• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby - not set pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Sharks v. Hurricanes

After Beauden Barrett kicked a penalty goal for the Canes to make the score 10-3 to the Sharks, he parks himself near touch to receive the restart kick if it heads his way.

Sure enough, he finds the ball coming towards him and he tries to catch it with his foot in touch.

The ball does not pass the plane of touch and……he drops the ball infield, not forward. Then, with his foot still in touch, he picks the ball up.

What should have happened next?

The ball was not in touch when he dropped the ball, not forward, because it is "play-on" (the ball did not pass the plane). If you are standing outside the field of play you can tap the ball backwards, or kick the ball, providing you don't hold it and the ball has not passed the plane. You can even ground the ball without holding it to score a try. Play on.

Since it was "play-on" Barrrett, with his foot still in touch, effectively put the ball into touch when he picked up the ball dropped backwards infield.

Lineout to the Sharks? Should have been, but Andrew Lees awarded a scrum back on the halfway line to the Canes because he thought that the Sharks kicked the restart directly into touch. He probably did so on the advice of the AR Marius Jonker.

But wait a minute—did not Mvovo of the Sharks knock the ball on chasing the restart kick, before Barrett dropped the ball?

He may have, but in that case it should have been a scrum to the Canes where the knock-on occurred.

That's a tough situation to think through in a split second. Apart from that how did Lees go?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I reckon he went OK and by the way: the remarks were not meant to be a reflection on the performance of Andrew. If I wanted to criticise anybody, and I didn't, it would have been the AR, Jonkers.

I just thought that it was an item of interest.

Last year I arrived at the opinion that the area Andrew had to work on was his air of authority as he sometimes seemed diffident.

He seems to be better in that regard this year but he has to keep it up. If a punter like myself has that opinion, right or wrong, some players may have it also.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Please move this if it's too off-topic, but this felt like the right place to post it.

http:// www.dailymotion.com/video/xr2oqx_cup-of-dreams-cup-of-dreams_shortfilms

(Remove the space between 'http://' and 'www', apologies, Dailymotion tries to embed itself automatically on these forums)

Yes, it's about the All Blacks but it really is a remarkably well done documentary about the relationship between a boy and his father, the All Blacks and what it is like being a borderline religious figure in a nation that is still coming to terms with itself. I thought it would be a good documentary to fall asleep to and ended up wired, watching the entire thing and staying up well past my usual bed time. I can relate to his parental situation and so I may have taken more away from it than some will, but it's still worth a watch.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Please move this if it's too off-topic, but this felt like the right place to post it.

http:// www.dailymotion.com/video/xr2oqx_cup-of-dreams-cup-of-dreams_shortfilms

(Remove the space between 'http://' and 'www', apologies, Dailymotion tries to embed itself automatically on these forums)

Yes, it's about the All Blacks but it really is a remarkably well done documentary about the relationship between a boy and his father, the All Blacks and what it is like being a borderline religious figure in a nation that is still coming to terms with itself. I thought it would be a good documentary to fall asleep to and ended up wired, watching the entire thing and staying up well past my usual bed time. I can relate to his parental situation and so I may have taken more away from it than some will, but it's still worth a watch.

Not available to view in Australia.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
"Quade Cooper made the right decision with the pass it was just a shocking pass."

I think I know what you mean, Greg. Martin's superlative non sequitur at circa 11th minute mark Reds v Cheetahs as Boom Prinsloo gratefully intercepted Cooper's 20 m forward pass to cross the line untouched under the sticks.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I was at the Royal in Paddington watching the Tahs-Brumbies on the weekend, and Julian Huxley was having his buck's night at the same pub. He was kitted out in a Wallabies jersey, so it was tough to miss him.

I like the idea that his buck's night was watching his old team get a great win. Though I'm sure it escalated later.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Sad to read that, wob. Frank had a very good year leading the ABs in 1978 when Graham Mourie was injured. I'll never forget his leadership at Christchurch against the Wallabies, albeit on a typical raw, South Island day with rain sweeping in from the south-east. He got his troops' minds on the job and they efficiently cleaned us up. There was an instance when the ref pinged one of the ABs contentiously, Oliver turned his back on the ref and shooed his team back to the 10m line like a farmer getting a mob of sheep into a yard. It was a great lesson of playing the whistle.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There is something in this comment attached to the stuff.com article that I reckon we could learn from:
"You know, he earned his All Black jersey the old fashioned way too....by locking horns with the grizzled veterans & other young bucks for years before (played for Southland back in 72 I believe) & besting them. No coddled academy players back then."

Frank's name on the Team List in Heaven. Wonder who has pulled a hammie up there?

Has Peter Fat's been damaging his new team mates up there?

I remember Oliver for his part in "That Lineout" at the Arms Park in Wales. A tough critter no doubt. Sad news.
You know, he earned his All Black jersey the old fashioned way too....by locking horns with the grizzled veterans & other young bucks for years before (played for Southland back in 72 I believe) & besting them. No coddled academy players back th

You know, he earned his All Black jersey the old fashioned way too....by locking horns with the grizzled veterans & other young bucks for years before (played for Southland back in 72 I believe) & besting them. No coddled academy players back then.
You know, he earned his All Black jersey the old fashioned way too....by locking horns with the grizzled veterans & other young bucks for years before (played for Southland back in 72 I believe) & besting them. No coddled academy players back then.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeas HJ, as everyone outside of Wails knows, Geoff Wheel got pinged for jumping off Frank's shoulder whilst Andy Haden was having some footing issues. As for tough, I reckon if you named an all-time Don't Fuck With These Guys AB forward pack (let's face it, the only back worthy of DFWTG status would be Fergie McCormick) you'd probably name "Filthy" first.

Probably never got the credit he deserved, most people just couldn't see past the hard man image, but he was actually a pretty talented footballer & a very good leader as Lindommer notes above. Not saying Manawatu wouldn't have won the 1980 NPC without Frank's captaincy but he did dig them out of a couple holes along the way.

joshbristow

Peter Burge (5)
Danny Cippers named on Lindsey Lohans hollywood conquer list. The more you know!
images%2Farticle%2F2014%2F03%2F19%2FLindsay-Lohan-List.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.