• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sounds like the sort of model, just on a smaller scale (in terms of money), that I'd like to see implemented here when Super Rugby falls over.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Also, what's with no teams from California? I thought it was the state with the most rugby participants?

And it's a shame that Ohio Aviators team from Pro can't be reborn in this competition. It seemed to be making some headway and got some reasonable crowds given the circumstances. The team has almost 10,000 likes on Facebook - that's nearly twice as many as the NSW Country Eagles, which has the most of any NRC team with its own page.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Also, what's with no teams from California? I thought it was the state with the most rugby participants?

And it's a shame that Ohio Aviators team from Pro can't be reborn in this competition. It seemed to be making some headway and got some reasonable crowds given the circumstances. The team has almost 10,000 likes on Facebook - that's nearly twice as many as the NSW Country Eagles, which has the most of any NRC team with its own page.

Team from both California and the East Coast were approached but were either not in the position to participate or prefer to remain amateur. That said, there is a group based in San Diego who are apparently interested but I don't think we'll see them until 2019. Same for Boston for that matter.

It is sad about Ohio. According to those on the ground most of that squad are either still based in Columbus or keen to return. They have a new 6,500 seat stadium about to open and Tiger Rugby Academy that has a nice training facilities up the road. Would be an ideal expansion location. Just needs investors to come on board.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
According to a reliable USA Rugby media site United World Sports, the operator of the Las Vegas 7s and other 7s related properties, are set to make an announcement regarding their Super 7s concept.

Super 7s is basically their idea to implement a 4 x 12min quarters structure in an attempt to further commercialize 7s in a league format.

I managed to watch their proof of concept a couple years back and I found it got far too loose as the game went on. I tend to think 10s would be a better fit but that's their choice.

No idea on teams or anything. This has come more out of the blue after being very quiet for the past 18 months.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Not strictly rugby, but the Calcio Storico Fiorentino 2017 was played on the weekend. Basically a mix of Soccer, Rugby and Wrestling. Kicks to the head are banned, but seemingly everything else goes.

Riot police had to be called this year, when an all-in brawl started, although how they could tell, I'm not sure.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-forced-break-Calcio-Storico-Fiorentino.html

More info on Calcio Storico (Historic Football)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcio_Fiorentino

The game starts when the Pallaio throws and kicks the ball towards the center line, then at the first whistle and at first the ball rests on field, 15 forwards or Corridori begin fighting in a wild mixed martial arts match- punching, kicking, tripping, hacking, tackling, and wrestling with each other in an effort designed to tire opponents' defenses, but which often descends into an all-out brawl, trying to put, pin down, force to submit as many players possible; once there are enough incapacitated players, the other teammates come and swoop up the ball and head to the goal. Then followed by a small cannon firing; the shot announces the beginning of the contest.

Incidentally, the game is played in the courtyard of my favourite place in Florence - the Basilica de Santa Croce - which contains the tombs of Galileo, Michelangelo, and Machiavelli.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I missed a flight from Florence and had an unexpected stay which resulted in me running into will Ferrell in a pizza store and watching this.... Was crazy!! Particularly all the fanfare beforehand

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Thought I'd update on the goings on regarding MLR in the US.

So, there are 9 organisations committed at present and they are looking at a April 2018 season kick off at present. Chicago have elected not to commit to that deadline opting for 2019 and allowing them on developing their multi-million dollar facility which will include three Rugby pitches, training facility, function centre and potentially accommodations.

There are a bunch of murmurs about potential future bids. The guys behind the NYC bid for the Pro12 have been hinting that after disagreeing on timing with the Pro12 that they may be looking at the MLR and have indicated they are now in the process of choosing (not looking for but picking their 1st, 2nd, 3rd preference) stadiums.

Same guys mentioned Boston and Ontario as parties in discussion on running something next year as a lead in to MLR in 2019.The team manager of the Ontario Blues confirmed talks are currently in progress re: their involvement in MLR.

Read today that apparently there is a group eager to enter the fray via a San Francisco franchise from as early as 2019. It has also been hinted at that they may not be the only Californian team. Evidently these groups are holding off until USARugby voids PRO's sanctioning. Which suggests the second team could be San Diego based as these are the markets PRO operated in and there has been careful steps in place to avoid litigation if the pull the trigger too soon.

Interesting times ahead. Could be as many as 14 teams in the MLR by 2020.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Oscar (Idea) Kolinsau the Fijian Gold Medal winning 7s captain has signed for the Houston Strikers for MLR 1 set for next April.

The guys behind the initial NYC Pro 12 have just launched RC NY. Still a fair amount of speculation on where this team will play but considering they withdrew their Pro12 bid due to timing and they've stated it plans to launch in the Spring of 2019 which also happens to be in the same window the MLR will operate and considering they are on record expressing their interest in the league that's my bet.

Finally, according to twitter there is some 'very exciting' news coming 'very soon' from the Chinese RFU. No idea what. Maybe plans for the mooted pro league.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Another Rich league to draw players away from Super Rugby.

There's certainly that threat. But I see a lot of opportunity. Particularly for us. Asia is a huge and underdeveloped market for the game. With Super Rugby seemingly on its way out I think we could potential pivot our focus to the region.

I think we could develop a new competition working with NZ, Japan and China. Take our 5 plus Fiji, NZ's 5 plus the Jaguares, the Top 6 from the Top League and 5 (assuming Hong Kong come on board) or 6 from China.

First round would involve a 10 in conference stage before a 2ND round would see teams split into four pools of of 6 to play either a further 5 or up to 10 games (if home and away) before a top 8 finals series.

There would need to see certain criteria involved. Like the Top League and Chinese teams recruiting for competitiveness first but I think there's potential there.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Given that David Niu was tagged in that post on Twitter, I can only imagine that it's some hare-brained scheme to develop that extended version of sevens or something.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It's been a while since I've updated this thread about the goings on in the US. So, here goes. First of all everything I'm about to detail (well, most of it) can be found @ Americas Rugby News. So feel free to check it out.

Anyway, Minneapolis and Dallas are out both failing to make the bond calls. Minneapolis will be replaced by San Diego who have met the call (I've heard that the bond was around $2m) and will join Seattle, Utah, Glendale(Denver), Austin, Houston, New Orleans and Kansas City as one of the 8 inaugural teams.

Which is interesting. But not the most interesting.

Chicago was slated to be one of the inaugural team but elected to wait until 2019 in order for their multi-million dollar facility to be finished. It's impressive. But that's far from the end of it.

A group in Ontario have recently launched the Ontario Arrows. An organisation directly geared toward professional Rugby. They'll be playing a series of games next year against a number of MLR teams and other considered to be prospective MLR teams. They haven't explicitly stated they are looking at MLR but that's their planned destination.

There's recently been a lot of speculation around Boston. Boston Rugby will be building what will be a seriously impressive facility in the outer suburbs of the city. There are a number of impressive facilities in the works among the MLR organisation but this while likely take the cake. Fields, gyms and a grass bank stadium. The municipality is also building a multi-purpose 10,000 seat stadium just down the road. So.

New York seem likely for 2019 as well. Less is known but they are serious and have most of their ducks in a row apparently.

Across the other side of the continent it looks like it could get very interesting. Not to be left out their is a Vancouver based group planning on entering in 2019 alongside a San Francisco team. There's also significant rumours of a Sacramento group and recently mentioned of one of the major LA clubs starting talks about bringing a professional team to the city.

Finally, in more Canadian news. According to a prominent Canadian Rugby journo (as prominent as they come in Canada) there is also interest in the MLR in both Calgary and Halifax but as yet no formal approach.

Things are really heating up in North America. It is possible that in 2019 we could see a 16 team MLR in place. That's assuming each group gets everything they need in place before then.

It's amazing how much interesting has arisen around this particular structure and model.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's been a while since I've updated this thread about the goings on in the US. So, here goes. First of all everything I'm about to detail (well, most of it) can be found @ Americas Rugby News. So feel free to check it out.

Anyway, Minneapolis and Dallas are out both failing to make the bond calls. Minneapolis will be replaced by San Diego who have met the call (I've heard that the bond was around $2m) and will join Seattle, Utah, Glendale(Denver), Austin, Houston, New Orleans and Kansas City as one of the 8 inaugural teams.

Which is interesting. But not the most interesting.

Chicago was slated to be one of the inaugural team but elected to wait until 2019 in order for their multi-million dollar facility to be finished. It's impressive. But that's far from the end of it.

A group in Ontario have recently launched the Ontario Arrows. An organisation directly geared toward professional Rugby. They'll be playing a series of games next year against a number of MLR teams and other considered to be prospective MLR teams. They haven't explicitly stated they are looking at MLR but that's their planned destination.

There's recently been a lot of speculation around Boston. Boston Rugby will be building what will be a seriously impressive facility in the outer suburbs of the city. There are a number of impressive facilities in the works among the MLR organisation but this while likely take the cake. Fields, gyms and a grass bank stadium. The municipality is also building a multi-purpose 10,000 seat stadium just down the road. So.

New York seem likely for 2019 as well. Less is known but they are serious and have most of their ducks in a row apparently.

Across the other side of the continent it looks like it could get very interesting. Not to be left out their is a Vancouver based group planning on entering in 2019 alongside a San Francisco team. There's also significant rumours of a Sacramento group and recently mentioned of one of the major LA clubs starting talks about bringing a professional team to the city.

Finally, in more Canadian news. According to a prominent Canadian Rugby journo (as prominent as they come in Canada) there is also interest in the MLR in both Calgary and Halifax but as yet no formal approach.

Things are really heating up in North America. It is possible that in 2019 we could see a 16 team MLR in place. That's assuming each group gets everything they need in place before then.

It's amazing how much interesting has arisen around this particular structure and model.

Brilliant.

The more rugby the better (provided the structure is right)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Brilliant.

The more rugby the better (provided the structure is right)

It's an interesting structure overall. All funds are distributed centrally from the league in regards to salary caps and travel etc. While the teams run their own operations elsewhere. Similar to that of Major League Soccer. Which makes sense as a number of the management group behind the league as a whole have been involved in MLS at one time or another.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
WCR - will it be a simple home and away season? And do you know what the salary cap will be (i.e. will this be a fully professional competition or semi-pro)?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
WCR - will it be a simple home and away season? And do you know what the salary cap will be (i.e. will this be a fully professional competition or semi-pro)?

Nothing concrete as yet. There has been suggestion that it will be a 14 round home and away season to start. Which is fair enough and easily the most workable. If the choose to do finals it's hard to see them involving any more than 4 teams for 16 weeks in total. Salary cap hasn't been confirmed. I've seen it mentioned to be as low as $250k a season. Which will put it firmly in the semi-pro bracket. But there has also been talk of a number of concessions in that figure and room for it to be worked around. Such as players being employed by the organisations being able to pay some players outside of the cap while employing others in different capacities within the organisation beyond just playing. Sam Windsor is an example of that. He's a player/coach.Another is Matt Trouville who will be their Academy director. I suspect we'll see a bunch of development officers outside of the MLR proper next year from a number of organisation. So, officially. It will be semi-pro but most if not all of the squad members of these teams will be in and around Rugby full time.