• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Ireland v NZ was an amazing game. First time the two sides have met and Ireland came through 17-14. Ireland's women would be some team with a bit more backing from the IRFU.

To put that into context the last time NZ lost a womens rugby game (1991) Ireland didn't even have a womens rugby team

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
In France almost 1.5 million people watched the French women defeat South Africa 55-3 on TV.

That is mental. That's the equivalent of over 500,000 viewers in Australia. The Super Rugby final got less!

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
To put that into context the last time NZ lost a womens rugby game (1991) Ireland didn't even have a womens rugby team

Seems the All Blacks twitter account wasn't too happy with the result.

BuSyqRJIUAA6f7X.jpg:large

Tweet was quickly deleted after they were called out on it.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
In France almost 1.5 million people watched the French women defeat South Africa 55-3 on TV.

That is mental. That's the equivalent of over 500,000 viewers in Australia. The Super Rugby final got less!

The women's game has made great strides forward in recent years and is of a quality that makes great viewing. Doesn't matter what gender they are when the games are so good.

Hopefully it will serve as a reminder to those who promote the game that not only is the women's side of the sport a great area for growth on it's own but women supporters are a largely untapped demographic in terms of fans for the wider game.

Makes more sense to me to spend time and money trying to attract more female rugby fans than trying to convert male fans of other sports.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Makes more sense to me to spend time and money trying to attract more female rugby fans than trying to convert male fans of other sports.

Agreed. I think the Olympics inclusion is of even greater significance in the women's game than the men's. It will encourage talented female athletes to play rugby when they would have never considered it in the past. Women's rugby is a huge opportunity for the ARU. Unlike in the men's, Rugby League and AFL can't compete.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
To be fair if theres anything the ARU and NSWRU are doing well here its the Women's game. Love the sevens at half time at the tahs games.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
By the way, am I the only one who's disappointed with the coverage of the WRWC on G&GR?

I would have loved to see a guide to the teams, when games were on TV (or where to find a stream) along with the little extras you get from people who are very knowledgeable and passionate about the game they love.

I'm guessing there are plenty of women's rugby fans who'd love the platform provided by G&GR to showcase a fast improving and growing part of our game. Just imagine G&GR could have the equivalent of Lee Grant for the women's game and completely corner the market.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Guys we are a community where everyone can contribute. Yes the WWC snuck up on us. We have been busy with the Super Rugby final setting up our NRC coverage and getting ready for the Rugby Championship. But none of that stopped anyone from reminding us or offering to help out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
By the way, am I the only one who's disappointed with the coverage of the WRWC on G&GR.

You do realise we are all amateurs? We all have other jobs and try to fit this in amongst those commitments as well as countless.

Feel free to stick your own hand up and write a preview or review next time instead of complaining about it.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
You do realise we are all amateurs? We all have other jobs and try to fit this in amongst those commitments as well as countless.

Feel free to stick your own hand up and write a preview or review next time instead of complaining about it.

Fair enough. I've contributed what I can to the women's RWC thread in terms of what's coming in the next round of games.

I'd still love to read something from an actual aficionado on the Women's game, especially from an Oz perspective. Apart from watching and enjoying the games my knowledge is sadly lacking and I'd love to learn more about the Women's game from what I view as the world's premier rugby website.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
My teams season here in Germany kicks off this weekend with a preseason Rugby Comp over two days. We are light on from our usual team with some guys not being able to make it so some of the forwards have to play backs . Will be interesting.

On another note - there was a an announcement by the DRV (German Rugby Union - equivalent to ARU) that has restricted some teams from playing in the top bundalisga for not having the correct coaching licence. THe DRV have licences from A (top) to C .. So C is like the ARU level 1 (but a bit more hours) and A is like the ARU 3. ... problem is , some coaches who are very experienced , still have IRB/ARU Level 2's and 3's are still being knocked back due to bureaucracy . The other restriction is , they hardly run the courses. To get a C licence you must have 120 hours of classroom time , of only 40 hours is made up of rugby content , the rest general sporting coaching training. Im currently in a to'ing and fro'ing of trying to find out of my exisiting qualifications will be accepted as "recognition of prior learning" so I can be given a C licence without having to do it. , Ive already completed 20 hours of the B Licence and ill have another 20 hours (total needed is 40) in a couple of weeks.

The sucky part is - I was told when I first came here that I wouldn't be eligible to coach a Bundesliga 1 level team here (thankfully my team I coach is a new team in the lowest league so it doesnt apply to me *yet* ) - even though Ive coached other levels around the world that are as good if not better than Bundesliga one - simply because I don't have their local A licence. it really is just red tape and bureaucracy that is holding some good and experienced people back here - including one of the traditional Bundesliga Clubs being told they can't play the top level - their coach is a foreigner with aroudn 20 years coaching experience but because he only has a B licence (hes been living here 3 years) , they are not allowed. The Rugby Community has been up in arms on various online discussions about it and I don't blame them.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Wow. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

I know the Krauts love to tick boxes but that is ridiculous!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Mrs Doug returned from her hairdresser today, with the news that a staff member had a sister in the Australian Women's Youth Rugby Sevens squad that left for Nanjing, China today to compete in the Youth Olympics! I didn't even know this event was about to happen.
Today, Chef de Mission, Olympian Susie O'Neill, announced that the flag-bearer at the opening ceremony would be Women's Rugby Sevens co-captain, Tiana Penitani, an 18 year old from Matraville, (a member of Maroubra women's sevens rugby club). Tiana will lead the 89-strong team into the stadium on Saturday.

There may be a thread already established for the Women's Youth Olympic Rugby Sevens competition, so apologies if this is "old news"!

Channel 7 will broadcast highlights of the games on 7-mate (chn. 73), from August 17.

Good luck girls!!!

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Tiana Penitani has been one the featured fans on Fox's Tuesday night's programme "Call of the Wallaby" who have formed the "Gold Brigade". Look forward to seeing them strewn with gold & full of gusto at the first Bledisloe Test on Saturday night.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Tahspark, Tiana has a pretty good excuse for not being at the BC match on Saturday night, given her role in the Youth Olympics opening ceremony!!
The "Gold Brigade" will no doubt be in good voice without her!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Mr Jarse, I'm concerned that you haven't picked up on the Women's Youth Sevens Olympic campaign. Perhaps you may have a dose of the flu, and you're not performing at 100%?! If that is the case, I hope you will be fit enough to get to the match on Saturday.