• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Ive been appointed a coach of a brand new team in Germany . They have been in existence for 2 years but only played friendlies up until this year. THey were admitted to the 4th division - don't have a coach. They lost their first two games 92-0 and 75-0 respectively. I get there in December. Thankfully their last two games of the year were washed out so they will reschedule them for next year. I guess the only way is up - it will be an enjoyable challenge going from a team playing D1 in the US to a team playing bottom division getting thumped.. it will improve my coaching to no end though I imagine.

So even if you lose your first game by less than 50-0, its a sort of win:)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
http://usarugby.org/news/item/referees-announce-2014-national-referee-pool
Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 9.04.53 am.png

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Indonesia granted full membership of IRB. Brunei are associate members.

The International Rugby Board has welcomed the Persatuan Rugby Union Indonesia (PRUI) as a Full Member Union after Council approved its application during its interim meeting in Dublin today.

The PRUI became an Associate Member of the IRB in May 2008 and is already a Full Member of the Asian Rugby Football Union (ARFU), regularly taking part in regional events and council meetings. In addition, the PRUI is recognised by its National Olympic Committee.

http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediaz...html#indonesia+welcomed+irb+full+member+union

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Indonesia granted full membership of IRB. Brunei are associate members.

The International Rugby Board has welcomed the Persatuan Rugby Union Indonesia (PRUI) as a Full Member Union after Council approved its application during its interim meeting in Dublin today.

The PRUI became an Associate Member of the IRB in May 2008 and is already a Full Member of the Asian Rugby Football Union (ARFU), regularly taking part in regional events and council meetings. In addition, the PRUI is recognised by its National Olympic Committee.

http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazone/pressrelease/newsid=2069524.html#indonesia welcomed irb full member union

After the trouble Tony's in with the Indonesians, I am sure he would be open to "helping and funding" the Indonesian team with coaching and tours by Australian selected teams (maybe the indigenous team say). Wouldn't cost the ARU and would help improve our PR.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
After the trouble Tony's in with the Indonesians, I am sure he would be open to "helping and funding" the Indonesian team with coaching and tours by Australian selected teams (maybe the indigenous team say). Wouldn't cost the ARU and would help improve our PR.

Mate, that's drawing a very long bow.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
So even if you lose your first game by less than 50-0, its a sort of win:)

Exactly what I was thinking - there is 5 teams in the divisoin - one other is getting beaten by cricket scores like this one I am taking on - so the aim wil be to defeat them and half the results of the others when we play them in the 2nd round (home and away fixtures) . Then next season build from there. Ive seen the videos of the games - the other teams are just better structured - bit of coaching will help them get better for sure.

yeahmate

Peter Burge (5)
Piece about the Shanghai Rugby club

The Shanghai Rugby Football Club
The origins of the Shanghai Rugby Football Club can be traced back to 1867 when the very first Shanghai Football Club was founded, playing a hybrid of rugby and soccer on a field on the racecourse which became today's People's Square.

The first true rugby game (although a different form from the game played today) according to the club's website, was played in November 1875, five years after the first Shanghai Football Club had disbanded. Rugby player and historian Simon Drakeford observes that in those early days it seemed that the game to be played depended on the number of players who turned up. If enough turned up they would play rugby otherwise they would play association football.

However, as time went on, there was some friction between the adherents of the soccer and rugger codes and consequently, the Shanghai Rugby Football Club was born in September 1904. A surge of enthusiasm for rugby among expats (mainly Britons) in Shanghai at the time created an important sports tradition - the interport fixture.

The club's first interport match took place in Shanghai in February 1907 against a team from Tianjin and the teams met another seven times up to 1924. That year also marked the start of the most important and most enthusiastically attended interport annual fixture when Shanghai traveled to Hong Kong. The two teams played each other 15 times between 1924 and 1949.

In Shanghai, the club also welcomed the appearance of American, French and Japanese teams from the 1920s and the city's rugby scene flourished from then on until the liberation of Shanghai in 1949 when many players left Shanghai to return to their home countries.

The club struggled on and saw its final game of rugby played between club team and a "Retired Gentlemen" team in March 1950. Simon Drakeford notes: "At the request of the retirees the game was limited to two 20-minute halves. The result was not recorded but we do know that hot water would be provided but the players had to bring their own towel and soap."

Shanghai's rugby scene halted for some 45 years till the mid-1990s when games were played between groups of enthusiasts and the club was reborn. Today's Shanghai Rugby Football Club has evolved into a diverse sports club offering a dozen recreational and sporting activities including rugby, soccer, cricket, tennis and Frisbee involving the city's expats and local Chinese.

here's the url - http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/827530.shtml#.UpVytuL4LhQ

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
World Record Undefeated Test Match run is on the line.
Coming up:
European Nations Cup
Division 2C
Cyprus vs Austria
Referee: George Kaloxilos (Greece)

Source:http://www.rugby365.com/article/57391-referees-to-1-december-2013

The tradition is for "neutral" referees. Why on earth would you appoint a Greek referee to a game involving Cypress? Sometimes I wonder about the Referees Appointments Board, but usually I think they are just a clusterfuck! This proves it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The tradition is for "neutral" referees. Why on earth would you appoint a Greek referee to a game involving Cypress? Sometimes I wonder about the Referees Appointments Board, but usually I think they are just a clusterfuck! This proves it.

Maybe he is biased for the Greek Cypriots and biased against the Turkish Cypriots and overall it balances out?

Reactions: BPC

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Been training a month now with the new German team. Improvements are already huge and they are loving playing the game properlly (as they say) . aim is to have two teams in 2 years and move up divisions. Got a german coaching licence via a course in Frankfurt a couple of weekends ago - nice clubhouses, going to check out a bundasliga game in a couple of weeks too. England has started doing a coach/player swap so the game can develope here.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Indian Rugby seemed to have received a huge shot in the arm when Delhi hosted the event at the Commonwealth Games in 2010. Four years later, however, its back to square one for the sport with almost a hundred promising rugby players making the switch to American Football.
A combination of internal politics in the national federation and a lack of support from the government have been factors in the Indian Rugby team not qualifying for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow which will take place later this year.
The first signs of trouble for the Indian Rugby Football Union came when Delhi University converted the state-of-the-art rugby facility, constructed specifically for the Delhi CWG at an estimated cost of Rs 304.26 crore, into a cricket ground soon after the Delhi Games.
“The Delhi University Sports Council bowed to the pressure from an influential lobby and converted the turf into a cricket pitch. The Indian Rugby Football Union (IRFU) made several representations to DU, SAI and the sports ministry staking its claim for the ground, but nothing happened.

Rest of the article here

A shame, shows the potential positive impact of 7s at the Com Games and Oly Games, but also the importance to maintain the presence and development of rugby in those countries to make sure its not a flash in the pan.

mech4bg

Allen Oxlade (6)
I was reminded of this story in the Rebels vs Cheetahs thread where they mentioned Randwick. It's a personal anecdote rather than a news story, but it was very unexpected.

I work in the Silicon Valley, and at my work Christmas party last year I was chatting to my CEO (who is married to the COO of Facebook). I can't remember how it came up, but somehow we started talking about Rugby - turns out, he played lock (same position I played) for Randwick (where I didn't play :)) for a few months while on a college exchange in Sydney. Pretty rare to meet people who have even heard of Rugby here - was very odd finding out my CEO played for Randwick. He said it was, as you'd expect, a completely different world to US Rugby.

This area is surprisingly Rugby centric though, I've been down to Stanford to see a game and it was well supported, lots of college kids play. Always surprises me how many Americans I meet who've actually played Rugby.