• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
yep all reports indicate Vegas one of the next franchises...whilst many keen for Vancouver to be in the mix apparently very quiet on that front.

Another one that's popped up is Halifax, Nova Scotia. The owner of the new CPL Soccer team is looking at setting up a Rugby side to compete out of the Wanderers ground (seats roughly 6k) in the near-ish future. And there was mention that there is at least some interest surrounding a possible St Louis bid in the future.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Another one that's popped up is Halifax, Nova Scotia. The owner of the new CPL Soccer team is looking at setting up a Rugby side to compete out of the Wanderers ground (seats roughly 6k) in the near-ish future. And there was mention that there is at least some interest surrounding a possible St Louis bid in the future.
Yeh but expect a slowdown in expansion as there are concerns of expanding too soon and diluting the quality of the player base which is why many keen for Vancouver as US rugby stocks pretty stretched. About 30% of mlr teams made up of imports with rest made up of local talent.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Appears Russia has indicated it’s going to look at hosting the 2027 WC. This could be simply a government sanctioned cost analysis and studies to see if its worth formally bidding.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Appears Russia has indicated it’s going to look at hosting the 2027 WC. This could be simply a government sanctioned cost analysis and studies to see if its worth formally bidding.

I think WR (World Rugby) would be cautious about giving it to Russia given the poor turnout the sevens world cup received there.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
One thing I noticed in the last week is that Algeria is now officially an affiliate member of World Rugby. I think they could be a real contender to make the world cup in 2023. There are millions of French people of Algerian descent, and there are several players in the Top 14 and Pro D2 who would qualify for Algeria through their parents or grandparents. If they could get a team of them together you'd have to think they'd be a big chance of knocking off Namibia. Mourad Boudjellal, the owner of Toulon is also of Algerian descent and has offered to support the rugby federation in the past.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think WR (World Rugby) would be cautious about giving it to Russia given the poor turnout the sevens world cup received there.

There's little to no chance of the bid being successful. But there are some really positive things going on in Russia in regards to Rugby. A number of the Russian Premier Rugby League teams are starting stadium building projects. Nothing too outlandish. Mostly 5k seaters with room to add more in the future. But all heated pitches with professional gyms and indoor facilities. CSKA Moscow just put up it's drawings alongside a goal of getting Rugby played in 100 Moscow schools. CSKA is a big, and very wealth multi-sport club so has a reasonable chance of achieving just that.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

A group out of Columbus, OH recently registered Professional Rugby Ohio LLC. Which means there's now three more groups in and around the traps looking for a shot at entry. If they do enter they'll likely play out of Obetz Stadium which was purpose built partly for Rugby. Ohio in the one and only PRO Rugby season saw pretty good crowds in what was a makeshift ground.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
A good story about using rugby in the USA in problem areas to provide positive outlets for youth. While sport in general can offer good alternatives for young people it's interesting how this article talks about how the aggression in rugby union is what was attractive to these young guys. As is so often the case, one guy started this program called Alternatives to Gang Membership.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/may/31/cristian-rodriguez-lindenwood-crc-sevens-rugby

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A couple of compelling semi-finals in the MLR over the weekend. With San Diego winning it with a nicely worked try and a perfect example of how to kick from the sideline by Joe Pietersen at the death against a valiant New York in what was an absolute pearl of a game. And Seattle having too many answers for Toronto in a very physical affair.

San Diego by virtue of finishing the regular season as the No.1 ranked team will host Seattle next weekend (Sunday US time) in what should be a great game with SD having the edge over Seattle having managed to get the better of the Seawolves in both San Diego and more impressively Seattle during the season. These are the two best supported teams in the league as well and a sell out seems a sure thing with standing room only admission a real possibility meaning somewhere between 6-8k will fill a very intimate Terero Stadium.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Additionally, one of the directors of the Houston Sabrecats mentioned in a post that 'two well financed' new bids were set to come online in 2021. Bringing the number of teams to 14.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Additionally, one of the directors of the Houston Sabrecats mentioned in a post that 'two well financed' new bids were set to come online in 2021. Bringing the number of teams to 14.

I did see somewhere a newspaper article discussing MLR finals which finished off saying the 3 new teams were coming in next season and LA in 2021.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I did see somewhere a newspaper article discussing MLR finals which finished off saying the 3 new teams were coming in next season and LA in 2021.

There's no word of where the two 2021 teams will be located. I know there was an article relating to a potential Vegas bid from a group that apparently has already purchased a plot on the strip in order to development a Rugby specific stadium. There has been recent movement in Ohio from a group who were apparently looking at purchasing the rights to the Austin franchise if the current ownership looked to sell. They could be another option and being based in Columbus would likely play out of Fortress Field which is a Rugby specific stadium that seats 6.5k.

There was albeit a small amount of rumbling about some interest out of St Louis and the owner of Halifax FC (Nova Scotia) recently expressed his interest in an MLR team in the future. Haven't read much about LA. I know the original LA Coast bid attempt fell through but another group has emerged in the recent present. Then there's the fabled Dallas which seems to always be a season from launch.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The MLR definitely seems to be going in the right direction. I reckon some of the clubs should try and pull off a big event game each season, at a bigger stadium with some supporting entertainment and cheap tickets. Like some of the teams do in the English Premiership when they take the odd game to Wembley Stadium or Twickenham and really hype it up. MLR wouldn't be able to do anything on that scale, but maybe they could get some 10k plus crowds at MLS venues. Would be a good marketing expense.

In other news Russia beat Argentina XV on the weekend! Argentina XV is basically an Argentina B to C team but they won the Americas Rugby Championship this year, including a big win over the US, so that's a pretty good result for Russia who apparently were resting a lot of their starters. Namibia also beat Uruguay which is surprising. Good signs that this world cup will be the most competitive yet.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The MLR definitely seems to be going in the right direction. I reckon some of the clubs should try and pull off a big event game each season, at a bigger stadium with some supporting entertainment and cheap tickets. Like some of the teams do in the English Premiership when they take the odd game to Wembley Stadium or Twickenham and really hype it up. MLR wouldn't be able to do anything on that scale, but maybe they could get some 10k plus crowds at MLS venues. Would be a good marketing expense.

In other news Russia beat Argentina XV on the weekend! Argentina XV is basically an Argentina B to C team but they won the Americas Rugby Championship this year, including a big win over the US, so that's a pretty good result for Russia who apparently were resting a lot of their starters. Namibia also beat Uruguay which is surprising. Good signs that this world cup will be the most competitive yet.

MLR is probably not quite a that point at present. The crowd average for this season is slightly down from last but that's largely thanks to just awful weather in the first 2 months of the season with rain, near blizzard conditions and storms forcing games to be played in conditions in largely open air stadiums that only the brave or crazy would turn out for or games having to be rescheduled to mid week which aren't the biggest drawers. If everything had gone to plan crowds would have been up around 10-15% on the 2160 from the first season.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
MLR is probably not quite a that point at present. The crowd average for this season is slightly down from last but that's largely thanks to just awful weather in the first 2 months of the season with rain, near blizzard conditions and storms forcing games to be played in conditions in largely open air stadiums that only the brave or crazy would turn out for or games having to be rescheduled to mid week which aren't the biggest drawers. If everything had gone to plan crowds would have been up around 10-15% on the 2160 from the first season.

I don't think it would be impossible for a few of the teams to aim for a bigger crowd once per season if promoted as a special event. I think it was Utah who had a relatively big crowd (around 9k from memory) to one of their trial games before the first season. It was played in a soccer stadium. It's probably not possible for every team, but I'd think a few teams like Seattle, Toronto, Utah and one or two others might be able to do something like this successfully.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I don't think it would be impossible for a few of the teams to aim for a bigger crowd once per season if promoted as a special event. I think it was Utah who had a relatively big crowd (around 9k from memory) to one of their trial games before the first season. It was played in a soccer stadium. It's probably not possible for every team, but I'd think a few teams like Seattle, Toronto, Utah and one or two others might be able to do something like this successfully.

The first goal of the league is to fill their current stadiums as they operate on a revenue share agreement on ticket sales. Once they close in on that then they'll likely start looking at larger facilities. With any luck that will in the next 2-3 seasons. They're hoping for 1m viewers for the final on CBS proper. Incidentally.

Another positive for the league has been the recently completed exhibition series from the incoming DC franchise. Two wins and two loses but watched by nearly 10k punters through the gates. Which is impressive considering the facility they played out of only held 2.5k.

Not sure which stadium they'll play in next season but they've built a solid base to build from.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So im 3 months into a new coaching role in Sweden . Interesting the different struggles T3 nations have compared to others . Real passionate community here , season runs through summer for obvious reasons .

Good luck. Would like to hear what you think of it. I played a season in Helsinki and was impressed with the level there. Not as many ex-pats filling up the team as I thought, heaps of locals. I loved playing in summer too, absolutely balmy conditions. Are you in Stockholm?

Tex

John Thornett (49)
So im 3 months into a new coaching role in Sweden . Interesting the different struggles T3 nations have compared to others . Real passionate community here , season runs through summer for obvious reasons .

Keep us updated mate, would love to hear about the grassroots in Sweden.

I played a few games in Netherlands before buggering my neck. They had a great community of big farming Dutchmen (that the Dutch focus on soccer and bloody hockey is a criminal waste of a rugby physique) and European 'expats'. One memorable bloke was a hard French guy, rumoured to be ex-military. He broke and dislocated his ankle in a sevens match, was carried off to the ED with the pethidine whistle between his teeth before being carried back to the bar that afternoon with the whistle replaced by a pint.

The bar was run by a cranky old local called Frans, who had never played rugby and had no other affiliation with the club, other than pulling beers for the singing hordes.

Great memories.

Reactions: dru