• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The 2nd MLR reached a worthy conclusion this morning. With Seattle emerging victorious for the 2nd year running scoring after the final whistle to secure a grandstand finish for what was a gripping contest.

What made it even better was the electric atmosphere created by the sold out crowd which not only looked great on what was a national broadcast on CBS proper but one that was loud and passionate making the 6k+ sound like 30k. And not just at the end but the entire way through.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Good luck. Would like to hear what you think of it. I played a season in Helsinki and was impressed with the level there. Not as many ex-pats filling up the team as I thought, heaps of locals. I loved playing in summer too, absolutely balmy conditions. Are you in Stockholm?

No Im based in the South near Malmo/Copenhagen. we have a few foreigners playing in our 1st xv but majority of the squad is Swedish players. The level of our competition is mixed. the standard of the top two teams is competitive . Say a 1st grade subbies level / 2nd or 3rd grade .

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Keep us updated mate, would love to hear about the grassroots in Sweden.

I played a few games in Netherlands before buggering my neck. They had a great community of big farming Dutchmen (that the Dutch focus on soccer and bloody hockey is a criminal waste of a rugby physique) and European 'expats'. One memorable bloke was a hard French guy, rumoured to be ex-military. He broke and dislocated his ankle in a sevens match, was carried off to the ED with the pethidine whistle between his teeth before being carried back to the bar that afternoon with the whistle replaced by a pint.

The bar was run by a cranky old local called Frans, who had never played rugby and had no other affiliation with the club, other than pulling beers for the singing hordes.

Great memories.

Very familiar with the Dutch comp. I spent 5 years in Germany coaching and we went over to Holland quite a bit to play pre season games or tournaments with the youth. With the experience in Germany , and knowing the challenges they faced with Rugby being a minority sport, its even more of a minority sport in Sweden (hence their national team playing a division below the now relegated German team) .

Basically my role is mainly youth based . im developing the youth dept at my club (although I am supporting all teams in the club in some respect) but also in the region (county or state) . Also involved in the age grade national set ups. Went to a development conference with the U18 national team in Poland a few weeks ago . Was awsome. there was us, Lithuania, Poland and Ukraine involved. Rugby Europe has restructured the pathway and format for the developing nations across 3 tiers based on their competition structure and High performance pathway. The Sweden Union has since restructured its pathway and will regionalise the HPP academy set ups around the country , Im heading up the South region one and will probably start up in 2020.

It really is nice playing in summer, temperatures are in the 20-25 degree range and provides a good party / festival atmosphere in game days. We had our first home game a couple of weeks ago against one of the top teams, and we drew a crowd of around 500-600 people. When finals come apparently they get around 1000 to the game.

Ill keep you guys posted!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Apparently Austin's licence has been sold to an Ohio based investor and 2020 may be their last season in Texas. Still in the States. AEG are spruiking a BIG announcement coming this week. No idea what it could be.

Finally, the Sth American Pro League scheduled for 2020 will now feature 7 teams with 2 each from Brazil and Uruguay and one from Arg, Chile and Paraguay. Originally, the Paraguayan franchise linked to the countries largest sports club Olimpia was set to join in 2021 but seems to be set for the inaugural season. They are also reaching out to Argentina's Paraguayan community (somewhere around 500k) in search of prospective talent.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Locomotive Penza has just signed Napolioni Nalaga. To play in the Russian Premier Rugby League. Another interesting development for that league. Signing a known player such as Nalaga. There's some really interesting developments going on in Russia. Increased investment in infrastructure. The larger sporting Clube setting up pro operations and talk of a Gazprom sponsored Continental Rugby League.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
Very familiar with the Dutch comp. I spent 5 years in Germany coaching and we went over to Holland quite a bit to play pre season games or tournaments with the youth. With the experience in Germany , and knowing the challenges they faced with Rugby being a minority sport, its even more of a minority sport in Sweden (hence their national team playing a division below the now relegated German team) .

Basically my role is mainly youth based . im developing the youth dept at my club (although I am supporting all teams in the club in some respect) but also in the region (county or state) . Also involved in the age grade national set ups. Went to a development conference with the U18 national team in Poland a few weeks ago . Was awsome. there was us, Lithuania, Poland and Ukraine involved. Rugby Europe has restructured the pathway and format for the developing nations across 3 tiers based on their competition structure and High performance pathway. The Sweden Union has since restructured its pathway and will regionalise the HPP academy set ups around the country , Im heading up the South region one and will probably start up in 2020.

It really is nice playing in summer, temperatures are in the 20-25 degree range and provides a good party / festival atmosphere in game days. We had our first home game a couple of weeks ago against one of the top teams, and we drew a crowd of around 500-600 people. When finals come apparently they get around 1000 to the game.

Ill keep you guys posted!

what is the rugby situation in Estonia these days?;my son lived there for a while a few years ago;there were about four clubs back then

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Went to a development conference with the U18 national team in Poland a few weeks ago . Was awsome. there was us, Lithuania, Poland and Ukraine involved.

Back in about 2012 I was in a little dive pub in Posnan with my girlfriend, and I saw this big old guy with the kind of face that absolutely screamed "I have played in the front row for several decades". I went over and asked him and it turned out he was the youth development officer for the Polish rugby union - name was Tomasz Kapustka. Great bloke - don't suppose you bumped into him?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Back in about 2012 I was in a little dive pub in Posnan with my girlfriend, and I saw this big old guy with the kind of face that absolutely screamed "I have played in the front row for several decades". I went over and asked him and it turned out he was the youth development officer for the Polish rugby union - name was Tomasz Kapustka. Great bloke - don't suppose you bumped into him?

I like your intuition, bold move.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Jake the Muss as Eddie Jones???

photo_l.jpg

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...le-film-set-for-release-before-world-cup.html

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-49598887

Great story about 90 year Olds playing rugby in Japan

Image copyrightKIM KYUNG-HOON / REUTERS
"Since I joined Fuwaku club, I have broken ribs many times and broke my collarbone too," Mr Nagayama says.

"When I noticed an irregular pulse, I would take medicine to adjust so I can still do it. I can't stand not playing.

"This may sound strange but I have lost my wife years ago and now I would say I don't mind dying playing rugby."

_108670587_41af3a52-9671-4656-9179-1383e77e24c7.jpg