• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
the sabanator

TE in the second row, maybe..but most RBs are under 6'0" so I think 8 is out of the question :p

Historically though these conversion attempts have simply not panned out. It takes 8mos-1yr just to get these guys match fit because you literally have to tear them down and build them from the ground up even from an S&C standpoint.

It is also pretty hilarious seeing how these guys suddenly look far less 'athletic' when they're playing a game they can't read and can't execute the basic skills (catch, pass, ruck, tackle) at pace in.

I still have nightmares about when they brought Miles Craigwell into the USA 7s team. He has improved leaps and bounds today but that's because he has been playing club rugby for a top-tier club for years now. He looked like an absolute clown when they tried to rush him from the Miami Dolphins training squad to International 7s though, just got absolutely exposed by every team. If these guys want to settle in with clubs or try to hunt for a contract overseas, play for a few years and then come back that's completely fine because at that point they are actually proper rugby players.

Having played both games for over 10 years now I can see how hard it would be to get NFL players to convert.

While it may seem like a similar game, the differences are massive. As a running back, it probably took me at least 3 seasons to really start seeing blocks, right holes etc etc. The ifrst couple of years I approached teh game like rugby and just hit gaps hard and fast and tried to make as many yards as possible. It wasn't till I started watching video of my games and started seeing the potential blocks and extra yards that I wasn't seeing in the moment that things really started to click.

Getting NFL players aheads around the game just for a start would be a big task.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Amen @Bullrush.

At amateur level it's easy to translate "contact skills" to another sport, but when you get really technical at professional level it's hard. Nowadays development coaches are getting our union boys to do thousands of reps of falling over and placing the ball with a very specific technique. It'll be practically muscle memory for them.

The American Football boys won't just innately learn this skill to that professional standard overnight.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I've got to say the results against the likes of Poland and Sri Lanka are surprising. I know the Polish squad isn't their strongest but considering the level they play at in the ENC structures, I'd have had them winning that game.

The Sri Lanka result suggests that the Asia and Africa structures at the top end seem to be farily comparable.

yeahmate

Peter Burge (5)
Unless I'm mistaken Madagascar is one of the very few countries in the World where rugby is the number 1 football code and their home internationals back out their stadiums.

I think they even often end up playing Namibia for a WC spot.

I hope Madagascar get in. It seems they're competitive with Namibia in some games, maybe Namibia without Burger and assuming other few players that might play in Europe though. Surprises me how often Madagascar comes up though, anyone know much about Kenya in regards to 15's? I know there strong domestically with 7's.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
IRB Website has them ranked surprisingly low (32). Assume with a country like that you go where the money is. I imagine coming 4th in the Dubai sevens earns Kenyan Rugby more than playing a 15's game against Namibia in front of 60 people.

FireStorm

Frank Row (1)
A little bit off topic, this is more "unexpected news from rugby places":

Will talking to SMH (Rugby Heaven)

"You can't read into things too much. But at the end of the day we love playing with each other, we enjoy playing with each other and we look forward to it every single time."

I knew Will and Quade were close but that's going a little too far! :eek:

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

I know some blokes who've played Cyprus who basically say they're the best out of the countries they play at finding eligible foreign players and the most willing to use them.

Most of the other countries in their Divvy are promoting a local/foreigner balance by Cyprus are out-and-out about winning.

It's not the worst approach but I think it points to the fact they will hit a wall at some point and become far less competitive.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I have it on good authority that Nathan Sharpe will be playing and coaching for South Darwin in 2014. Tim Atkinson is the head coach and that is the link where he was recruited. I know Sharpie is in and out of town on business a bit.

This is awsome news if true.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I have it on good authority that Nathan Sharpe will be playing and coaching for South Darwin in 2014. Tim Atkinson is the head coach and that is the link where he was recruited. I know Sharpie is in and out of town on business a bit.

This is awsome news if true.

Haha, did they have to promise him he could play 5/8?

Jokes aside, there won't be a second rower in the league tall enough to pair with him in the scrum.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Ive been appointed a coach of a brand new team in Germany . They have been in existence for 2 years but only played friendlies up until this year. THey were admitted to the 4th division - don't have a coach. They lost their first two games 92-0 and 75-0 respectively. I get there in December. Thankfully their last two games of the year were washed out so they will reschedule them for next year. I guess the only way is up - it will be an enjoyable challenge going from a team playing D1 in the US to a team playing bottom division getting thumped.. it will improve my coaching to no end though I imagine.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
There are a few world cup qualifying games with Germany that I will be sure to attend too.

yeahmate

Peter Burge (5)
Ive been appointed a coach of a brand new team in Germany . They have been in existence for 2 years but only played friendlies up until this year. THey were admitted to the 4th division - don't have a coach. They lost their first two games 92-0 and 75-0 respectively. I get there in December. Thankfully their last two games of the year were washed out so they will reschedule them for next year. I guess the only way is up - it will be an enjoyable challenge going from a team playing D1 in the US to a team playing bottom division getting thumped.. it will improve my coaching to no end though I imagine.

whatta ya know about the game in the Fatherland?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
whatta ya know about the game in the Fatherland?
It will be the same as it is everywhere else: Fatties will be slow and lazy but ultimately dependable. Backs will be glitzy and challenge everything you say as coach. They will be very knowledgeable about hair products and skin care treatments.
Referees will be shizzen.
Administrators will be biased.
Parents will have inflated views of how good their kids are.
Club Officials will believe that the Old Days were so much better.
No one will turn up to help out at working bees.
Everyone will turn up at the end of the working bee to help run the BBQ for the free feed and beers.
The Beers will be awesome after victories.
There won't be enough money in the kitty for proper training gear and resources, but the Committee and Board meetings will be well nourished and hydrated.
No one will like the English.
The Waratahs will be on the cusp of "coming right".

Sounds like a good gig. Keep us posted on progress.

Do they still have any man-girls left over from the 80's/90's East German sports programme? They could shake up the International Womens Rugby scene if they did.