

Come on Madagascar!

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Zimbabwe, with 5 minutes to go and up by 14 had a penalty. They went for goal when a 4th try would have given them automatic qualification. They did it to ensure Kenya couldn't score and lose by 7 (which would have taken them through), but surely you have to back yourself more than that if you're Zimbabwe! I think Namibia will beat Madagascar by the required margin.

I'm disappointed for Kenya, would have loved to see them go through. But their work at the set piece (particularly the lineout) was terrible. And in general play their game plan was too conservative. They were kicking the ball away a lot and playing too tight when their biggest weapons were their outside backs. But they still had 2 or 3 good chances to score tries that they didn't take.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
27 minutes in and Namibia are up 35-0.

Little doubt they're going to qualify again now. Nothing against Namibia, but it would have been nice to see a different African qualifier.

Edit: 63-0 at half time. No doubt now.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Zimbabwe would be Really regretting the decision to kick for goal. Thought they only had two, so I understood it at the time, but damn, looks like its gonna hurt.

Namibia's to lose, Zimbabwe to travel to Moscow for a cold Qualifier.

EDIT: Try Number 6, kick to come. Poor Zimbabwe.

EDIT2: Try, 7, think the Namibian 8 has a hat trick. Gorn.

EDIT3: Try Number 8, 56-0, not gonna bother with the rest, result is moot.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Final score 89-10 to Namibia.

Repechage will be Russia vs Zimbabwe and Uruguay vs Hong Kong. Winners playoff for the final RWC place home and away.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Zimbabwe & HK won't be at RWC 2015:

"Just two teams - Russia and Uruguay - remain in the hunt for the final place at next year's Rugby World Cup after Saturday's repechage semi-finals.

"The Bears managed to overcome a spirited Zimbabwe team 23-15 in the Siberian city of in Krasnoyarsk while Uruguay proved too strong for Hong Kong, eventually running out 28-3 winners.

"The duo will now face off in a two-leg repechage final for the right to join hosts England, Australia, Wales and Fiji in Pool A at RWC 2015. The dates for those games will be confirmed in due course.

"By its conclusion, 3000 players from 83 teams across six continents will have taken part in a record-breaking Rugby World Cup 2015 qualification process featuring 203 matches."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16016_9404961,00.html

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Don't know if this is the appropriate place for this, but the WRWC is seriously high quality stuff. Watching Australia play Wales right now, good game.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Don't know if this is the appropriate place for this, but the WRWC is seriously high quality stuff. Watching Australia play Wales right now, good game.

Ireland v NZ was an amazing game. First time the two sides have met and Ireland came through 17-14. Ireland's women would be some team with a bit more backing from the IRFU.