• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I reckon you will have the answer for this WCR....I am wondering if South American rugby pro comp will run outside of MLR timing - as for me players playing across both competitions would be a boon for both competitions.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
^I believe it's scheduled for kick-off next March.

Probably rules out players double dipping - but maybe WCR has better oil on this.

On the other hand, maybe it will allow for a "Champions League" style of post season at some future stage.

Dunno.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Apparently the Continental Shield (which is the 3rd tier Euro club competition) has been discontinued with Rugby Europe looking to replace it with a European franchise based league.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Do you know which countries will be involved?

No. These sort of rumours has been making the rounds for several years now. The most recent being the push out of Russia to launch a Kontinental Rugby League in a similar vein to the KHL.

I think the region needs some kind of higher level of competition but how to achieve that is the big question. Spain would have to be high on the priority list for such a league seeing as they have more than 50k registered players these days but they are also focused on elevating their own league.

Perhaps a Euro based Nations League might work with the top 8 team in the Rugby Europe structure playing in a league format with focus on professionalism and academies below them. Fourteen games home and away with finals.

Would be a way to overcome regionalism. May be.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A couple of tweets have emerged of a 'prominent' MLR team will be leaving the competition but not folding. Meaning unless they are going back down to amateur status as the costs of running teams is much higher than it once was or there's potentially another league in the wings.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
South Korea has qualified for Tokyo.

That's great, hopefully this will give the sport a boost in South Korea and they can kick on from here and follow in Japan's footsteps. Interestingly they won both the semi final against China and final against Hong Kong in extra time. I don't think China were anywhere near either a couple of years ago so it's cool to see them get so close to qualifying too.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That's great, hopefully this will give the sport a boost in South Korea and they can kick on from here and follow in Japan's footsteps. Interestingly they won both the semi final against China and final against Hong Kong in extra time. I don't think China were anywhere near either a couple of years ago so it's cool to see them get so close to qualifying too.

South Korean Rugby has desperately needed a kick up the bum for quite a while now. So if they can leverage funding and visibility in order to get things moving that would be amazing. Considering just how small the game is in South Korea they do alright internationally. Particularly in Asia. But they could be a lot better.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
South Korean Rugby has desperately needed a kick up the bum for quite a while now. So if they can leverage funding and visibility in order to get things moving that would be amazing. Considering just how small the game is in South Korea they do alright internationally. Particularly in Asia. But they could be a lot better.

It'd be nice if they could get some players into the Japanese Top League. And one day maybe a team in the new Japanese professional league (or GRR). Not sure what their union is doing to develop the game.

Hopefully World Rugby help them with high performance coaching in the lead up to the Olympics too so they're not losing 40-0 to everyone.