• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Leading on from that story about rugby in Sri Lanka, I went there on holiday in June and the number of rugby pitches you see especially in Colombo is astounding. Whilst I was there a high school final was being played and there must have been over 10,000 people in the stadium watching, the domestic 7s comp is constantly advertised on t.v., rugby is getting pretty big over there.

I think rugby has been popular in Sri Lanka for ages.

Maybe one day a Sri Lankan team will be part of an Asian Super Rugby conference.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...n-fell-21-from-2008-13-rugby-lacrosse-up.html

Participation in tackle football fell 21.1 percent from 2008-2013, while rugby and lacrosse experienced the biggest gains, according to the Sports & Fitness Industry Association.

Participation in rugby grew 81 percent during that time, while lacrosse saw a 65.9 percent boost, according to the Silver Spring, Maryland-based organization’s U.S. Trends in Team Sports Report. Baseball participation fell 14.5 percent, and basketball dropped 9.3 percent.

Participation in tackle football fell 0.9 percent from 2012-13, the report said. Rugby’s participation climbed 33.4 percent in that time, while lacrosse’s jumped 12.8 percent. Field hockey rose 19.2 percent from 2012-13.

The report didn’t include reasons for the changes.

The most popular sports among 6-12 year-olds are gymnastics and outdoor soccer, the report said. Track & field and tackle football are the most popular in the 13-17 year-old group.

The fastest growing sports in the 6-12 group are rugby (30.5 percent) lacrosse (28.9 percent) and ice hockey (27 percent). The biggest decliners are touch football (6.7 percent), slow-pitch softball (6.5 percent) and tackle football (5.8 percent).

In the 13-17 year-old group the fastest growers are lacrosse (15.6 percent), cheerleading (7.6 percent) and rugby (6.9 percent). The biggest decliners are wrestling (14.4 percent), flag football (10.3 percent) and paintball (9.6 percent).

Basketball and baseball have the highest participation rates among those with incomes as much as $74,999. From $75,000 and up it’s basketball and soccer.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
The report isn't freely accessible, but I'd be interested to see the raw numbers. I imagine rugby is growing off a tiny base in the 6-12 year old age range, but that's really where long-term success is built so any progress is encouraging.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
The report isn't freely accessible, but I'd be interested to see the raw numbers. I imagine rugby is growing off a tiny base in the 6-12 year old age range, but that's really where long-term success is built so any progress is encouraging.

My understanding is that Rugby now has in excess of 450,000 participants in the USA. That's the only raw number I know.

Since that seems to be actual numbers, rather than the ARU's 600,000 people who saw a picture of a Rugby player estimate, that makes the US a bigger market in a space pretty close to the same size (minus Alaska) of Australia and with about 20 times the population to market to.

I believe the main growth area they are working from is high school at the moment. Obviously the 6-12 group is growing, though.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
Since that seems to be actual numbers, rather than the ARU's 600,000 people who saw a picture of a Rugby player estimate, that makes the US a bigger market in a space pretty close to the same size (minus Alaska) of Australia and with about 20 times the population to market to.
I believe the main growth area they are working from is high school at the moment. Obviously the 6-12 group is growing, though.

I don't think the comparison as to geographical space does much for the conversation. A bit weird actually.

350 odd million versus 23.7 something million is significant.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
I don't think the comparison as to geographical space does much for the conversation. A bit weird actually.

350 odd million versus 23.7 something million is significant.

I believe it does. Much of the issue for sport participation in Australia is proximity to competition. At least it is if you don't live in Sydney or Melbourne. The population density is more conducive to competition.

Call it weird if you like. I'll call it a detail that probably didn't deserve to be singled out for discussion.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
So step 1, become significant participation sport in America. Step 2, become significant commercial sport in America. Looks like step 1 is happening. And step 2 is starting to happen now too.

SANZAR have a massive opportunity to integrate American rugby into the SANZAR season, and therefore benefit from this growth in the long term. This should be happening now - while we'd still be of use to American rugby, and before they'd be of significant use to us. It can be a win/win, but only if administrators look with a long term view.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
I just meant that the population density of the USA and Australia is dependant on geographical features.

We will remain without a significant mountain range running north to south in the centre or west of Australia for, umm, quite some time to come.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
I just meant that the population density of the USA and Australia is dependant on geographical features.

We will remain without a significant mountain range running north to south in the centre or west of Australia for, umm, quite some time to come.

I guess we're not seeing each other's point. But it's not something that matters enough to have a tangential discussion.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
Don't know if any gospel-spreading-the-word's needed in Sri Lanka, it's one of the few countries where rugby's the premier football code. Another obscure one's Madagascar. Would that make six countries where rugby's #1?

There were some really great stories from the IRB (World Rugby) about rugby in Antananarivo in the last year.

I remember Frank Hadden, former Scottish national coach and then working with the IRB on rugby in places like Laos and Cambodia, speak of how Madagascar has more rugby players than Scotland. And a South African friend say, ten years ago, how rugby crazy they were in the island.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
I guess we're not seeing each other's point. But it's not something that matters enough to have a tangential discussion.
Yep I think your point went whoooosh right past me. Sorry for that.

Very excited by USA Rugby's potential growth at grassroots in the next decade. And in the women's game through Olympic inclusion.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^Is there picture SMS's on Hooper's phone of the "riot" that have been circulated?

Sounds like a slow news day, ... ... ... unless the currently unnamed mate of Hoops happens to be KB (Kurtley Beale).

T

TOCC

Sri Lanka actually has a professional domestic 7's circuit.. Quite a few lesser know Aussies are over there playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk