• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rich Freeman who is normally the best Japanese source going around has said the proposed changes will see the top league change into a promotion/relegation format with 8 teams in a league instead of 24 teams starting the year in the same level. The company teams will most likely remain and there is no desire to change this. The season will change to a Jan-May time, which will be very interesting for aussies that play super rugby and top league. This could be detrimental to us retaining players, by not been able to double dip contracts in the same season. Overall I think it’s a positive sign. Having 8 teams should raise the level of those playing.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Rich Freeman who is normally the best Japanese source going around has said the proposed changes will see the top league change into a promotion/relegation format with 8 teams in a league instead of 24 teams starting the year in the same level. The company teams will most likely remain and there is no desire to change this. The season will change to a Jan-May time, which will be very interesting for aussies that play super rugby and top league. This could be detrimental to us retaining players, by not been able to double dip contracts in the same season. Overall I think it’s a positive sign. Having 8 teams should raise the level of those playing.

Yeah, still company run but according to the guys I've encountered they'll be more emphasis on community engagement on their behalf. Well, that's what they are suggesting. The 8 team 1st Div seems like a solid option in order to help lift the overall standards of the Top League play. Interesting how things outside of Europe are aligning. Super Rugby, GRR, Top League, MLR and LAR are all going to be in roughly the same window.

There's definitely going to be the opportunity for some kind of Champions Cup competition in there eventually.

On that structure. It could be done during the RC window with the 4 Aus teams, 4 from GRR and 4 from the Top League. I think our franchises would be happy at the prospect to contine to engage with the Japanese market they've been working toward season on season.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The South American pro league will kick off next March and will feature 6 teams from Argentina (two of Cordoba, Tucuman and Rosario who are all bidding for a spot), Uruguay (both from Montevideo and linked to the two biggest Soccer clubs in the country Nacional and Penarol) and Brazil (one will definitely be in Sao Paulo no indication on the 2nd yet but Curibita or Florianopolis are the two most likely options).

Paraguay (just confirmed to be linked to Oilimpia based in Ascunsion) and Chile (who will be linked with Universidad de Catholica club in Santiago) are set to enter in 2021 alongside a possible Colombian side based in Medellin.

It will offically be known as Supa Liga Americana de Rugby. SLAR for short.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
From what I gather he’s still going to be at Toulon, just had a clause in his contract to play somewhere else for a year before resuming his contract at the club. I could be completely wrong on this

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The South American pro league will kick off next March and will feature 6 teams from Argentina (two of Cordoba, Tucuman and Rosario who are all bidding for a spot), Uruguay (both from Montevideo and linked to the two biggest Soccer clubs in the country Nacional and Penarol) and Brazil (one will definitely be in Sao Paulo no indication on the 2nd yet but Curibita or Florianopolis are the two most likely options).

Paraguay (just confirmed to be linked to Oilimpia based in Ascunsion) and Chile (who will be linked with Universidad de Catholica club in Santiago) are set to enter in 2021 alongside a possible Colombian side based in Medellin.

It will offically be known as Supa Liga Americana de Rugby. SLAR for short.

Okay. So apparently there will only be 1 Argentine team next next year to be joined by a second in 2021 while Catholica claim they will be ready to go for 2020. Also, there will be no more than 4 Argentine players in each of the other teams.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...e/news-story/0765fedd328467c21727cfb300b865e4

Rugby Union SA calls for more junior players to join its growing league
Roxanne Wilson, Sunday Mail (SA)
May 4, 2019 6:11pm
These youngsters know the thrill of playing rugby with friends — and they want more South Aussie kids to experience the feeling.​
Rugby Union SA chief executive Carl Jones said while junior numbers were on the rise — they experienced a seven per cent lift last year — more young players were needed. “We’ve currently got more than 1000 (junior) players playing every Saturday, but to make the 10 clubs sustainable, we probably could do with 50 more players at each club,” he said.​
Burnside Rugby Union club president Wally Bell said they were looking for five to 10 more players in every age group, from under-7s to under-18s. He said rugby union was an inclusive sport, with the number of females playing in their junior teams continuing to grow. “It is a great game where it does not matter if you are female, male, fast, a plodder, short or tall,” he said. “There is a position on the field to suit all.”​
Mr Bell urged more kids to give rugby a go. “There will be a club not far away from where you live,” he said.​
Details: sarugby.com.au

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some very interesting parties World Rugby has indicated that are wanting to potentially host the 7s World Cup.

The list given is

Argentina, Cayman Islands, France, Germany, India, Jamaica, Malaysia, Qatar, Scotland, South Africa and Tunisia.

Formal bids are required in July with the winner selected in October.

Here’s to a non-traditional selection but I feel SA might get the upper hand especially after the WC controversy

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Some very interesting parties World Rugby has indicated that are wanting to potentially host the 7s World Cup.

The list given is

Argentina, Cayman Islands, France, Germany, India, Jamaica, Malaysia, Qatar, Scotland, South Africa and Tunisia.

Here’s to a non-traditional selection but I feel SA might get the upper hand especially after the WC controversy

Germany could be a bit of a dark horse. They are looking to align it with Oktoberfest and their Oktoberfest 7s event in Munich. Could be a bit of a draw for travelling fans.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’m surprised we haven’t tried. Considering the bing push we tried for the women’s wc, the success of our women’s team, the competition for players and the cheapness with comparison to other World Cup events, etc.

I’m biased but it’d be a 3 day sell out if it came to Melbourne, Perth I’m sure would be a brilliant spot as well. Away from Sydney/Brisbane it’d be a fun and good way to spread the gospel.

S

Show-n-go

The list given is

I’m not across the RWC bids, why was it considered controversial that SA didn’t get it?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

At the earliest we'll see a Vegas team in 2021. But according the the guys who know much more about what's going on in the background of MLR than I. It's a very strong possibility. I know a group from Las Vegas attended the MLR final last year (alongside a group from Mexico). I wonder if they are the same group.l

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
yep all reports indicate Vegas one of the next franchises.....whilst many keen for Vancouver to be in the mix apparently very quiet on that front.